Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

Super Mario Kart prototype

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magikoopa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Super Mario Kart prototype Reply with quote

http://www.x-cult.org/newegg/games/348/Super_Mario_Kart/1494/Prototype_Screenshots/

Ripped music:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cb4k1s

It would be awesome if the ROM could somehow be obtained from digitpress.
Evan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to happen.
Mattrizzle

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a few other differences in those screenshots that weren't mentioned in that thread:

Screen 2:
1. Koopa Troopa's pupil appears to be a pixel shorter.

Screen 4:
1. The item display reads "1p" before an item is collected. In the final version, it just has a 1.

2. All of the puddles except for the smallest were combined into one large puddle in the released version.

Screen 5:
1. The grassy island has more grass in the beta. (Not totally sure about this one)

Screen 7:
1. D.K. Jr.'s outfit is missing the J.

A mockup screenshot I made of the beta Battle Course 3 can be seen at the following link:
http://mattrizzle.pac.am/img/hoaxes/smk_beta_battlecourse3.png

Additionally, the full size map of BC3(minus the item boxes) used in that fake screenshot can be seen here: http://mattrizzle.pac.am/img/hoaxes/smk_beta_bc3_mockup.png

As for the ROM not being released: That's a shame, because there could possibly be unused data lurking in that ROM.

This would be the benefit of having the ROM released to the public. We may find out even more interesting things about SMK's development.

Then again, there's always the possibility that van_halen has already pinpointed the majority of the differences.

Edit: The post sounded a little too pessimistic. Edits in italics.

Last edited by Mattrizzle on Mon May 25, 2009 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Magikoopa

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the elitist HOARDERS at digitpress consider releasing a prototype ROM to be copyright infringement, and accuse whoever wants one of being a "Rommunist".
We will have to take the ROM by force.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magikoopa wrote:
Unfortunately, the elitist HOARDERS at digitpress consider releasing a prototype ROM to be copyright infringement, and accuse whoever wants one of being a "Rommunist".

Yes, let's all fly over to Sweden, find his house and beat the crap out of him till he gives us the ROM. Excellent idea. Would probably endear us emu users to more proto collectors.

I guessing you're that "OmochaoAbuser" guy who was on the Digitpress board. My only advice to you is to go outside and get some fresh air once in awhile.

Mattrizzle: It is a shame the rom isn't public, but at least the owner shared gameplay videos and pictures. That's more than most proto collectors are willing to do.
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magikoopa wrote:

It's possible you are hurting some people's feelings.
Please, remember your words can break hearts, make Rrrrrrrommies plead for their lives, and even cause incontinence.

ps I am Drunken
Evan

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this business, money counts. Throw some gold coins towards the guy, he probably would be willing to dump it. As such, I agree that it is great that he is at least going through and sharing the changes, which is more than most non-hoarders do (and to be honest, is much more interesting than me having to do it).
Kiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Evan's point at high regard here. Hoarder or not, it's nice to see he actually cares for the contents of his package. I can get pretty irritated at times when, whether a game is released or is being hoarded, there is absolutely no info on it regardless (This holds true for way too much Satellaview content)
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big bump, I have made a page on another SMK prototype. Alas, it is identical to final.

http://www.snescentral.com/review.php?id=0166&num=0&fancy=yes&article=proto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: