Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:27 pm

SMB release date controversary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: SMB release date controversary Reply with quote

Wikipedia lists 18 NES games as launch.
10-Yard Fight
Baseball
Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Golf
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Kung-Fu
Mach Rider
Pinball
Stack-Up
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
Wild Gunman
Wrecking Crew

Nintendo insists there were only 17 (Duck Hunt and Gyromite pack-in, plus 15 additional games). Nintendo Power ran a retrospective article in issue 78 (November 1995), and lists all the above games except Wild Gunman.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Wikipedia article needs a [citation needed], I think...
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously one of them doesn't belong, but the question is which...
SMB or Wild Gunman?

And yet this image from an article (by TheRedEye himself) suggests SMB wasn't one of the lanuch games and Wild Gunman was.
http://www.1up.com/features/words-remembering-launch-nintendo-entertainment?pager.offset=9

The image on page 7 has a photo of a R.O.B. product display with the launch lineup, but it's hard to make out all the pictures. (Can anyone find a higher resolution image?)
http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/5/2/sm/940.jpg
Obviously the ROB games are Gyromite and Stack-Up, below is the Programmable Series (most likely ExciteBike and Wrecking Crew), then the five sports games (Tennis, Baseball, Soccer, 10 Yard Fight and Golf).
On the upper right is the Zapper series, though I can only identify Hogan's Alley.
The bottom is the Action Series. I can only identify Pinball and Ice Climbers. The left two are possibly Clu-Clu Land and Kung-Fu.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the heck did you not link to my huge investigation on this subject?

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/167392/sad_but_true_we_cant_prove_when_.php

Wikipedia is reproducing the list from Super Smash Bros Brawl. Despite that in-game list including SMB, the Wikipedia entry mysteriously skipped over that game until my article provided photo evidence for it.

No one is going to "find" a higher resolution image of that display because it came from me directly. The full image has more of the display, however as I say in the article I'm not at liberty to reproduce the full thing.

Two games on that list don't belong: DK Jr. Math and Mach Rider. Soccer is also mysteriously excluded.

Forget about that throwaway image on an old article of mine. It probably cited Wikipedia, I don't even remember.

Seriously, read the above link, it's all in there.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the site I found out about it linked directly to the last page of the article instead of the first and I didn't notice.
BBH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/167392/sad_but_true_we_cant_prove_when_.php

I don't think this has anything to do with the phantom arcade version of Super Mario Bros that supposedly pre-dated the NES/Famicom and Vs. versions, but I thought it was interesting that the Vs. version was at one point going to be called "Mario's Adventure". It has a copyright date of 1986 on it though...

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=6009

I just find that flyer interesting because the screenshots appear to be from the NES version, since the 4-2 warp shows it being possible to warp to worlds 6, 7, or 8. In the Vs. version, the 4-2 warp only has one pipe that goes to world 6, meaning there is no way to warp farther than that. It's possible those screenshots were taken before they'd decided on everything they were going to change from the NES version.

Of course this has nothing to do with the release date of the NES version, sorry!
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBH wrote:
I don't think this has anything to do with the phantom arcade version of Super Mario Bros that supposedly pre-dated the NES/Famicom and Vs. versions, but I thought it was interesting that the Vs. version was at one point going to be called "Mario's Adventure".

That's "Vs. Mario's Adventure." Going by US copyright records, it would seem the NES version was going to be called "Mario's Adventure."

Quote:
Type of Work: Computer File

Registration Number / Date:
PA0000273028 / 1986-01-17
Supplemented by: PA0000547457 / 1990-10-10

Application Title: Mario's adventure.

Title: Super Mario Bros.

Imprint: [Japan] : Nintendo, c1985.

Description: 1 videogame.

Notes: Identifying material deposited in lieu of videogame.

Copyright Claimant:
Nintendo of America, Inc.

Date of Creation: 1985

Date of Publication:
1985-09-14

Authorship on Application:
audio-visual display: Nintendo Company, Ltd., employer for
hire.

Copyright Note: See also Mario's adventure; Reg. 10Oct90; PA 547-457

Other Title: Super Mario Brothers.

Names: Nintendo of America, Inc.
Nintendo Company, Ltd.

Quote:
Type of Work: Computer File

Registration Number / Date:
PA0000547457 / 1990-10-10
Supplement to: PA0000273028 / 1986

Title: Mario's adventure. By Nintendo Company, Ltd.

Notes: C.O. corres.

Copyright Claimant:

Authorship on Application:
graphics, music & sounds combined to form the audiovisual
display: Nintendo Company, Ltd.

Supplement to Registration:
PA 273-028, 1986

Variant title: Mario's adventure.

Names: Nintendo Company, Ltd.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they trademarked "Mario's Adventure" on the same day* the game was released in Japan as Super Mario Bros.? Now that was unexpected.

*That's if those things do indeed take one day from being filed to being published, as it's been mentioned before.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why the game was even called "Super Mario Bros." to begin with. The original Mario Bros. allowed two-players simultaneously, but Super was alternating only, which meant that the brothers were never together. Super Mario doesn't even play anything like the classic Mario Bros.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
So they trademarked "Mario's Adventure" on the same day* the game was released in Japan as Super Mario Bros.? Now that was unexpected.

*That's if those things do indeed take one day from being filed to being published, as it's been mentioned before.

No, Date of Publication is the date that the product is first sold, not the date it was filed for copyright. This is an American trademark for the Japanese game for some reason.

All of this copyright submission stuff is either lost or gone forever, FYI. All the old video tapes and stills and descriptions and code Nintendo submitted to the copyright office up until about 2006.
marvelus10

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. Back when the NES first came out, as a kid I would sit a read and reread Sears catalogues and Consumers Distributing catalogues, constantly pointing the pictures of Nintendo out to my parents. If I remember correctly they had dates in them if the games shown were not coming out at the same time.
Now somewhere on the internet I have seen scans of some these old catalogues I couldn't tell you where and when but maybe these would be of some help.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might be for some other games but not for definitively proving the release date of Super Mario Bros.

Since the publication of that article I have now tracked down one more secondary source putting the game out on New York shelves in 1985, though we're no closer to a real date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: