Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am

Monster World IV and Wonderboy in Monster Land in English!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Monster World IV and Wonderboy in Monster Land in English! Reply with quote

So, since these are kinda official releases, I didn't put the thread in the Unreleased section.

If anyone's been paying attention to recent SEGA stuff, this is probably old news, but figured it'd be thread worthy anyway!
You see, they recently rolled out the arcade version of Wonderboy in Monster Land and the MegaDrive/Genesis version of Monster World IV on WiiWare and today also on XBLA (think PSN is somewhere close too).

Now, nothing unusual about that, right?

Well, it kinda is, 'cause the version of Wonderboy in Monster Land is the Arcade version and its in full Engrish - an arcade game which was never released in English before! (Various home console versions were available in English, though.)

As for Monster World IV? Well... it's in English too! And it's not the DeJap translation being ninja'd or anything! Thus making it the final "official" SEGA Genesis release (despite not having a cartridge release.)

Anyway, pretty neat of SEGA, eh?

While Wonderboy in Monster Land reeks of 80s translations (Let's eat some SARAD!), Monster World IV I'm actually having a hard time telling whether or not might be a previously unreleased localization or a freshly made one... cool stuff either way, though!

I've already double-dipped and going tripple on the PSN versions soon. Just love the idea of seeing official/licensed translations for old previously untranslated stuff like this.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sweet collection! I like it a lot so far.

Is the new Monster Land translation based on an existing script, like from the Master System version, or something? It's definitely not based on the bootleg English version that's in Mame, anyway.

If it's a new translation, it's odd that it would be full of misspellings and grammar mistakes, especially since the Monster World IV translation seems solid. Maybe it was done intentionally?
ICEknight

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Monster World IV and Wonderboy in Monster Land in Englis Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:
Monster World IV I'm actually having a hard time telling whether or not might be a previously unreleased localization or a freshly made one...
Well, the header says:
Code:
Multi Languege  editon          Ver.2011/07/25

Sardius wrote:
Is the new Monster Land translation based on an existing script, like from the Master System version, or something? It's definitely not based on the bootleg English version that's in Mame, anyway.
I think that, curiously enough, it's based on the script from the old computer versions... so I guess there's a possibility that this one might be from back in the day (haven't checked its ROMs, so I couldn't say).
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Monster World IV so goddamn much. I want to make everyone play it, whether they like video games or not.

Also, the Vintage Collection's English version of Monster Land is an unreleased translation from 1987, according to that Ryuichi Nishizawa interview I keep posting all over the place.

Quote:
The recent Virtual Console/XBLA/PSN versions of Monster Land use the same English translation as the European 8-bit computer ports from many years before. Do you know why this was? Was there originally an official English translation that just wasn't released?

I developed the English version of "Monster Land" in 1987. When the staff of Sega was in charge of the English translation, I kept a record of it. In other words, the English (computer) versions were based off this translation. But I do not know whether Sega sold the English (arcade) version abroad. The English version delivered this time is based on the master ROM from 1987. The producer of this project found out the ROM looking in a Sega warehouse. Therefore this is a completely genuine article.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad they didn't attempt to retranslate what they had from back then, not only for authenticity but also because the Engrish in there is sometimes too funny.

This makes me wonder if they still have an unreleased English version of Tant-R lying around. Might be cool to see in a future SEGA Vintage Collection, along with Ichidant-R and Sand-R/Treasure Hunt.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that reminds me of the Monster World II SMS version in the Sega Ages PS2 collection. The game never came out in Japan, and the SMS version in that collection has a "Monster World II" title screen but is 100% in English. I guess it's a title screen hack of the English version. I wonder if it was actually ever planned for release in Japan on the SMS, and whether they ever built a final ROM with Japanese text.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual Master System cartridge changes title too if you play it on a Japanese console. You can even add FM sounds if you have the FM Sound Unit. Monster World II was indeed planned for Japanese release, but it was made at a time the Mark III stopped being a viable platform. They made a Game Gear port later on that funnily enough came out after Monster World III.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I didn't realize it would display the Monster World II title on a Japanese system. So that compilation just had the standard English version of the game then. I knew about the Game Gear port (which was also in that compilation).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: