Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:15 am

Tengen Tetris proto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Tengen Tetris proto Reply with quote

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/ultra-rare-nes-tengen-tetris-prototype-shows-up-on-auction-site?abthid=50f4ac75cab6cfb906000014

Just saw this one on the twitter... reportedly its a review copy someone at EGM had.
Corporal Ethane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about this earlier (look down a few threads in this forum.) Looks like they went down a few dollars -- when they started, they tried to sell it for $45,000.

And from what they've said in the thread below, these really aren't the holy grails they're made out to be.
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my bad.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy lord there are a lot of factual errors in that IGN article.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate TheRedEye wrote:
Holy lord there are a lot of factual errors in IGN articles.
GUTS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Holy lord there are a lot of factual errors in that IGN article.

By IGN's standards that's a fairly accurate article, too. Sad. They're one step below Racketboy.com for incredibly inaccurate information written by people who barely know more than your average person on the street about whatever subject they're writing on.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows Tengen was founded in 1981 by former Atari programmer Peter "Pong Pete" Farnelman. Tengen created a number of well-known games including Gauntlet and Tetris, the latter of which became the very first video game ever played in the Soviet Union.

Tengen was involved in a dispute with Nintendo because of the suggestive content in many Tengen games (this is why Google Image Searching the word "Tengen" brings up a bunch of naughty anime pictures). Fortunately, Tengen was able to circumvent Nintendo's lock-out chip and publish hit games like Baby Pac-Man, Super Hang-On, and the Famicom Disk System version of Aliens.

Tengen did not fare so well in subsequent console generations, and the company went out of business in 1997. Their last release was Punky Skunk for the PlayStation.
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did Tengen have to do with Punky Skunk? Far as I know, that title was released over here by Jalelco. I don't see any Google references to Tengen either for that game.

I never heard they did Playstation releases, so if that's true, that's, well, mildly interesting.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was joking. You gotta read the post a little more carefully.
Corporal Ethane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUTS wrote:
They're one step below Racketboy.com for incredibly inaccurate information written by people who barely know more than your average person on the street about whatever subject they're writing on.

I was annoyed at the most recent Racketboy article where they discuss "the best undiscovered shmups" and then rattle off a list of just about every shooting game with a cult following and hyperinflated aftermarket values.

Back on the subject of the gaming media being inaccurate, I was going through the earliest of the Gamepro volumes and came across their report on the Supergrafx. As it turns out, the report was completely accurate when describing the hardware but bent over backwards to make sure you know that while it completely outclassed the Megadrive, it was still just an 8-bit machine. They really were stuck on the whole bits thing back then.
Kiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadly speaking, any print media that relayed Satellaview information internationally would also have accuracy issues (usually hyperbolic idealistic claims, such as the ability to stream Donkey Kong Country or SuperFX titles, or beliefs that it had more similarity to the XBand in terms of the netplay environment, which Nintendo seemed to have egged on at times with it's celebrity-based games), which would lead way into IGN crediting the service to Bandai...

Accurate Satellaview information is kind of a recent phenomenon, needless to say.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscat-socks wrote:
What did Tengen have to do with Punky Skunk? Far as I know, that title was released over here by Jalelco. I don't see any Google references to Tengen either for that game.

I never heard they did Playstation releases, so if that's true, that's, well, mildly interesting.

As Arnold said, it was a joke.
In reality, Tengen got bought out by Time Warner in 1994 (right after they settled with Nintendo to become a licensed publisher again), renamed Time Warner Interactive, then sold to Midway a year or two later.

Was the IGN really the first to miscredit the BS-X to Bandai? I've been seeing that since the late '90s (and I can't imagine the BS-X to have been well-known enough outside Japan for any major gaming sites to give a crap about it).
Youloute

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they have confused BA-X (codename for the Playdia) with BS-X (Satellaview).
mrdomino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:

Was the IGN really the first to miscredit the BS-X to Bandai? I've been seeing that since the late '90s (and I can't imagine the BS-X to have been well-known enough outside Japan for any major gaming sites to give a crap about it).

Yeah, I'm sure I remember seeing it in British magazines in the late 90s - the assumption back then was that it stood for "Bandai Satellaview X". I think they just got it confused with the Sufami Turbo.
GUTS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal Ethane wrote:
GUTS wrote:
They're one step below Racketboy.com for incredibly inaccurate information written by people who barely know more than your average person on the street about whatever subject they're writing on.

I was annoyed at the most recent Racketboy article where they discuss "the best undiscovered shmups" and then rattle off a list of just about every shooting game with a cult following and hyperinflated aftermarket values.

Ha, classic. They also have a "Most graphically impressive Genesis games" list that doesn't include Red Zone or Adventures of Batman & Robin, and a "Best import Mega Drive/CD RPGs" list where the author clearly just took inaccurate info from old websites and passed it off as his own writing (I even googled a couple phrases and found the original articles, hah).
Kiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrdomino wrote:
KingMike wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure I remember seeing it in British magazines in the late 90s - the assumption back then was that it stood for "Bandai Satellaview X". I think they just got it confused with the Sufami Turbo.

I don't actually know if they were the first, but their calling it that is the oldest trace of the term currently available on the internet.

They may not have been the first - some Satellaview ROMs were circulating for about a year and a half before they wrote the article on it, and it was quite apparent that because people just assumed for some reason that they'd work exactly the same as regular SNES ROMs they were baffled by some of them and wild speculation spewed out and the Satellaview somehow ingrained in ROM Kiddies' minds as some prototype storage bin which can somehow hold N64 games.

The frustrating thing about this is how many people have gone on to/are going to "collect" Satellaview sets and not actually know a damned thing about them or have been fed a buncha ROM kiddie bull to justify their collecting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: