Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:24 am

November 2003 - Spotlight: Sunman
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: November 2003 - Spotlight: Sunman Reply with quote

Spotlight: Sunman

This piece has been brought to you by the tireless efforts of the infamous Mr. Danny Cowan, who challenges you to "enjoy the game, see if you can be a man and finish it without cheats."

And yes, he is infamous, even if most of you won't know to whom to attribute the proper levels of fanboys and fame.
Ernster
BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the looooong update was well worth it! I dont know how you guys do it but your amazing! 8)

Now to play Sunman.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: GRATE! Reply with quote

Just sampled a bit of it for myself. Good stuff. Very good stuff indeed, thanks guys.

It REALLY seems almost painfully obvious this was meant to be a Superman title, and I could take a crack and guess that maybe DC didn't feel the time was right for another Superman game after riding on such a Batman-high at the time. Kind of a shame...this could have been the greatest Nintendo-console Superman title...ever.

What with Kemco's horrid Super Deformed-meets-bad PCP take of the franchise, and then the Death of Supe' Final Fight clone, THEN Justice League SF2 Clone (if that counts), and finally the craptastic N64 game...Nintendo has yet to have a Superman game under it's belt that would have done the franchise justice. This one could have, IF it were to ever see the light of day before now...oh and granted that what should be apparent is indeed REAL.

I had e-mailed Sunsoft a few years back regarding U*fouria (I'll admit I'm an utter fanboy for Hebereke), and what I was told by one of their representitives (who happened to be fond of the game himself) that the main programmers at the US Branch fell seriously ill, which is why U*fouria was indefinitely delayed. My guess is by the time he recovered, NOA was too SNES-focussed to want their licencees to even bother with NES releases...hince the ultimate cancellation for U*fouria AND Mr. Gimmick (which was ALMOST released around that time) in the US. Since I imagine the European/Australian market was a bit behind the US, perhaps Nintendo of Europe still felt the 8-bit had life left to be profitiable.

Sunman, on the other hand, didn't even make it to the reviewers or graced an advertising presence. Yet it was more or less complete and existed as an NES proto (rathen than a Famicom proto)?

I guess there's the possibility that it could have been a US-first release, perhaps even a US-only. It makes sense. To me it doesn't seem likely that this game would have been as marketable in Japan as "Sunman", but at that time, you could get away with marketing a generic unknown comic book-esque superhero like this in the US. Or maybe I'm dead wrong there and they just COULD NOT figure out a way to market this before it was too late.

Anyways, as Superman OR Sunman (I really hope Sunsoft wasn't planning to try and pull a much-less-pathetic Johnny Turbo with that), the game is rather unique for NES standards. Great job obtaining this one.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well done! That sure beats any speculation I had. I just kind of assumed Mr. Gimmick was going to be too costly, being that it used that special board.

For what it's worth, we got this Sunman cartridge from Spain, of all places. I don't know if it was meant to be released there, or if this guy just happened upon it or...what.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Holy Crap! Reply with quote

Wow, that article was just great. Right out of the blue. I don't really know what to say here. Um... . I like swords.
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that thumbnail of the speedboat. It looks like a postcard.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballz wrote:
I like that thumbnail of the speedboat. It looks like a postcard.

Wow, check that out! It totally does look like a postcard! Man, that's awesome.

God do I hate that part of the game, though. Stage 4 can eat me.
fuck_that_noise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah... I actually liked the article though...

also after THE RED EYE!!! got this bad-boy from Spain, I was the one who found out that on the... 2nd level? You can just float in the top center of the screen and let the bad guys go around you...

I AM INVINCIBLE!

that’s the kind of life you get to live when THE RED EYE!!! lives in the same town as you... and temporarily lives with your girlfriend

oh yeah!

except I wasn't as much of a masochist as him to play it endlessly on his days off to finally beat it... but that’s where I always come to the realization that I am not THE RED EYE!!!

and I weep...
nick
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called in sick that day to play Nintendo games. THE FOOLS.

Wait, maybe that was a different day. I don't know. My memory isn't so grate these days.
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO I'd totally LAUGHING OUT LOUD if a certain somebody automatically made all greats into grates.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of GRATE!, I thought it was some kind of Italian thing before I knew what everyone was referencing.
nateJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take a break from "The Kwaaaaazy Adventures of Sard 'n Danny", shall we? I've got something a bit more relevant.

In case any crazy people with an EPROM writer want to try and make a cart out of Sunman, I made a label for it. Why I don't know. I just have this compulsive need to make labels for things, I guess.

Anyway, here ya go. There's no Official Nintendo Seal of Awesomeness or Real Ultimate Seal of Licenced Game-ness because they looked really bad when I tried to put them in.

http://students.jccc.net/~ncabral/sunman.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I dunno if it's been brought up here yet, but there's one thing I forgot to mention in the article: BMF recently discovered that there's a level-skip code in Sunman. To do it, just pause the game at any time and press A+B simultaneously on controller 2. You'll warp to the next area instantly. Now you don't have to deal with that bullshit speed boat boss anymore! Woo!

The code is significant because a similar code (among others) exist in a prototype of Batman that was dumped awhile back. Infer what you will from this.

Also, has no one else beaten the game in one cheatless sitting yet? Or are me and Red still the world's reigning Sunman champions?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you beaten it without using a continue yet? I've only pulled that off once.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, has no one else beaten the game in one cheatless sitting yet? Or are me and Red still the world's reigning Sunman champions?

A guy I know on Undernet claims that he can beat it in 1:04. And he can't be cheating, because he doesn't know any cheats.

But fuck him. I've never made it past level three. I know, I suck.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Level 3? Are you serious? You just fly through that goddam level! I don't even get HIT.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Have you beaten it without using a continue yet? I've only pulled that off once.

Nope, still haven't managed that yet. I've been able to go all the way up to level 4 without losing a life before, though, and I can sometimes even finish the last level on one life...though I've never done both those things in the same session. So theoretically, I should be able to finish the game on one credit. I just...like, haven't.

lugnut, I hope to God that you meant level 4. It means the difference between earning my sympathy and earning my making fun of you.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that goofy bullshit was moved to this thread at Off-Topic, in case anyone is reading this and gets confused.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me that's a Photoshop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: