Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Sonic computer port?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
No-face

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Sonic computer port? Reply with quote

Uh, hi. First time poster here...

Just wandering, does anyone know anything at all about the version of Sonic that was once planned for release on the Amiga/Atari ST 16 bit computers? Back in the early nineties, magazines started printing rumours that it was definitely in the works and US Gold were producing it, and given that a number of Sega's arcade titles had been ported to both systems, it seemed likely that Sonic would follow. But back then I couldn't afford to buy the magazines every month, so I lost track of the story. I don't recall ever seeing a screenshot for it, so I imagine it didn't get very far. Just one of many games from that era that never got beyond development stage - I still wonder what happened to Ocean's Billy The Kid game, advertised back in 1991.

Given the limitations of both systems, I suspect the game would've ended up resembling the Master System Sonic - The Atari in particular would've had trouble recreating the speed of the Genesis version.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember ever reading such thing in the magazines of that time, so it could have been just made up by a couple of magazines. I really doubt SEGA would have let any external company to port their system seller.

The only computer I can recall playing Sonic back then would be the TeraDrive's PC/MegaDrive combo, and I guess it was just a normal MD cartdrige plugged in, instead of a port.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there an unofficial Sonic game for one of those computers? Maybe that's what they're talking about? I forget the name, but there was a big dedicated group behind it. They made box art and everything.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's an unofficial Spanish game called Sonyc but that's for the MSX 2 systems. =\
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering US Gold was "making the game", I'm glad that it was apparently never released. Christ, they made some AWFUL games. :\
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
Well, there's an unofficial Spanish game called Sonyc but that's for the MSX 2 systems. =\

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Hm, guess not.
No-face

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Isn't there an unofficial Sonic game for one of those computers? Maybe that's what they're talking about? I forget the name, but there was a big dedicated group behind it. They made box art and everything.

Haven't heard of that one! I'll have to look it up.

This one was supposed to be official though, as far as I know. This is what was printed in the Jan 1992 ST Format: "Sonic the Hedgehog, console star extraordinaire, is also on hold for a while - it's doing so well, Sega don't want to let the rights go. US Gold will definitely be doing the ST version." Erm, and that's about as much as I've been able to find on the subject. I assume the project was abandoned due to Sega being unwilling to concede the rights to their biggest seller.

Yes, USG was responsible for an awful lot of crap, although they did a manage a few decent arcade conversions back in the day. I don't know if they were responsible for the computer version of Streetfighter 2 - now, *that* was a bad game.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if they were responsible for the computer version of Streetfighter 2 - now, *that* was a bad game.

Heh...I was just getting ready to mention PC SF2. I know Hi-Tech Expressions (and there's a contradictory name if there ever was one) released the game here in the States, but I remember magazines of the day talking about U.S. Gold's European-only PC version, prior to its release here. I suppose it's possible that Hi-Tech licensed the game from U.S. Gold and published it here...but yeah, that was awful. It looked pretty good sitting still, as long as you didn't trigger any actions that required for any animation whatsoever.

But then, compared to PC SF1, it looks friggin' golden.
treeman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember buying the PC version of SF1, the back of the box had the arcade version's screenshot on it, so imagine my surprise when I played it.

SF2 for the PC looked amazing, it even ran on my 286 (I spit on the 386 minimum requirement). It even looked better than the PC version of Super SF2, which looked like a genesis port. One thing I can't remember is if it had just one attack button or 2 attack buttons, either way I can't see the logic behind that decision. Granted most PC joypads back in the day only had 2 buttons, the player should have had a 6 button option is s/he used the keyboard. Also, Gravis already had a 4 button paddle that was available at that time. Either way, it looked amazing but played like crap. I did love the Super SF2 Turbo PC version, now that had amazing graphics and control, plus it was easier to get akuma than in the arcade version

About sonic, I remember owning (or maybe it was a warez download) Sonic 3 on the PC. In fact, I'm sure I still have it. Granted this isn't the Amiga/Atari version that No-face was talking about...
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a Sonic & Knuckles collection on the PC. I think you can still buy it, matter of fact.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are official Sonic PC 'ports' so to speak. Actually Sega just bought Steve Snake's Kgen98 Genesis emulator and used that to run the games.

I have the Sonic & Knuckles Compilation CD, bought from a Jack in the Box restaurant like six years ago, and it runs really good - if you're using an old PC. My 1.4Ghz system ran it way too fast. Also, it doesn't emulate the music, it used WAVs in the CD instead, so I dunno.

You can get these ports at Toys'r'Us. I recall them selling Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and two other games in one package.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Nothing would surprise me... Reply with quote

Nothing would surprise me for Sega. I have a PC version of Virtua Squad, which is actually kinda different from the arcade version.

Also, isn't US Gold now part of a company called Eidos?
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Sonic 3/Knuckles PC collection back when it came out. Recently I wanted to buy the Sonic CD PC version (since I don't have a Sega CD) but I had to buy another copy of Sonic 3, since they are now sold only together (ah well, the S3K/SCD package is only $10, so I can't complain about that. Though my original S3K cost like $35, so I can complain about that?).
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nothing would surprise me... Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:

Also, isn't US Gold now part of a company called Eidos?

I thought US Gold WAS Eidos.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: The Crap Pump Reply with quote

Wow, that would explain why Eidos continuely pumps out crap.

Anyways, you can find a lot of Sega games for the PC. Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 come to mind along with a lot of early 3d games for the Saturn.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Crap Pump Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
Anyways, you can find a lot of Sega games for the PC. Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 come to mind along with a lot of early 3d games for the Saturn.

I had a Gateway that came with Bug! and, umm... Viruta Fighter? I really don't remember the second one...
narc

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i have sega smash pack and virtua fighter for pc. smash pack is good but it never truly is full screen. i have no complaints with virtua fighter. US Gold being Eidos doesnt surprise me. Hopefully they will clean house now they realize they have killed the tomb raider franchise (which i never liked a lot from the beginning)
LocalH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Well, there is something coded by Dual Crew Shining for the Amiga, but other than that, I don't know of anything. And that thing fucking sucks, all you do is run to the right on flat ground. Every now and then you come across something that resembles the Motobug, you don't have to jump, if you don't, all that happens is you flash. If you do jump, whether you jump on it or over it, it disappears. It's pretty horrible, really.

I'd think an AGA Amiga could do at least Sonic 1, with it's larger palette and the fact that if you have AGA, you have at least a 14MHz '020.
Dais

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, one of the various Street Fighter 2s for PC was my first ever experience with a fighting game. My family rented (READ: pirated) it from Software Pipeline.

Even before I entered puberty, I remembered have a very unhealthy obsession with Cammy's ass.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even before I entered puberty, I remembered have a very unhealthy obsession with Cammy's ass.

I was well into puberty by then, but I too remember well pausing the Genesis version of SSF2 to stare at Cammy's ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: