Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Query to Kitsune Snipah

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dais

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Query to Kitsune Snipah Reply with quote

Browsing this board, I find you have much disdain for the GoodXXX utilities. What do you suggest as an alternative and more comprehensive source, especially for SNES games?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I like you kid, you got moxie.

As far as your question, I don't think there is anything remotely comparable.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me your Moxie! On second thought, I haven't tried it and probably wouldn't like it.

Hey Dais, cool to see you around these parts.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have problems with the tools.

On one hand, they're decent enough for having a catalogue of games. Having a database of this kind can help if you tell someone "Go get the rom that's named 'Chinpokomon Powar (J) (a1).nes'". Usually just looking for that name will help the person find the rom instead of finding an incorrect version.

But, my main problem with the tools is how howdy doody keeps adding hacks, bad dumps, and overdumps to his list instead of removing them; not to mention, incorrectly labeling some roms. If I recall correctly, GoodNES had a few good dumps marked as bad.

Of course, this is to be expected. howdy doody is -one guy-. He's the only one that does any work on the project, and on verifying stuff. The guy's only human. And working on a database with more than five thousand entries will take a lot out of anyone. The NES, GameBoy, SNES and Genesis databases contain over 4000 games -each-. So yeah, the guy's got a lot of pressure just handling those.

[Wow, I gave an opinion without flaming howdy doody. Eep.]

As for an equivalent? There is none. Even with all the problems in the Good tools, they're still the best renaming and sorting tools for console games around.

Edit:
I edit these messages way too much. Anyway. I remember there was some sort of project, not related to FEFEA mind you, that was going on at... Cherryroms? I dunno. I remember reading about this at Zophar's Domain a few months ago, but maybe it was a year back. I also remember a huge flamewar regarding howdy doody and the creator of this tool at Cherryroms... something about this new tool using GoodSNES' database. Blah.

Anyway after the Vimm disaster at Sardius' board, I've decided to keep quiet for the most part on these kinds of things. Nowadays, I criticize stuff like I have done on this post. So there. Back to homework.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use NSRT for my SNES roms. It's much better than its Good alternative in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: