Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

3do's website

View previous topic :: View next topic  
narc

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: 3do's website Reply with quote

anyone paid a visit to the once mighty but now bankrupt 3do website? Im intersted if anyone else sees the file directory full of crap that i do. It seems that the index page they have on this page is broken . It is at least somewhat interesting. All i got to say is hopefully all that armymen crap will go away.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-related question that is probably very dumb: Does 3DO, the game company, have anything to do with the 3DO game system that was manufactured by a lot of companies back in the 90's?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Mind hazy.. not sure about this, but..) Either Panasoni or Phillips owned the 3D0 console.. the other one owned the CD-i.

As for the game company, dunno.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
(Mind hazy.. not sure about this, but..) Either Panasoni or Phillips owned the 3D0 console.. the other one owned the CD-i.

As for the game company, dunno.

If I'm not mistaken, 3D0 was its own company, and the right to produce hardware was licensed to electronics companies such as Panasonic and Magnavox (hence, there are 3D0 consoles from both manufacturers). Philips invented the CDi (both the format and the console), and I think they were the exclusive producer of CDi consoles.

I don't see what any of this has to do with the questions posed, however, nor can I answer them.
narc

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said smeg and as far as i know 3do the game company was the same 3do that run its console into the ground. Trip Hawkins is the founder i believe but he skipped town before they fell apart if memory serves me.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, 3D0 was its own company, and the right to produce hardware was licensed to electronics companies such as Panasonic and Magnavox (hence, there are 3D0 consoles from both manufacturers). Philips invented the CDi (both the format and the console), and I think they were the exclusive producer of CDi consoles.

You're mostly correct, except that Magnavox didn't release a 3DO as far as I know - I only ever saw Panasonic and Goldstar models.

But, Magnavox was (at least for a time) part of Philips, so in a roundabout way, Magnavox did release a CD-i. I'm relatively positive my clamshell-model CD-i was manufactured by Magnavox.
narc

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a cd-i back years ago it was playable and called cd-i with x-eye? or something to that extent and it was a teamup with sega but i dont remember enough (i think it allowed sega cd games to play). What i do remember is playing a graphically cool but kinda crappy tennis game and one of those cd-i mario games.
Beeshu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there being a CD-I with one of the Legend of Zelda games on playable display at Sam's Club, but the mandatory cutscenes were so loud that I was too embarressed to get past them into the game itself.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of a recent SA article/prank. The victim wanted to make a re-make of Night Trap for some reason...using the 3DO.
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2181
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad that since 3D0 went bankrupt, one of their more interesting titles will go unpublished- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I wanted to see how this one actually turned out.

Guess it's time to start the long wait for a proto to surface years later!
narc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look at whats left of there site there is a folder full of the apocalypse stuff and it actually makes a working site for it mostly made using flash

the site it makes shows levels and what horseman runs it
for instance the trenches of world war 1 belongs to the god of war i believe
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also looking forward to that game. The playable demo from last year's E3 seemed pretty well recieved by the press. On the other hand, all the "inside" word I recall hearing after the company went bankrupt is that the game flat out sucked. Part of it is probably related to so many people resenting the company and the way Trip Hawkins was running it, but there were obviously some problems with the development. I think the original shipping date was actually quarter 4 2002.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: A single tear drops from my eye... Reply with quote

More importantly, what will happen to the 3DO hardware IP? Will any company buy it or will it sit in limbo forever? I know there is a growing community of homebrew developers who want to make games the 3DO.

Anyways 3do now reminds me of the magic candle series for some strange reason.
nateJC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Narc: Yeah the 3DO website is still showing directories of useless crap. www.3do.com if anyone's interested. Did you click on the 3do.html file in the root directory? It's crazy. It starts out as a site for Action Man (bleh) but goes into a bunch of garbage ASCII later on. Oddly enough, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse site is still working. www.3do.com/4horsemen/4horsemen/
Several other game sites seemed to be working too.

To clear a couple of things up, only Panasonic and GoldStar released 3DO consoles. However, Sanyo, AT&T, Samsung, and Matsushita all had plans at one point to manufacture their own versions. The Panasonic one was smaller, I think (as opposed to the clunky POS GoldStar edition) and it had a MUCH nicer controller than the GoldStar one too, like a small SNES controller with Genny-style buttons. GoldStar's controller was just awful -- it was huge, vaguely Genny-controller shaped and had cheap, sluggish buttons.

How do I know all this useless crap? Sometime in middle school, I found a 3DO at the local pawn for cheap, and it came with both kinds of controllers and a bunch of games. And yeah, it was the crappy GoldStar console.

Man, I had a lot of fun with that thing. Really, if you had the opportunity to get one, 3DO was kinda cool. Space Ace actually sort of worked right on it. The Horde was one of the best 3DO games IMHO. Mindstormer (or whatever it's called) was strangely fun too, you know, the one where you have this little pointy tank thing and you have to run into the blue pyramids to shatter them, but the red pyramids kill you. Mindless game, but fun.

Anyway, enough rambling and reminiscing from me. Just wanted to clear up some of the confused 3DO memories in this thread.

-n

[EDIT] Mindstormer!? WTF, Nate? It's ICEBREAKER! Sorry about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lives.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Yeah Reply with quote

I saw that article, is this the new Army Men franchise?
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClamIAm wrote:
It lives.

I saw this today myself. Ya beat me to the punch. ;)

Awesomely awesome.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Sarcasm Reply with quote

I hope these guys don't beat it to death like the "Army Men" franchise. It could turn out to be a decent game.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new company is NOT 3DO. I honestly don't think that will happen.
No-face

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toastyfrog on 3D0: http://www.toastyfrog.com/features/features/embarrassing_companies_01.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: