Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Iron Commando - a case of bad labeling?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dais

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Iron Commando - a case of bad labeling? Reply with quote

In searching for games that are both missing SPC sets on SNESmusic.org and also playable (which many SFC/SNES games are, I have come to find), I stumbled across the game Iron Commando, which looked decent enough, and played okay from the five seconds I sunk into it. I downloaded the "NG-Dump Known" European version as well, and it seemed to run too. Naturally, since I'm not the smartest guy in the world, I thought nothing more of this than "huh", and immediately forgot about the game after playing some horrible other games that I ironically spent much more time on.

Anyway, after hearing how dreadful the music is in Captain Commando (SNES), I decided to return to another Commando that wasn't quite so appalling to the ear. And therein lies what I believe to be the error (on someone else's part, I mean; it's a pretty cool game).

You see, while examining the primary differences between the Japanese and the European "NO GOOD" version, I found that - besides a changed logo at the start and Japanese text for the intro/title (both games use English text in the stage "dialogues") - the European version had a level select that lets you choose every level, even the ending to the game. Not that usual a feature, eh?

This, combined with the fact that I haven't found references to a European version in my (admittedly scant) search for information on the game on Google, leads me to believe this is in fact a beta - intended English-speaking country unknown, but a beta nonetheless. And it's simply been labeled as non-working for God knows what reason, without any apparent pointing-out of the beta-like qualities it contains.

Not that anyone else cares. Or if they do, it's because it's already common knowledge.

But there are shotguns. So it's awesome.
Dais

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BONUS REASONS WHY IT KICKS ASS:

You can fire the shotgun downwards at people while jumping through the air.

It has a mine cart level that totally rips off DKC, and a near-climatic jeep scene that obviously inspired the one in Metal Gear Solid.

The final boss is the bastard child of a terminator and Goemon Impact.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of labelling known as GOODtools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: