Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

Can someone tell me what makes this NWC cart worth $99,000+?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NESter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Can someone tell me what makes this NWC cart worth $99,000+? Reply with quote

As I write this there is a copy of Nintendo World Championship that someone is about to sell for almost 100 grand on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Nintendo-World-Championship-Cart-RARE-Torn-Label-100-Authentic-Adult-Owned-/221357006206

What is this madness? Exactly what is it that sets this apart from all the other plain gray NWC carts out there that typically go for $2000-4000? I thought I knew everything there was to know about the history and value of this game, but now I feel like I'm missing something.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joke bids because the thing's so ugly that it's getting headlines in places like Wired.
NESter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Joke bids because the thing's so ugly that it's getting headlines in places like Wired.

Thanks, RedEye. I was beginning to think that there must be some sort of legend attached to this label-less cart that I wasn't aware of...the seller even refers to it as the "infamous" Mario NWC cart.
Can people really get away with joke bids that high?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I remember this being the only photo of one of these on |tsr's NES Archive back in like '99, so there's some nostalgia for it. But not THAT much.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media exposure always draws attention from all sorts of people. Like that guy shopping "art" for his 4 year old at Mr. Glass' shop in Unbreakable -- or those type of people who'll go "Oh, is it that rare? Mind if I get two?"

I'm somewhat amazed by the fact that I first learned of this auction through the local media in my country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: