Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

Hey guys, what's your most memorable magazine (from then)?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Hey guys, what's your most memorable magazine (from then)? Reply with quote

My most memorable or favorite magazine has to be the EGM issue with artwork of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist on the cover from 1992.

It had tons of ads in it I drooled upon. Particularly the one of Mega Man V, a game which wasn't released over here (The Netherlands) (just got Mega Man III!).

Also the second (I believe) issue EGM2, with Batman & Robin on the cover was another very memorable one. What a great ending of 1994 that was!
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never forget the EGM2 that printed my godawful "What If..." submissions.

I'd have to go with a GameFan, though. Probably October 1995, the first issue I read. All that nutty import stuff blew my mind.
Nosuch

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, nowadays people have produced runs that beat The Legend of Zelda in less than an hour (less than two if he meant A Link to the Past).

I remember getting listed in a pen pal thing that Game Players was doing, mentioning that I was a huge Sega fan at the time. Had some great correspondence at the time with a few people but there was also one letter to the effect of "Sega sucks and you suck for liking them; go Nintendo!"

No return address, of course.
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically there is a final fantasy 3(6) fighting game now Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That also wasn't the only person to think of a FF6 fighting game. I'm sure someone else sent that idea to Nintendo Power.

I remember EGM ran a "Psycho Letter of the Month", awarding a T-shirt to the craziest letter they saw.
They took it out though after they got flooded with letters that were just plain retarded and had little to nothing to do with video games.
(I mean, the guy who sent in a photo of Mario Paint with Mario slicing Yoshi's head off is one thing.
But I think one of the latter was like "I'm holding your mag ransom and will tear pages until my demands are met... root beer must be served with all school lunches...")
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to go with the old Power Player. Power Player was the Norwegian translated version of the Swedish successor to the old Scandinavian "Nintendo Magasinet".

Originally, Power Player was the subscribers only section for Nintendo Magasinet, then it became its own magazine, followed by branching otu to including Sega and Sony shortly after.

They always ran nice reviews, Q&A sections, articles with coverage of events and such, but the thing that really stood out at the time (to me) was how they had some pretty unique sections for being a small regional magazine. We're talking the very mid-90s here now, so it was pretty cool and strange that they usually had 2 pages dedicated to JRPGs (small blurts about newly announced JP titles, listing of how import friendly some of them were, what the odds of seeing an International or US release were, Q&A for game recommendations and purchase priority ranking), and then they added a couple of pages that covered anime stuff that was getting dubbed and published on VHS at the time, and they also had a dedicated Final Fantasy section (which mainly acted as a sort of playguide for FFVI secrets, recruitment guides, etc.). They also ran a multi-issue playguide to Secret of Mana, through several issues, iirc. It was also pretty insane at the time how much space they dedicated to stuff like their Chrono Trigger review, a game never released here in Europe, and only available through insanely overpriced import shops in Scandinavia.

It was quite easy to see that these pages, features, and sections where basically someone's labor of pure love for a medium, rather than just filler content or an excuse to sell ad space.

One of the guys who used to write for these is the editor/chief of LEVEL (Tobias Bjarneby), a Swedish gaming magazine that still dedicates like 1/5 of its printed pages to retro stuff every month, does retro specific issues every now and then, with lots of cool interviews and such. He recently also released the book "8 bitar" (8 bits), which is a pretty cool book with nearly 350 pages of Scandinavian NES history too. All in Swedish, though. So probably not so friendly towards foreigners. But even by looking at the sample shots on their shop, you can feel the love still lives on.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's definately EGM. I don't remember a specific issue that blew me away, but probably one of those HUGE issues. 400 pages or so.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 1994 issue of EGM, with 400+ pages. The highest page count of any American video game magazine ever. I'm still not done reading it.
Evan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
December 1994 issue of EGM, with 400+ pages. The highest page count of any American video game magazine ever. I'm still not done reading it.

I bet it was 75% advertisements, as seemed to be the norm at that time.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, it was one of the main reasons I bought them actually. Europe was so far behind...practically everything...

By the way, that EGM I mentioned, was actually from January, 1993. Sorry. Embarassed

Here's the front cover: tumblr
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year, years later, the advertisements are part of the fun of reading one of those old gaming magazines. That's why I don't get why retro gamer magazine don't want to run more than 2 pages of advertisements. One day it could be fun to look back at those.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be the first couple issues of EGM I ever read:
Nosuch

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of EGM's buyer's guide things, I remember really liking their 1995 one, which covered 1994's games. I know the bulk of it was just reprints of articles from throughout the previous year, but still. Kinda wish I could find another copy since I'm pretty sure I've long since lost my original, though.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosuch wrote:
Speaking of EGM's buyer's guide things, I remember really liking their 1995 one, which covered 1994's games. I know the bulk of it was just reprints of articles from throughout the previous year, but still. Kinda wish I could find another copy since I'm pretty sure I've long since lost my original, though.

I have one!

I also have basically every other magazine ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoZ2oDMJ04
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one issue that actually covered Treasure's Yu*Yu*Hakusho fighting game for Mega Drive, and it was just as glorious to play as it looked. Can't say the same about DBZ 3.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
There was one issue that actually covered Treasure's Yu*Yu*Hakusho fighting game for Mega Drive, and it was just as glorious to play as it looked. Can't say the same about DBZ 3.

Indontnhave the issue anymore, but I cut that article out. I have a whole notebook full of import Megsa drive previews and ads. One for PC Engine too. Man, the good old days!
Nosuch

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I have one!

I also have basically every other magazine ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoZ2oDMJ04

...OK, that is amazing.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one really sparked my interest in gaming mags. It came with every Club Nintendo subscription in the very early 90s. Spend many hours re-reading it.

This cover is from the UK edition...
FlowingMindspin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was the Nintendo Power with Super Mario Bros. 2 on the cover. My cousin brought it over and I read that thing on a daily basis for MONTHS... it sparked my interest in gaming (and reading!).

My favorite magazine in general was Ultra Game Players... I loved how honest and serious the reviews were while the magazine as a whole had a "different" vibe to it without being too goofy or weird.
Nosuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, Game Players/UGP was great. I used to subscribe to it, and probably still have most of them packed away in a box somewhere. I remember they had a little bonus insert page for subscribers. The first one that came to mind was a cutout mask of one of their writers in an M.Bison hat.

When the magazine finally ceased publication, they changed my subscription over to some Game Buyer thing that I think only lasted four issues before switching it over to Next Generation for the remainder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: