Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

GameFAQs (and other gaming site and forums) idiots.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: GameFAQs (and other gaming site and forums) idiots. Reply with quote

I've hit the ripe old age of 25, and over the last few years, I've realized that a lot of what I've posted on the Internet, BBSes, and Forums when I was a teenager.... a lot of it was weak, and I regret wasting the time of others who were looking for better information and opinions than what I could offer.

However, at least I was not ignorant. I knew when I didn't know something, and would usually tackle anything I didn't know. Only idiots use analysis by assertion....

Thus, feel free to vent:

Really, dude, if you are going to complain about a SNES BS game, at least you should take 10 seconds to google up on what exactly the BS was and why you saw those load times.

Also, to anybody who posts a review with "Rent, Buy, or Download" or "Buy or Burn": If I was in charge of the internet, I would kickban you. :)
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaaamn.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*slump*

Oh, excuse me, that was my IQ dropping because I read that tripe.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dais

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so you've gotten more ignorant as you've grown older?

Man, that sucks. :\
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to stupid reviews, only place worse than GameFAQ's is IMDB. What's worse, if you want to take a further step down on the IQ scale, just visit their forums. I swear, the stupidity that I have read on those sites have made me lose faith in humanity.
Mia D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEN THOUSAND FURIOUS FISTS TOWARDS THE AUTHOR OF THAT REVIEW

(also complaining about BS load times JESUS CHRIST YOU INSUFFERABLE RETARD WRITER GAMEFAQ FAG)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the time to search up on info on the BS system would be too inconveinient for Gamefaqers. It would be "work". And time they could've spent voting FF7 as the best game ever, or voting Cloud and Sephiroth the greatest video game characters ever in the latest poll.

By the way, did anyone think it was kind of lame how for the last version of BS Mario Excitebike, Nintendo replaced Luigi with Yoshi, rather than make them both playable? The title screen and character select background of that version even still shows Luigi. Laziness.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient Oldie wrote:
When it comes to stupid reviews, only place worse than GameFAQ's is IMDB. What's worse, if you want to take a further step down on the IQ scale, just visit their forums. I swear, the stupidity that I have read on those sites have made me lose faith in humanity.

You can go even FURTHER down the scale by visiting Yahoo and Google fourms. Ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rahga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odd thing about IMDB reviews is that the only people who write them are the ones who think of themselves as aspiring movie critics waiting to go pro... complete with relentless posturing and self-praise.

Then they go and over-analyze Cory Haim or Cindy Crawford movies, and complain about the shocking amount of explicit content in movies like "Charlies Angels: Full Throttle".
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that kind of ignorance is not exclusive to fansites like GameFAQs. I've seen several factual errors as well from so-called "professional" writers and website. It's just more obvious when it comes from a game a guy with "numberonecubsfan 2" as his username.

For example, a Gamespot article on the Castlevania series made the absurd statement that "Konami contracted Treasure to develop Super Castlevania IV". However if the writer had bothered doing any research, he would known that: A) Only one of the programmers left Konami for Treasure and B) Treasure wasn't even founded back.

Then there was one article in an issue of OPM about the Metal Gear series which completely bashed Snake's Revenge and yet was full of factual errors (such as the false belief that SR was an American game and the "Higharolla Kockamamie" name that only appears in the manual) and neglected to mention that SR was Kojima's motivation for MSX's Metal Gear 2.

Sorry if my complaints come off a bit fanboyish, but sometimes I expect videogame magazines to be more neutral and better informed than I am.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of OT to exactly that, but...

Not just gaming media. You wanna hear something really unsettling?

As you may notice if you check my bio, I'm in radio. My day job is at the radio version of public access (like Wayne's World), called a "brokered station". Most of the hosts here are selling something, either insurance, investments, etc... or they're there because they've burned too many bridges in the radio industry. So we aren't much of a station.

So the scene is the morning after the 2000 election. We, meaning me, as I'm the only person in the building until 9am, get a call from a major Chicago station. I honestly don't remember the call letters, but I checked up later and it was one of the top three news stations in the Chicago market. They wanted to talk to the director of our news department. I explained how we're just a brokered station, and don't even have news, let alone a department. I also throw in that I'm just a board op (grunt work of audio engineering). Their response: "Oh, it doesn't matter, just tell us about what's going on for a few minutes"

So a minute or so later, Chicago and surrounding areas are hearing the voice of (according to the host) "David Durica, head political analyst for WWNN, the leading news station in South Florida." I somewhat regret not making up a bunch of crap about mass carnage in the streets, similar to what The Onion had.

Think about that one next time you see or hear a professional expert...

One of the official Big Secrets that I was taught in broadcasting school was: You can make up just about anything, and people will buy it, then promptly forget that you were grossly wrong.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amusing story DavidDurica. Would've been funny to make something up, but maybe it's for the best that you didn't.

Johnny: The bashing of Snake's Revenge will probably never cease. I often wonder if that game wouldn't have been bashed so much if Kojima had called part 2, "Metal Gear 3: Solid Snake".
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:

Johnny: The bashing of Snake's Revenge will probably never cease. I often wonder if that game wouldn't have been bashed so much if Kojima had called part 2, "Metal Gear 3: Solid Snake".

I always wonder that myself too actually (especially considering Kojima has said nothing but good things about Snake's Revenge). But still, I suppose I would expect a so called professional magazine like OPM to be more intelligent and open-minded than a fanboy. If they knew anything about Konami during the NES days at all (and is apparent they don't), is that their America manuals were not written by the original designers and often featured silly names and various contradictions (since many games didn't have in-game dialogue back then, you could make a ton of shit up and get away with it). Higharolla Kockamamie is never mentioned in the game, but do they make a note of that? No.

They also incorrectly place MGS in the year 2010 in their article, when it should be 2005, but that's just a nitpick.
Dais

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? When the fuck did MGS happened in 2005?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Metal Gear was 1995 so...yeah, I'm pretty sure 2005 sounds about right for Solid.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
The first Metal Gear was 1995 so...yeah, I'm pretty sure 2005 sounds about right for Solid.

Qwa? Oh, wait.. you mean when the game was taking place, not when it was released.

Hohum.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

That's correct.

Metal Gear 1 was set in 1995
Metal Gear 2 was set in 1999 (four years after MG1)
Metal Gear Solid is set six years after MG2 (2005) according to a conversation with Campbell in the game.
Metal Gear Solid 2 occurs in a timespan of four years after MGS1 (2007 for the Tanker chapter and 2009 for the Plant chapter).

Sorry if the thread has gone too off-topic here.
LocalH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand, is why the FUCK, out of most of the major sites, the actual site itself is AT LEAST mediocre, but the associated forums are complete shite? GameFAQs, IGN, those are the two worst offenders in my book, but it's like rare to see a big board that's not so infested with n00bs that the collective IQ of everyone that reads drops by the second.

That's why I think most of the forums I visit are GRATE, because they're nice and small- to medium-size, and usually n00bs are not tolerated for very long.

And yes, I actually typed GRATE. Fuck your fucking filter.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can type GRATE or GRATE, the filter works either way. It's GRATE.
LocalH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
You can type GRATE or GRATE, the filter works either way. It's GRATE.

No, I meant that I actually pressed G, R, A, T, E in that order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: