Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

Unreleased conversions of The Black Onyx and Hydlide 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Unreleased conversions of The Black Onyx and Hydlide 3 Reply with quote

I've been doing some research lately and thought these two items might be of interest to readers here. I know this is more of a console-oriented site, but the fact that these are Japanese RPGs that did receive console ports later on made me think it was worth mentioning. The Black Onyx conversion would have been particularly noteworthy, from a historical perspective.

These entries have been kindly posted by Frank Gasking on his excellent Games That Weren't 64 site (which is basically to the C64 what Lost Levels is to the NES). My research notes and timelines are provided below the main entries:

http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/the-black-onyx/

http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/hydlide/
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super glad I gave you those Computer Entertainer files.
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Super glad I gave you those Computer Entertainer files.

I really can't thank you enough for the effort you made in tracking those down and getting them scanned. They're just incredibly valuable.

It's a truly amazing thing to read through them all chronologically, being what I suppose would have been that era's version of a "hardcore gamer" (multi-platform user, reading most the mags and newsletters I could find, importing stuff from Japan and the UK, etc.). It's like reliving that whole part of my youth. When most of the other game-specific print sources in the US had died out and much of what was available was seemingly written by 55 year old men who only really cared about spreadsheets, flight simulators and strategy war games, or weird former arcade jockeys who still thought Atari was going to come to their rescue, Computer Entertainer was incredibly thorough and on-point with their coverage of the industry. They were so prescient about the coming video gaming revival that it's almost scary. It's just a shame that they weren't more ambitious about breaking out of the newsletter format before it was too late. They could have completely dominated the field had they gone to a full magazine before VG&CE and the others finally waded back into the pool in '88/'89.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: