Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:32 am

A Few NES Listings...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: A Few NES Listings... Reply with quote

Apologies if these have been already covered, but recently I've taken up acquiring old video game magazines (truly gems, they are), and I've been a big fan of the comic book-style ads in the back that companies listed as for buying and selling games. I've noticed quite a few that I'm not familiar with and/or have never heard of, and was hoping I could get them cleared up. All listings are from March/April/May 1990.

Aigina's Prophecy
Baby Gangster
Battlefield Napoleon (L'Empereur?)
Caracresta (Possible typo for Terra Cresta?)
Card Sharks
Cycle Shooting
Grid Grabber
Hector Vector
Hot Rocks
Hulk Hogan (WWF Wrestlemania was already released, was this an alternative title for Superstars or a different game?)
Jaws Revenge
Mission XX
NBA All Star Shootout
Price Is Right
Secret Warriors
Speed Rumblers
Spy Vs. Spy Island Caper (Spy Vs. Spy listed separately)
Super Sushi Pinball
Super Trucks (Was this going to be Monster Truck Rodeo?)
Super Ralley
Thunder Blade (Possible typo for Thundercade?)
Touchdown (Touchdown Fever listed separately)
U.S. Golf
Wild Boys (Featured in a gigantic full-color Bandai ad with Pebble Beach Golf, Monster Party, Shooting Range, and Street Cop)
Zeta Gundam
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of those have already been covered:

Aigina's Prophecy - Released in Japan. Years ago somebody obtained a US proto, but I haven't heard anything since.
Battlefield Napoleon - Released in Japan.
Caracresta - Yes, very likely Terra Cresta. That game's logo isn't the easiest to read. I think I've read it misspelled as Terra Presta too.
Cycle Shooting - Maybe some released motorcycle shooter. I have to go look up the title. Rally Bike.
Grid Grabber - didn't that turn up on pages for unreleased Japanese games? I thought there was an unreleased SNES game (proto dumped by LL) with a similar/same title that ended up released, after some rework, on PS1. Or maybe Grid Grabber was the PS release title? I forget. And I don't know if they're related.
Hector Vector - Possibly Starship Hector
Spy vs. Spy Island Caper - Released in Japan. I think awhile ago, someone found an actual prototype, along with a repro made from a hack of the Japanese ROM (very subtle differences), I've heard the title screen was the only thing in Japanese but I never played it.
NBA All Star Shootout - Possibly a mislisting, 2 NBA All-Star games were released on Game Boy
Secret Warriors - that sounds like a Culture Brain game Very Happy
Speed Rumbler - possibly an unreleased Capcom arcade game port or remake.
Super Sushi Pinball - Released in Japan, I think might've been called just "Super Pinball" (obviously different than the creepy SNES game Very Happy )
Thunder Blade - Could also be a port of the Sega game, although didn't some unlicensed company make a ripoff game?
U.S. Golf - such a generic name. I don't suppose Nintendo had any plans to port the FDS Golf (released in Japan and US Course versions), 1990 is probably too early for NES Open.
Wild Boys - completely unreleased game, wasn't a prototype uncovered at some point?
Zeta Gundam - probably Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Hot Scramble, released in Japan (and also someone notable for having TWO ultra-rare variants)

Card Sharks - unreleased, probably another GameTek TV show adaptation
Price Is Right - same
along with two Password games (which I still wonder just HOW they planned to port them to the NES, given that pronunciation of the clues was major subtle hint. I assume the player would always be the one receiving the clues, would've made multiplayer impossible or based on the honor system)
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret Warriors was the U.S. title for Kemco-Seika's Sanada Ju Yushi RPG, which came out in Japan back in 1988.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2811
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:

Cycle Shooting - Maybe some released motorcycle shooter. I have to go look up the title. Rally Bike.

No, it's Cycle Shooting, the Taito game. Home version didn't come out here or Japan.

KingMike wrote:

Grid Grabber - didn't that turn up on pages for unreleased Japanese games? I thought there was an unreleased SNES game (proto dumped by LL) with a similar/same title that ended up released, after some rework, on PS1. Or maybe Grid Grabber was the PS release title? I forget. And I don't know if they're related.

Puzzle game made by Elite. Proto exists and was dumped privately like 15 years ago, you can see pictures on NESWorld. Unrelated to the game you're thinking of, Eurit.

KingMike wrote:
Hector Vector - Possibly Starship Hector

Don't know anything about this one, though this is literally the same situation as Yeah Yeah Beebiss I - it appears once in an inaccurate mailorder list, THE SAME ONE AS BEEBISS IN FACT, which was reproduced over and over. I wouldn't take this one seriously.

KingMike wrote:
NBA All Star Shootout - Possibly a mislisting, 2 NBA All-Star games were released on Game Boy

Yes. This is a common error on these lists, there are tons of Game Boy games on the rumored NES lists because of that.

KingMike wrote:

Speed Rumbler - possibly an unreleased Capcom arcade game port or remake.

Correct.

KingMike wrote:

Super Sushi Pinball - Released in Japan, I think might've been called just "Super Pinball" (obviously different than the creepy SNES game :D )

Correct. Sony was going to publish it here, along with Super Rescue.

KingMike wrote:

Thunder Blade - Could also be a port of the Sega game, although didn't some unlicensed company make a ripoff game?

I'm going with the simplest explanation here again, which is that this was a mistaken listing for NES instead of Genesis.

KingMike wrote:

U.S. Golf - such a generic name. I don't suppose Nintendo had any plans to port the FDS Golf (released in Japan and US Course versions), 1990 is probably too early for NES Open.

They did, and even covered it in Fun Club News!

KingMike wrote:

Wild Boys - completely unreleased game, wasn't a prototype uncovered at some point?

No, a prototype cartridge that was recycled with Kickle Cubicle ROMs was recently sold on eBay though.

KingMike wrote:

Zeta Gundam - probably Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Hot Scramble, released in Japan (and also someone notable for having TWO ultra-rare variants)

It's not Hot Scramble, it's...whatever the super deformed game was, I'm blanking on the title.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
Secret Warriors was the U.S. title for Kemco-Seika's Sanada Ju Yushi RPG, which came out in Japan back in 1988.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2811

Interesting. I still have to release a translation patch for The Light of Indra, a Famicom RPG by Kemco (and perhaps notable in that the western releases of Superman had the music replaced with music from this game).
In Indra, there were signs referencing Sanada Ju Yuushi and I think Superman. If I recall, I might've replaced the Sanada line with Spy vs. Spy. It seemed like a fitting enough localization, the only other localization I did was to replace an NPC who gave out their phone number (I tried to see if it was some kind of gorowase(?) joke but I didn't have to look very hard before buying another Kemco game and noticing it was just Kemco's actual support number). So I replaced with another shitty phone joke... Very Happy

Neither of the signs nor the NPC, as I recall, were anything important to the game. Just throwaway dialogue.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

KingMike wrote:

It's not Hot Scramble, it's...whatever the super deformed game was, I'm blanking on the title.

SD Gundam World Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars?

I figured this would be the same Zeta Gundam that Bandai advertised in Nintendo Fun Club News. That one was obviously Zeta Gundam Hot Scramble.
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few NES Listings... Reply with quote

Super Rally was most likely an unreleased Vic Tokai game. I posted about it a few years ago:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=35&threadid=98131

In that post, I also speculated (rather wildly) on the possible origins of Baby Gangster, and touched on the problem of Game Boy/Genesis games ending up in NES "coming soon" lists as well.

Grid Grabber was also scheduled for release in Japan, and was previewed in one or two magazines. You can see a couple of additional screenshots here (second game down):

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/oroti/famicom/mab05.html

Mission XX was a slightly retitled conversion of XX Mission, a UPL arcade shooter from '86. I believe it was going to be released by American Sammy. I remember it being mentioned in at least one CES report in one of my old Japanese mags, although oddly enough it was never announced for release in Japan.

I may have finally tracked down a source for actual Famicom screenshots of Rush & Crash/Speed Rumbler. I'll post them here if it pans out.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres 3 sd gundam games, knight gundam monogatari 1-3, all are pretty great. so is spy vs spy 2 nankoku shirei, its a great one too. i put together two really long medleys of the music from that game, im in the middle of finishing em now. really wish we would have gotten it in america, some of these really deserve translations. hector vector was probably starship hector i would think, i put together a remix with the composer a few years back. could probably ask him if he knew anything about if it was gonna be hector vector in america.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnphase wrote:
theres 3 sd gundam games, knight gundam monogatari 1-3, all are pretty great.

True, though the Knight Gundam games weren't even out in Japan when this list appeared. And I don't know why they would be re-titled Zeta Gundam in America.

But then Bandai should've retooled an SD Gundam title into a Doozybots NES game.

https://youtu.be/e8um1N78AhY
shawnphase

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because they werent out doesnt mean it wasnt one of those games. could have been planning to release em here but maybe the licensing got outta control, guess its hard to say. thank goodness we didnt get that doozybots stuff, ahaha.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tell em shawn.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few NES Listings... Reply with quote

Brain Breaker wrote:
I may have finally tracked down a source for actual Famicom screenshots of Rush & Crash/Speed Rumbler. I'll post them here if it pans out.

I am unreasonably excited about this.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto that. Always interested to see unreleased Capcom stuff from this era. They generally were very adept on the NES hardware, especially in the music department!
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnphase wrote:
just because they werent out doesnt mean it wasnt one of those games. could have been planning to release em here but maybe the licensing got outta control, guess its hard to say. thank goodness we didnt get that doozybots stuff, ahaha.

Entirely possible. I'm still going with Occam's Razor, though: a listing for Zeta Gundam in a North American catalog most likely referred to the only Zeta Gundam game on the Famicom and the only Gundam game officially announced for North America.

Pemdawg wrote:
Ditto that. Always interested to see unreleased Capcom stuff from this era. They generally were very adept on the NES hardware, especially in the music department!

I wonder if Micronics handled the Speed Rumbler. It seems like Capcom announced the NES port around the same time as Ghosts 'N Goblins.

I hope not.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:

I wonder if Micronics handled the Speed Rumbler. It seems like Capcom announced the NES port around the same time as Ghosts 'N Goblins.

I hope not.

Even more interesting. I've been constantly fascinated by these tiny Japanese contract programmers. If it was canned, imagine how bad it must be! They actually RELEASED GnG!
Tootai

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
A lot of those have already been covered:

Aigina's Prophecy - Released in Japan. Years ago somebody obtained a US proto, but I haven't heard anything since.

Yeah it's been sitting on the shelf for years now :/
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, send it over here. I can likely dump it the same day I get it, and send it back the following day.
Tootai

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad that we have come to this, but i need the money.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you can't spend the money on overseas shipping, or you need some compensation for the proto? If shipping is the only thing stopping you, I can cover that.
Tootai

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Copynes in the closet, but no PC with a serial port... I'm sort of selling off NES things because I need the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: