Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:15 am

Castlevania 5 (Dracula X 2) actually SOTN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Castlevania 5 (Dracula X 2) actually SOTN Reply with quote

Found some scans of SOTN that calls SOTN Both Castlevania 5 and Dracula X 2.

The first scan talks about it coming to 2 systems, one of them being 64DD.

The second scan show a difference in the castle entrance. The Frozen Sprites are there and they normaly aren't.

This is a good scan too. It shows the same castle entrance pic, but there is one from the marble gallery I think that shows a spell I don't recognize. Also written is that 4 characters were selectable in this build.

In the game, you can chose one of four characters, including a whip-snapping vampire hunter who may just happen to be a member of the Belmont clan. Another playable character is Alucard. He is Dracula's son who first made an appearence in the classic Nintendo Entertainment System game, Castlevania III. There's also a sword-slinging bounty hunter and a peasent girl, all out to shed some of Dracula's blood and rid Castlevania of his reign of terror forever.[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony of the Night on the 64DD with a level/character editor! Could you imagine?

So the Belmont has to be Richter (playable in all versions of the final game) and the girl probably was or turned into Maria (NPC in the main game and playable in the Saturn and PSP versions). Who was this bounty hunter, though?
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have had a bit of a different story then.

The peasent girl and sword thrower might have been these:

The guy on left was originally a rival in CV Bloodletting, which probably became SOTN. Maria could have looked like that sprite still. The guy on the right was supposed to be Richter, since his pic is there already he must have not used the bloodletting sprite tho.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a several months old thread, but I must point out that EGM had a habit of making up names for unlocalized and even untitled games. I doubt Symphony of the Night was actually titled "Castlevania 5" at any point by Konami.

The Gaming Gossip column in EGM also had a habit of mixing up legitimate leaks with bullshit.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently EGM forgot about both Dracula X and Bloodlines when they decided to call it "Castlevania V".
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Konami forgot about Operation C when they called Contra 3 contra 3. The US localization was gonna call it IV but that didn't happen in the end.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were counting Contra Force as "Contra 3" (since it was the third game on the NES), not Operation C. Force was supposed to be released first in late '91, but it got delayed to 1992. It ended up being released a few months later than the Contra game on Super NES, hence why that got renumbered from IV to III.

Konami of America numbered its portable games differently from the home console installments. Hence why you got Belmont's Revenge and Simon's Quest as two different versions of "Castlevania II", as well as two numbered TMNT sequels on Game Boy unrelated to the NES beat-'em-ups, plus an unnumbered conversion of Alien War (which became Probotector 2 in Europe, not to be confused with the Probotector II on the NES).

EDIT: On the topic of EGM making up bullshit names for unlocalized games, I remember they once translated SD HiryƅĀ« no Ken as "SD Art of Fighting" instead of "SD Flying Dragon". No doubt they confused HiryƅĀ« no Ken with RyƅĀ«ko no Ken. The unreleased Genesis version of Ninja Gaiden was also previewed by them as "Ninja Gaiden IV".
mrdomino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
EDIT: On the topic of EGM making up bullshit names for unlocalized games, I remember they once translated SD HiryƅĀ« no Ken as "SD Art of Fighting" instead of "SD Flying Dragon". No doubt they confused HiryƅĀ« no Ken with RyƅĀ«ko no Ken. The unreleased Genesis version of Ninja Gaiden was also previewed by them as "Ninja Gaiden IV".

That mistake was REALLY widespread for the N64 game "Hiryu no Ken Twin" for some reason. I remember N64 Magazine in the UK referring to it as "Art of Fighting Twin" and even to this day there are plenty of Google results for it: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=+%22Art+of+Fighting+Twin%22+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: