Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:26 am

Hideaki Kodama (Konami illustrator)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Hideaki Kodama (Konami illustrator) Reply with quote

A Japanese seller going by the username jfkh1192 on Yahoo Auctions has been selling paintings by a certain illustrator named Hideaki Kodama (å°Â玉英章). You might not recognize the name (he doesn't seem to have an entry on the Japanese Wikipedia), but you will definitely recognize his work if you were ever into Konami games.
http://aucfan.com/search1/q-~beaeb6ccb1d1becf/s-mix/?o=t1

Gofer no YabÃ…Â Episode II/Nemesis III

Ring no Ã…Å’ja/The Main Event

M.I.A.: Missing in Action

Surprise Attack

Contra (Game Boy version)/Operation C

Contra Spirits/Contra III

Sunset Riders

Metamorphic Force

Winning Spike

He also did some advertising art to promote the PC Engine consoles released in 1989 and 1990.

PC Engine CoreGrafx, SuperGrafx and Shuttle

PC Engine CoreGrafx with CD-ROM²

PC Engine GT

He has an official website, but it hasn't been updated since 2002 unfortunately. It seems most of his portfolio consists of car-related illustrations. I'm hoping more of his gaming-related work will surface in the future (if there is any).
http://kodamahideaki.com/
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Especially since a lot of such promotional artwork ends up getting cropped, and then further obscured with additional overlaid graphics.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool. I like the PC-Engine stuff since I've seen those in ads with text obscuring parts of the images.

Now, who did some of the FDS art, like Almana no Kiseki? That would be great to see larger prints of.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one that almost slipped by me from the same seller. It's from Racin' Force, a 1994 game released exclusively for the arcades.

Quote:
Now, who did some of the FDS art, like Almana no Kiseki? That would be great to see larger prints of.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kodama-san did a fair share of Konami's old promotional art besides the ones already posted here. The unused Arc Hound cover art I posted here a few years ago in a prior thread seems similar to his style. I'm willing to bet he was responsible for the original Metal Gear cover (since Kodama did a few traceover works for his Area 88 covers for a certain edition of the manga), but I can't say conclusively.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Kodama artwork isn't directly gaming-related, but I thought it looked very similar to the Rad Racer vehicle select screen. Not sure how common the whole "vehicle drawn in profile shot on a black background" theme was back then, so it's probably coincidence.

Here's the vehicle select screen for reference's sakes.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried contacting this seller? Maybe its actually him...
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pemdawg wrote:
Has anyone tried contacting this seller? Maybe its actually him...

There's that possibility, but he sells paintings from another artist too, namely Susumu Kanamoto (金本 進). I never seen him auctioning artworks from anyone else though.

Anyway, the seller is auctioning more game-related Kodama art.

Rushing Heroes - The U.S. flyer has the artwork mirrored. The game was never released in Japan.

This particular piece is branded "RI", but I can't recognize it from any particular game. It might not even be Konami-related at all.
Zucot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this person also did the goonies 2 art. I would make a bid on that if it ever came up.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boxart for Goonies II, Metal Gear, Armana no Kiseki and Maze of Galious all have a very similar style, as does the flyer art for Devil World, Combat School, and Jackal, but I'm still not certain if Kodama was responsible for any of them.

By the way, here's one of the covers that Kodama drew for the Scholar Manga Bunko Series edition of Area 88.

It's based on on the poster for the the 1985 movie D.A.R.Y.L.

And here's Mickey Simon from the cover of another volume doing his best Maverick impression.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
The unused Arc Hound cover art I posted here a few years ago in a prior thread seems similar to his style.

And I was right.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e263234990

And here's the artwork for Over Drive. Apparently the game never got distributed in Japan either, so we only got a U.S. flyer with your usual Chicago-based models posing for photos.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Kodama has done at least one artwork for a non-Konami game, Super Aleste.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s570024972

Curiously this artwork was used for a Japanese advertisement, but the actual boxart for the SFC version is different. It was used for Space Megaforce, the SNES version, but for some reason they covered half of the female character's face up.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more Kodama flyers are being auctioned, but I can't identify the source for either of them.

This looks like it would've been used as promo art for Quarth, but I don't think any version of the game featured this artwork. Block Hole, the export arcade version of the game, had some graphical changes, but it didn't involve some Dragon Quest-looking prince fighting against some Shazzan-lookalike while dodging transparent blocks and huge spheres in an aircraft.

As far as I know, Konami never made any World War II-themed shoot-'em-up back in the day (Time Pilot has a WWII-themed stage, but that's it), so this must've been for some other company. However, it doesn't like anything that was used in Capcom's 1942 series, or the Strikers series for that matter.
Youloute

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I suspected the first artwork was for some kind of Arkanoid-esque game, but I didn't know Toaplan had made such a game. I mostly know them for their STGs and the Snow Bros. series.

Never would've guessed the second one either. I'm not too familiar with the X68000 library outside its arcade ports. I really need to get around exploring its library more in-depth one of these days. EDIT: Looks like it's a port of Wings of Fury.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boxart for 和光ã®ファミコントレード/Wako no Famicom Trade (released for the Famicom's Network System add-on) looks very similar to some of Kodama's other works. Was this particular piece auctioned? I don't remember seeing it listed.

http://jironosuke.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2015/07/post-8029.html

Compare that with the artwork featured on the following tumblr page.
http://palmandlaser.tumblr.com/tagged/hideaki-kodama

I wonder if these artwork made for some Wako ad campaign or something similar (Wako is a huge retail chain in Japan).

By the way, it turns out that the flyer art for Hard Puncher was Kodama's work too. It's on his official page.
Youloute

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find some of the past auctions here.
The picture featured on the Tumblr post you linked has been auctionned recently, but I have no idea about Wako no Famicom Trade.

Last edited by Youloute on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I've seen that painting auctioned on Yahoo Japan, but it didn't show up on their internal search engine. They tend to delist sold auctions after some time has passed. In fact, Google is how I found most of the artwork on the opening post.

The Hard Puncher/Final Round image was apparently reprinted in the 1990 book JCA Annual Vol.9, which is part of a series of artbooks published by the Japan Creators' Association/ æ ªå¼Â会社 日本クリエイターズåÂâ€Ã¤Â¼Å¡ . For some reason it's attributed to Ryu Hirose.
http://vhs-80.tumblr.com/post/166692989780/1990-x-ryu-hirose-from-jca-annual-9

This Kodama painting is also attributed to Ryu Hirose. I'm guessing the name is either, a misprint or an alias that Kodama used.
http://vhs-80.tumblr.com/post/166693874220/1990-x-ryu-hirose-from-jca-annual-9

Doing some research on this JCA organization led to yet another relic of a website. Apparently they were affiliated with some other group called ICO (International Creators' Organization). Otherwise, there's very little online information about either organization.
http://www.jca.co.jp/index.html
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-1 Sensation art is now being auctioned
Looks like the seller is made an effort to identify Kodama's work this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: