Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

DK 94 Squirrel Boss
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: DK 94 Squirrel Boss Reply with quote

I've been playing Donkey Kong for the gameboy a bit lately. And I got to thinking about when Nintendo Power covered Donkey Kong 94, a screenshot was shown, that showed Mario battling some giant squirrel enemy that didn't end up in the final version of the game. I guess the original idea for the game was for there to be other bosses besides Donkey Kong. Guess they got scrapped cause they wanted all the attention to go to Donkey Kong since it was his game. That or somebody at Nintendo thought the idea of Mario fighting a giant squirrel was stupid.

Anyway, does anybody happen to have that issue of Nintendo Power? I'd be curious to see that feature again, and see if anything else in that preview was something that got cut from the final game.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got that one. June 1994, Volume 61, with Donkey Kong GB on the cover. I'm kinda busy right now, but I can get some scans for you later this weekend.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: DK 94 Squirrel Boss Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Guess they got scrapped cause they wanted all the attention to go to Donkey Kong since it was his game.

Or probably the Super Game Boy, remembering DK94 was the reason you should buy a SGB.
(though let's not go into DKL1, which was practically intended for use on a SGB, 'cause it blurred like hell on a real GB)
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the complete article:

1 2 3 4 5 6
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried checking the ROM for anything that remained of the squirrel, but it seems that all the graphics are compressed except the main sprites used by the main characters (Mario, Pauline, DK and Junior).

On a related note, it's a shame we didn't get Donkey Kong Plus. Sure MvDK is nice, but I didn't really liked it as much as Donkey Kong '94 (the pre-rendered graphics turned me off abit to be honest). Besides, I would've loved to had tried out the level editor feature.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played the fuck out of DK94 back in the day, I have to agree.. the new game didn't look and feel all that great to me, but I wasted many, many days playing the old one on my crappy first gen Gameboy.

Perhaps giving the new one more than five minutes chance would help, heh. I'm sure it'll grow on me.
Blues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: My theory... Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm new here....

...I may have an idea of how the squirrel came to be removed from
the game so soon before it's release. DK and the Super Game Boy
were released in the US almost simultaneously, and DK was <i>the</i>
title to buy once you had the SGB. If you'll remember, the Super Game Boy
development team actually incorporated some DK game data into the
SGB itself, such as Pauline's cry for help, which can only be heard on the
SNES. When Pauline screams as DK is taking her away, the SGB replaces the squeaky sound effect that the Gameboy's sound chip makes with a realistic voice sample programmed into the SGB cart itself-----remember, the SGB worked closely with the DK team (see the game's credits). Well, it's possible that the squirrel, as well as other aspects of the game,
were programmed onto the SGB cart just as Pauline's voice sample was --- as "extras" that could only be accessed from the SGB when DK was being played on SGB. And then, perhaps due to unreasonable hardware/cartridge expenses, these features (entire levels, likely) were removed from the SGB shortly before the game's release. It seems to me that it would've been an easy thing to patch up.....no different than removing Sonic 3 from Sonic & Knuckles --- the data from the two games were programmed to work in perfect union, but they're just fine on their own, as well. Well, that's one theory, at least.......I'm sure someone'll prove that what I'm saying is impossible or say that it's improbable, though...... :P
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those scans Skrybe. Also interesting how the roulette bonus game looks different.

As for Mario vs Donkey Kong, I felt the same way while I played it. Its a decent game but it didn't seem as inspired as DK 94. The play control feels awkward at times, and earning stars feels like more an annoying chore than a fun challenge. Or maybe that's just me.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MvDK was okay, but yea, it was the controls that really killed the game for me. Mario has always controlled on a dime and in the MvDK game he's sluggish and laggy. Some of the puzzles were fun, but the game just didn't do it for me. Though the music sometimes gets into my head and stays dammit.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though wasn't it possible to program actual SNES code into a GB game and access it through the SGB? I'm sure that Centipede/Millipede had an option to play 2 player with 2 SNES controllers.
Though Nintendo said that 2 players (presumably via Game Link simulation) would interfere with the RF signal of the TV (at least according to GamePro).
And wasn't the SNES version of Space Invaders programmed into the GB cart (though they were released on normal SFC and SNES carts in '94 and '98)?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arn: No problem.

KingMike: Yeah, there was a Snes version of Space Invaders on the GB cart.

A list I found on GameFAQs says Bomberman, Contra, and Wario Blast all have "enhanced sound" on the SGB, anyone know specifically what's changed on those games? Are there any other games that have similar SGB exclusives?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:

A list I found on GameFAQs says Bomberman, Contra, and Wario Blast all have "enhanced sound" on the SGB, anyone know specifically what's changed on those games? Are there any other games that have similar SGB exclusives?

If I recall correctly, Takara added some special codes to their Game Boy fighters that were only accessible via the Super Game Boy. But other than that... not much at all...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:

I don't know who would want to play Factor 5's shitty Game Boy port of Contra III on a Super Game Boy, when they could play the SNES original with the better gameplay, graphics and bike stage.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Though Nintendo said that 2 players (presumably via Game Link simulation) would interfere with the RF signal of the TV (at least according to GamePro).

IIRC, the rare SGB2 has a Game Link port. I'd love to have one of those.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Skrybe wrote:

I don't know who would want to play Factor 5's shitty Game Boy port of Contra III on a Super Game Boy, when they could play the SNES original with the better gameplay, graphics and bike stage.

Calling it shitty is kind of harsh. It goes without saying that it isn't as good as the Snes version, but Factor 5 still did the best job they could porting that game to the gameboy. At least they attempted to keep as much as they could in the port, unlike Konami did when they ported the game to the GBA.

Though I do agree that playing the game on the super gameboy would be pretty pointless. The point of the game was to have Contra III portable. If you're at home and have a snes and Contra III, it doesn't make much sense to play the gb version.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Here's the complete article:

1 2 3 4 5 6

Heh, that DK timeline says Mario was in DK3. Wasn't the character named Stanley something-or-other?

Skrybe wrote:
Are there any other games that have similar SGB exclusives?

There's a good list in this here FAQ.
Blues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Yes, his name was was Stanley McSomethingOrTheOther Reply with quote

No, his name was Stanely. :) I'm kinda shocked that Nintendo
made such a mistake, though....Nintendo Power is near-notorious
for getting it's history straight....
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
There's a good list in this here FAQ.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Skrybe wrote:

Calling it shitty is kind of harsh. It goes without saying that it isn't as good as the Snes version, but Factor 5 still did the best job they could porting that game to the gameboy. At least they attempted to keep as much as they could in the port, unlike Konami did when they ported the game to the GBA.

Though I do agree that playing the game on the super gameboy would be pretty pointless. The point of the game was to have Contra III portable. If you're at home and have a snes and Contra III, it doesn't make much sense to play the gb version.

I just didn't like that much. While I'll admit that porting such a graphical game (for it's time) like Contra III to a mere monochrome Game Boy is quite a feast by itself, I just thought that the game itself was quite substandard compared to the superior Operation C. I do agree that Contra Advance was quite lame too.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
KingMike wrote:

IIRC, the rare SGB2 has a Game Link port. I'd love to have one of those.

Hate me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: