Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Earthbound 64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mia D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

The only thing wrong with the DS is the American launch lineup. As soon as we get shit like Band Brothers, Sawaru Made in Wario, and Yoshi's Touch & Go localized, we're golden.

Pretty Much. I'm having a blast with Feel the Magic, honestly. It's a good piece of hardware and I've already dropped it like TEN THOUSAND TIMES with nothing breaking or scratching and such. Not only that, the sound system on it is ACTUALLY LOUD so I can actually HEAR it , which I totally couldn't do with the SP.

And I mean honestly any system that allows me to hold hands with a girl while swatting away BEES is cool with me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a feeling that Nintendo will fuck everyone over once again and release a DS system with GB/GBC backwards compatibility.

So fuck Nintendo. Bastards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
I just have a feeling that Nintendo will fuck everyone over once again and release a DS system with GB/GBC backwards compatibility.

So fuck Nintendo. Bastards.

I really doubt Nintendo will bother releasings another system with GB/GBC backwards compatibility, they'll probably be way more happy to just release stuff on DS media and make you pay all over again.

As for the DS itself, I don't like it either. I don't like how awkward it is to hold and I didn't like using the stylus on the Metroid demo. The more I see out of the system the more it seems like the system is trying to rely on gimmicks, but, as always, the software will end up determining if the system is any good or not.

If some killer software comes out for the system I'll probably end up going out to buy one, but considering how often I play my GBA (not to mention everything else I own these days), feh.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the only game you've played is Metroid, so tell me how that's gimmicky. For me, and for many others, using the stylus on that game is more accurate and smooth than a mouse ever was.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's the only game I've played, and it IS gimmicky.

That isn't to say it isn't a great idea for other types of games; I still would kill to play that tech demo where you draw pacman and then he goes a-chompin'. Holding the system while using the stylus is still fucking uncomfortable though.

I also STILL don't see the point of both screens, but you know, good applications for that are sure to come out too, so that isn't something worth complaining about. It isin't like that hinders anything.

So, yeah, I currently have no reason to buy one since I know I wouldn't play with it a whole bunch, but I'm not actively hating on it (much) either.. I just don't see anything worth getting too excited over yet.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
Of course it's the only game I've played, and it IS gimmicky.

"Gimmicky" would be if it was a neat idea that wasn't practical. As it stands, this is the only proper way to play first person shooters on a portable, and it works wonderfully. I'm sure I don't need to explain how huge the FPS market is?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always played Duke Nukem, Doom, Doom II and Quake exclusively with a keyboard, and I hate the genre anyway, so I guess I'm in the minority.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
I also STILL don't see the point of both screens, but you know, good applications for that are sure to come out too, so that isn't something worth complaining about. It isin't like that hinders anything.

There is at least one thing it hinders - how the Hell are they going to make a DS Player? I don't care for portables because if I'm not home, I don't have time to play one and if I am home, I'd rather play something on a decent sized monitor or TV. If there turns out to be several DS games I'd be interested in playing (and more than likely there will be), I'm going to feel silly playing my portable system while sitting in front of my PC monitor or TV. So yeah I guess what I'm saying is I just don't get portables. But then I also abhor cell phones, so what do I know.

kap wrote:
I always played Duke Nukem, Doom, Doom II and Quake exclusively with a keyboard, and I hate the genre anyway, so I guess I'm in the minority.

I want to add something, but you've already pretty much covered my opinion exactly. Go minority.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
kap wrote:

There is at least one thing it hinders - how the Hell are they going to make a DS Player? I don't care for portables because if I'm not home, I don't have time to play one and if I am home, I'd rather play something on a decent sized monitor or TV. If there turns out to be several DS games I'd be interested in playing (and more than likely there will be), I'm going to feel silly playing my portable system while sitting in front of my PC monitor or TV. So yeah I guess what I'm saying is I just don't get portables. But then I also abhor cell phones, so what do I know.

Let me get this straight. You don't like the DS because it's inherently designed in ways that aren't your predefined standard, being "playable on TV." That's kind of dumb.

I play my DS in front of the computer kind of often. In fact, if I'm not taking a shit, this is my predominant DS Spot.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always open to new stuff...

I got myself a PDA 5-6 months ago...

After messing with the stylus for that thing for a couple of months, getting a DS in my hand just brought me to heaven!

I don't use the thumb-strap, I don't use the D-pad...

I simply use the stylus...

It's easy, it's sexy... and it looks like I'm doing something important when I'm playing Mario 64 DS and Metroid Prime Hunters!

I don't see anything wrong with the DS at all...
Sure, it's not the most pretty designed console... that's about all I can say about it on the negative side... Along with a certain lack of multiplayer compatibility with GBA games.

The DS along with my PDA are the two online hand-held gadgets that catches the eyes of the everyday cute girl walking by you on the street!

They actualy stop, stare and ask what that is and if they can give it a try.

I can just imagine the same situation with a PSP.

*man walking with PSP getting stopped by girl on the streets.
Girl: Say, what's that?
Man: A PSP, sony's new portable
Girl: Oooooh, can I try it?
Man: NO FUCKING WAY, I CAN'T SPARE A SINGLE MINUTE OF THE VALUABLE BATTERY TIME!

Okay... I've lost tracking of where I was originaly going with this...
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had this hilarious image of Carnivol hanging around a street corner trying to pick up girls with his DS.

I play mine in bars sometimes, but the only interested people are fat old and have a penis.
James

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man. I asked my dad to stop hitting on you.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious how emu authors are going to emulate this system, what with the whole touch screen thing. Using a mouse for the stylus would probably be too awkward.
James

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse for stylus, Keyboard/Joypad for the digital buttons. Add tablet support and support for two monitors. Peice of piss.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Let me get this straight. You don't like the DS because it's inherently designed in ways that aren't your predefined standard, being "playable on TV."

I'm saying I'm not particularly fond of playing portables. The point of them being that they're, you know, portable, which is why one accepts compromises like a small screen. But if I'm not going to port the portable, it might as well just be another home console system instead.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Mouse for stylus, Keyboard/Joypad for the digital buttons. Add tablet support and support for two monitors. Peice of piss.

Tablet support isn't that necessary. I thought that most tablets already functioned like regular computer mice? Wow, guess not.

And about the two monitors? Bleh, man! Just do it like MAME does with its multi-monitor games, place the screen right on top of the other!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply slide the mouse over the touch screen screen and click a button when you want it to simulate a "touch" of the screen...
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:

The DS along with my PDA are the two online hand-held gadgets that catches the eyes of the everyday cute girl walking by you on the street!

Studying my Japanese, and as the teacher suggests, I should test my memory by not studing for awhile. So I pull out my GBA and start playing. I think after about 2 minutes I sent the sorta-cute girl sitting across from me away.
SHE CLEARY HAS NO TASTE IN GAMES! :P
GBA FUCKING ZELDA!!!
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SHE CLEARY HAS NO TASTE IN GAMES! :P
GBA FUCKING ZELDA! ! !

Obviously :-(

I sold a Snes + A Link to the past to a girl for 500nkr ($79.99) about a year ago XD
(She was desperate and I needed a quick income to pay for parts of my England journey)
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:
Simply slide the mouse over the touch screen screen and click a button when you want it to simulate a "touch" of the screen...

A good example of this can be seen here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: