Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Potential topic of interest: Dragon Hopper (Virtual Boy)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dais

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Potential topic of interest: Dragon Hopper (Virtual Boy) Reply with quote

http://www.vr32.de/spiele/unreleased/dragon_hopper/index.e.htm

Rather interesting, if I do say so.....obviously, it wouldn't have saved the Virtual Boy from it's horrible death, but it looked promising.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda reminds me of Maze Hunter 3D/Maze Walker, only with decent character designs.
merp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I like the name that went with the game. It sounds too much like a common Japanese action/puzzler. However, the game looks absolutely stunning. I think it should have been ported to the GBC atleast. It would be a REAL find if this ever comes into the wild. Too bad the choices for Virtual Boy emulators are rather poor.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It's probably one of the few unreleased games I'd really like to see now.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merp wrote:
It would be a REAL find if this ever comes into the wild. Too bad the choices for Virtual Boy emulators are rather poor.

Actually, it was found years ago. There's even a very private dump that has been passed around, from what I understand.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if Virtual Boy prototypes are ever to be found and released it's likely going to be through other avenues than us. I think we all know better than to even dream penetrating the layers of fatty grease you'd have to hack through to get anywhere in the Virtual Boy "scene".
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in playing this game for a long time. It would've been great if Nintendo considered revisiting the game on the GBA or so, but that's just wishful thinking.

I had no idea the game was privately dumped. Well at least the game is preserved for now if that's true.
merp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the review on the provided webpage, the author of the review MUST have played the game to a large extent. Would it be out of line if one of the staff members of Lost Levels asked somebody at Planet Virtual Boy to do a guest review on a Lost Levels release? Another area to check would be emulator authors.

I'm sorry to say that Zero Racers and Bound High just don't look like any fun to me. Bound High is very pleasing to the eye, but looks repetitive and lifeless.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost Levels doesn't do releases, per say. That's not the point. Yes, some games are first seen here in conjunction with an article that gets put up here, but the site is more than a glorified dump. This site will continue to exist with or without releases, as long as the people involved remain interested and there's still interesting material to cover.

That being said, it'd be great if the Planet Virtual Boy folks and/or the owner of Dragon Hopper would be willing to contribute to a piece, with or without a release.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also with Zero Racers/G-Zero, I don't know if it'd be very fun with wireframe graphics.
That's exactly what turned me away from playing Red Alert when I played it once.
(WTF is going on?)
merp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
That being said, it'd be GRATE if the Planet Virtual Boy folks and/or the owner of Dragon Hopper would be willing to contribute to a piece, with or without a release.

I've contacted them pro bono. If everything goes well... well you'll know. :D

The public needs to know more about this game. Perhaps Planet Virtual Boy has some contacts that could tell more about the production of the game that they recieved after making that review.
KR155E

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Dragon Hopper Reply with quote

Hello guys. I am the one who wrote that article about Dragon Hopper, and I am afraid I have to tell you that I got all the info in it from magazines or press releases, I have never played the game, as I have never played any other unreleased Virtual Boy game (yet?).

As merp said, he contacted me about it and I replied that I'd love to contribute to this site. However all I could provide would be the description of the game which is already on PVB, plus a bit of history as an introduction.

To come back to prototypes, I only know of one existing proto of an unreleased game, which is Faceball. It's the first time I hear about a dump of Dragon Hopper. Could you tell us the whole story about that, Frank? Or could you contact me at krisse@vr32.de and tell me all the details you know about it? I'd try all I can to get that dump.

Oh, btw, I (again) contacted Intelligent Systems, the company which developed Dragon Hopper, today. I don't think that I will have any success with that, but maybe... It would be nice to talk to anyone who was involved in developing that game :D

KR155E
merp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KR155E,

Your enthusiasm and dedication are much-respected qualities. Keep your hopes high and always look for another angle of interception.

Thank you for all that you are doing. Good luck with Intelligent Systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: