Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 am

Tomba! 3 for PS2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Tomba! 3 for PS2 Reply with quote

The Tomba!/Tombi! series by Whoopee-Camp for the Playstation had to have been one of my favorites during the prime days of the PSX. Back during 2001 I checked the website and saw an ad promoting a new version for the PS2.

Recently when I tried to check back on them to see if they had canned the game or were still working on it; I saw that there was no website anymore. Archive.org's last entry for http://www.whoopeecamp.co.jp is August 8th, 2003. My guess, according to the titlepage, is that they merged with Deepspace which as you can see also doesn't exist anymore. They seem to have made a lot of horror/thriller games. Cutesy adventure to horror/thriller... Hrmm.

Well anyway, the information on Tomba! 3 disappeared between May 16th and September 24th of 2001. That tells me that they really didn't get much developed before whiping it completely off their page. Kind of sad, actually. I would have definitely purchased it.
narc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomba was definitely a odd game with a lot of charm and fun. I remember reading a tiny mention of tomba 3 (in psm i think) but didnt see or hear anything else. Sucks that they didnt finish making it.
merp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narc wrote:
Tomba was definitely a odd game with a lot of charm and fun. I remember reading a tiny mention of tomba 3 (in psm i think) but didnt see or hear anything else. Sucks that they didnt finish making it.

If you or anybody else has a scan of that, I'd really like to see it. I'd atleast like to track down some of the previous employees of Whoopee Camp and ask them for some concept art. The problem is most of them probably don't speak English.

I wish I would have taken Japanese in school instead of French now. There are so many hot girls in there though... *drool*
merp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking for more information regarding Whoopee Camp's disappearance.

And I'm still finding information... However splotchy and vague.

"Founded in 1979, Capcom started out slowly. During the mid to late eighties, however, the two game designers at the company – Yoshiki Okamoto and Tokuro Fujiwara, churned out a number of classic and ground breaking titles including 1942, 1943, Commando, Ghosts’n’Goblins and Final Fight, establishing Capcom as a company with serious talent."

??? ????
Whoopee Camp founded by Tokura Fujiwara.

May 1998
"SCEI and Whoopee Camp established a joint venture company named "DEEP SPACE". Mr Fujiwara, president of Whoopee Camp, was named Executive Producer in the new company. Deep Space is expected to develop new real-time adventure games to be published by SCEI " They develop two games: Extermination and Hungry Ghosts.

January, 16th 2002
Access Games (the remains of Whoopee Camp/Deep Space) is founded. One game, Spy Fiction, is in the making.

This is all Google will provide. Next step is Excite.co.jp using Japanese characters...

There's no way in HELL I'm going to be able to contact Tokura Fujiwara, so I found another guy who now works for CYBIRD that I hope gives me some information. The site is mostly in English. That gives me some reassurance.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Hungry Ghosts at home (never touched it)

Also got the Japanese version of Spy Fiction (awesome Metal Gear Solid + Tomb Raider combo)
Everyone should pick that one up!
(especialy now that the awesome reworked English version is out)

I suppose "someone" at this company must know English, as even though the English version of Spy Fiction has new recorded voice acting, the original Japanese version had English voice acting too (which in my opinion was kinda better... propably had something to do with me playing that one first...)

Anyway, I was never very captured by Tomba... didn't even know there was a nr.3 in production...

Only PS2 game I can think of at the moment that I've seen listed on release lists and stuff that just never arrived was a "Rock'n Roll Racing 2" that was listed on some release lists (which I found very odd... as a VERY crappy "Rock'n Roll Racin 2 - Red Asphalt" exists on the PSX)
narc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If im able to find and scan that mention of tomba 3 i will but unfortunately no promises due to school and the fact that i have boxes upon boxes of egm, gamepro, psm, etc. and they are not sorted. Not to say i wont give it a go if i can.

On a side note i remember that mention of rock and roll racing myself I guess the attempt to ressurect that franchise wasnt worth it.
PlayStationMuseum
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume no one found scans of Tomba 3? I never like the Tomba series, but I would have loved to see how it would have been on PS2.
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlayStationMuseum wrote:
I assume no one found scans of Tomba 3? I never like the Tomba series, but I would have loved to see how it would have been on PS2.

Thread necromancy is frowned upon in most forums. Unless you have something mindblowing to add, you should not reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: