Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

More Unreleased SNES info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akbar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the scans. This game would've been incredibly funny, even if the gameplay were lousy.
Thad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Odd. Found this forum searching for info on Socks the Cat, and the name "Jonny Geddes" leapt right out at me.

I knew a guy named John Geddes on the old Prodigy Video Games BB. He went by King Lawnmower. Anybody know if it's the same guy?
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at what I just found.

http://vice.parodius.com/stuff/socks.jpg

I found what appears to be a review done by Gamepro back in the day! This is from the short-lived Mexican 'version' of Gamepro (which was more or less the US version of Gamepro, minus all the ads, 75% less content, and translated through Babelfish). I was looking for these magazines to show in class tomorrow, and I saw that while thumbing through Volume 1, Issue 2 (August 1994). So, the same review must be in the US version somewhere. The cover has Super Street Fighter II on it, and I guess it was originally published in May or June '94. Just so you have an easier time finding it, lugnut. :)

The "review", if you can call it that, kinda says the following:

-------------
Super NES
By the Trainer (Coach?)
Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill

Just as the President's cat is being put to sleep (Note: Is he being put to bed, or is he being euthanized? Dammit, stupid gringo translators!, comic (humorous / funny) villains show up to add humor to this game.

PROTIP: Fix the dates in the embassy's secret room to get continues.

When spies steal a portable nuclear missile launcher, it's up to Socks to alert everyone. With both the Secret Service and the media on his tail, Socks jumps, rolls, claws, runs and hangs over some of Washington's most known monuments, such as the Pentagon.

Both the graphics, which are cartoonish and lifeless, and the fake meowing, strip personality from Socks. Controlling his many moves requires practice, but they are effective, even if they aren't needed in this simple game. The best part of it are the bosses, which are parodies of famous Washington politicians. The satire makes the game purr, but not roar.

PROTIP: Don't let reporters takes Socks' picture.

Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill
(by Kaneko)
Graphics: 3.0
Sound: 2.5
Control: 3.5
Fun Factor: 3.5
Difficulty: Beginner

Price not available
8 megs
Available now
Action / Adventure
11 levels
One player
Side-scrolling
Multidirectional
-------------

I said gringo translators up there because the magazine states that it was translated in Florida. Which has some really awful Spanish speakers. Eheh. Anyway, hope someone here can make use of this.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those shots are super-pixelated. Nice going, LamePro.

*zing*
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
translated in Florida. Which has some really awful Spanish speakers.

Yeah, Spanish here is a hodgepodge of Spanish dialects, mixing Puerto Rican, Cuban, the other 8.000 variants in the Bahamas, and you'll even encounter some Spanish from Spain. Then throw the Mexican immigrants into the mix, who most of the _other_ hispanic imports avoid like the plauge (when not haterizing on each other), outside of the local bodegon.
My g/f grew up around New York Puerto Rican spanish, so she can't make heads or tails of what's going on down here. ^_^
Of course, her spanish sucks anyway, so she doesn't have much of chance to begin with.
pineapplehead2
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there a proto of this in a collectors hand or is it yet to be found, but if it was reviewed it must have been 100% complete and may have been on ready to go format so how was it not realised.?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Wow, those shots are super-pixelated. Nice going, LamePro.

I don't think that was the magazine's fault, but the translator's fault. Most of the game shots in the Spanish issues looked like that - which is why I stopped buying the magazine after two issues. I guess that they were downsampled during the reprinting / reediting process.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maximo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Daze Before Christmas"

This game is a piece of crap! I should know since I was involved with the development in the beginning. Rita Zimmerer at Sunsoft wanted a "Christmas" game so I conceptualized it and a Norway developer FUNCOM was hired to develop it.

The idea was that Santa Clause was "over worked and under paid" and was even having labor issues with the elves when a union rep shows up to cause even more trouble named "Louse the Mouse". The games was about the behind the scenes turmoil of getting christmas presents readt to roll on that special night.

The basic idea was okay, but since we were too busy with so many developments, Funcrap essentially took the concept document and made the game installing some or many of their own ideas. It turned out to be ugly and Sunsoft decide to cancel it, but somehow Funcow managed to put it out there and is available as a ROM for a NES emulator. If you can't find it I will send it to you, just remember that I warned you!
Evan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Sunsoft actually released the game in Europe.
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thad wrote:
Huh. Odd. Found this forum searching for info on Socks the Cat, and the name "Jonny Geddes" leapt right out at me.

I knew a guy named John Geddes on the old Prodigy Video Games BB. He went by King Lawnmower. Anybody know if it's the same guy?

I knew King Lawnmower back in the day of the P* boards! He was a dick.

Sorry for being a little slow to reply.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socks the cat is something I was interested in back in the day. It's too bad it hasn't ever been released on the internet. That would of been something to see.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, daze before christmas was definitely released. released all over my face. played it and everything.

also one broken link from this thread becomes less broken as of here: http://pentarou.yuudachi.net/unrel/socks.jpg
Evan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Bump!

http://snescentral.edgeemu.com/unreleased.php

Since I have all these Nintendo Power magazine scans downloaded, I am going through each issue with a fine comb and listing whatever information I can find. I am up to the July 1993 issue, and my list is up to 78 entries. The most interesting thing I have found in my searches was a beta rom of the unreleased Mick and Mack - Global Gladiators, which I didn't have in my rom collection.
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about that awhile ago.
Sucks that there isn't a "pure" dump (without the dumper's intro).

And... Lost Mission was released in Japan as "Shinseiki Oddysselya (1)" (spelling?)
Could've sworn I read somewhere in NP that Bobby's World started off under the Home Alone license (Home Alone 2: Kevin's Dream)

Dream Probe did see release in Japan, under the name "Psycho Dream".

Commanche: what the heck is a Super NES Game Link?
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Commanche: what the heck is a Super NES Game Link?

Maybe the game would've had a port on the cartridge to connect it to another cartridge (like the SGB2 has a link-port) or maybe it was to be like those MegaDrive/Genesis game (Zero Tolerance?) that supports linking by putting a cable between a controller port on two systems.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reallly looking forward to that Commanche. It looked FMV-ish, although the comment I read in EGM implied that it was grainy, but amazing to look at, and the graphics may of been cleaned up some by the release.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
And... Lost Mission was released in Japan as "Shinseiki Oddysselya (1)" (spelling?)

Yep. A fan translation for Odysselya was in the works a few years ago, but I don't know if it was ever completed. If I remember correctly, the game was tough to patch.

Evan, you can use these scans for your site, if you like.

http://www.kidfenris.com/nplostmission.jpg

http://www.kidfenris.com/egmlostmission.jpg

I don't think it was a British-made game; everything points to a Japanese developer. I'm not sure about the overall plot, but the opening involves a dragon-man named Kyle (yes, that's an accurate translation of his name) finding an amnesiac woman in the woods and leading her back to the human world or whatever. The player chooses the woman's name, which may explain why she's called "Jeff" in that NP preview.
GDRI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
I don't think it was a British-made game; everything points to a Japanese developer.

The credits prove you right.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Nintendo Power lied about Lost Mission then.

Quote:

Dream Probe did see release in Japan, under the name "Psycho Dream".

I was aware of that, but I didn't update my page.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was broken communication flow between source and Nintendo Power, and that it was the localization that was handled by a British studio ? (@Lost Mission)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: