Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

ROMS....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: ROMS.... Reply with quote

Are companies beginning the crack down on ROM pirates???

I was just wondering if any MPAA or RIAA style crackdowns were happening in the ROM industry???
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the only company that actively goes after rom dumpers and sites is Nintendo; but that's because of their GBA, which is still in active production.

Sony and Microsoft don't exactly go after sites, but M$ is heightening security measures to prevent people with modded consoles to use their XBox Live service. And Sega doesn't really care for their old games. I've never heard of them going after rom sites or people, unless they had something to do with the GBA.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even then N only seems to check english language sites, too.
I've had the same french roms site bookmarked for three computers, and they've got everything (arcade or console) except recent Neo-Geo, I think. I've honestly never checked all of the site.
treeman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sega cracked down on me when I was selling rom CDs back in 98 but that's probably because I was making a profit off their property. No charges were pressed because I stopped selling them. But that was years ago and I guess it doesn't affect how they function now.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ROMS.... Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:

I was just wondering if any MPAA or RIAA style crackdowns were happening in the ROM industry???

There's a ROM industry?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ROMS.... Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
SlyphGlitch wrote:

There's a ROM industry?

It's no NOM industry AM I RITE?
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: ROM industry... Reply with quote

Ok so there's no ROM industry...
But you guys know what I mean.

I just followed the recent link on the forums to the Star Fox 2
translation and I saw a lot of other games that I would really like to play.

But, I know that the MPAA and RIAA are finally beginning to deploy stormtroopers and I was wondering if the same thing was happening against ROM distros.

PS - Is there any legal way to get Japanese games that are unreleased in the US???
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ROM industry... Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
Ok so there's no ROM industry...
But you guys know what I mean.

I just followed the recent link on the forums to the Star Fox 2
translation and I saw a lot of other games that I would really like to play.

But, I know that the MPAA and RIAA are finally beginning to deploy stormtroopers and I was wondering if the same thing was happening against ROM distros.

Well, the RIAA has been suing people for a while now, so I wouldn't call that finally.. semantics aside, though, I don't think I've ever seen anyone besides Nintendo (or the IDSA and it's members or whatever) do anything about roms online. Then again, I don't know what kind of constant threat mame.dk was under, for example, I don't think their problems were solely bandwidth. Maybe someone here knows more.

Also, ROM distro.. doesn't mean anything to me. You mean people who distribute ROMs? Who does that these days? Everyone is kind of, I dunno, underground, probably because they DON'T want to be sued..
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: ROM industry... Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
PS - Is there any legal way to get Japanese games that are unreleased in the US???

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I'm moderately positive that buying them is not illegal.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: ROM industry... Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
SlyphGlitch wrote:

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I'm moderately positive that buying them is not illegal.

That was why I didn't bother replying to that particular question!
Jonnymaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: ROM industry... Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:

Yea. Buy 'em. I do it all the time, the Fuzz hasn't shown up at my door.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: ROM industry... Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
SlyphGlitch wrote:

Despite the claims of Ebay, Namco, and Sony, it is perfectly legal to import games.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If eBay says that it's illegal to import games, why do they allow the auctioning of imported games in their site? Stupid. I've seen TONS of auctions for Japanese games, from Japanese sellers, targeted towards US buyers for years...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
If eBay says that it's illegal to import games, why do they allow the auctioning of imported games in their site? Stupid. I've seen TONS of auctions for Japanese games, from Japanese sellers, targeted towards US buyers for years...

Back when the DC was alive and well, ebay went on a couple of jihads against import DC games, claiming that they were illegal to import.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: ROMS Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the info, I guess should some more looking around on the subject. Though I've looked on ebay for some stuff, going ebay tends to be an interesting experience.

Thanks.
narc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then again, I don't know what kind of constant threat mame.dk was under, for example, I don't think their problems were solely bandwidth. Maybe someone here knows more.

The story behind the first time they shut (as i read and heard) was that arcade@home's owner helped pull the plug on them somehow. There was ICQ logs of that supposed conversation floating around but i doubt it now.

As for most roms sites the main problem is bandwith but bittorrent is helping to ease that somewhat. Another option is IRC. I have saw several romsites get hit by the IDSA but most of those are SNES rom sites
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, now that bittorrent is widespread, it makes it harder for companies to go after sites.

They can now pinpoint the exact IP addresses of people downloading stuff, and go after them.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="narc"]
Quote:
As for most roms sites the main problem is bandwith but bittorrent is helping to ease that somewhat. Another option is IRC.

Am I the only person on Earth who thinks that Usenet is the greatest haven of piracy and evil out there? I took it to be fairly anon, since the pedo's rely on it. They usually have a bit more to worry about than the average mame leecher.
a.b.e.mame, a.b.e.arcade, a.b.e.gameboy.advance, a.b.e.nintendo, that's just a couple of the alt.binaries.emulators heirarchy. And with the mpaa finally doing something about p2p movie piracy, a.b.movies is more important now than ever before.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidDurica wrote:
Am I the only person on Earth who thinks that Usenet is the GRATEest haven of piracy and evil out there?

I think the average internet user is afraid of Usenet, because they don't know how to use it.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average ISP also doesn't carry USENET support. At least not as far as I know.

But if AOL carried it and promoted it, hoo boy... just imagine...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: