Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

Great ROM Debate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pineapplehead2
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Great ROM Debate Reply with quote

In you Opion, do you think ROM's are good or bad, do you think they should be Legal or Ilegal, do you think Nintendo Views are stupid or good on the debate on why ROM's are bad.

IMO ROM's from NES to N64 and other old systems are good as no one is loosing money from them and I think the ROM's for PS2,GCN etc are bad as it is stealing and I dont think DL classics like Bucky O'Hair for NES is not stealing as the game is long dead and no one is making money from it.

by the way, if its a PS2 game that is not being made no more then I think it should be legal.

OLD games or not being made games turned into ROMS: good
NEW games turned into ROMS: Bad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you suggest that you should also be able to just walk into my basement anytime and take my old PC games just because I don't use'em anymore?

One of the reasons why companies are picky about the legal rights and such for roms is something simple.

Okay, you download River City Ransom (NES)

Now... what's this, Atlus bought River City Ransom and brushed it up for GBA.

Now, would you buy RCR for GBA if you just could download it and play it?
Would you buy it after playing the rom for several hours?

Would you manage to steer away from the temptation of just fetching this game for free from the internet rather than purchasing it?

If a game's published or not...
So what?

Someone might figure out that they wanna re-release their old stuff, just to either bring "something" to the crowd or to earn in a little money.

Like "Capcom Generations" or evt. in a low-price/budget release like "CapKore", "The best", "platinum", etc...

Not very tempting to buy those when you've already downloaded them is it?
FlowingMindspin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take a standpoint similar to yours, pineapple, but then I realized the truth of what Carnivol said up there... you'll probably realize it someday, too.

Also, you say downloading PS2 ROMs is wrong, but then you say ones that aren't being made anymore are fair game. That doesn't compute... it's one or the other with the way you worded it.

Any way you shake it, it's still illegal. Yeah, people will still download the things, but that's the bottom line.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognize that they're illegal, but I don't care. I freely pirate snes, nes, gb, gba, arcade, and such. However, I buy a metric crapton of games anyway, so I know I do my bit for god and country. There's some titles, particuarly with the GBA where I do actively pirate current games. Some of them are stuff I bought the first time, like LttP, and there's even a few that I've bought after playing the rom for a while. Castlevainia: Musicthing of Thesecondgame comes to mind off the top of my head, as flash carts can be twitchy about saveing. %124 of castle cleared, only to lose it. GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.
Another good example of "hey, this is fun. I should legally own it" was SvC. I had downloaded whatever hack it was that worked, and enjoyed enough that I bought the PS2 version.
The only time I think where me having access to emulators has genuinely cost a company money is the NES classics series for the GBA. But N really half-assed those, so I feel no sympathy for them when I PocketNES.
I just started screwing around with GB emuing on the GBA. Next up on my "Buy it because I like it enough" is some game called "Lucky Monkey" "Avenging Spirit" for the GB, and Metal Slug Advance.
MSA ended up far better than I expected.
And they aren't roms unless its from a cartridge. The proper term is rom image, anyway. The idea being that they've taken a "snapshot" of the data on the READ ONLY MEMORY chips. CD images are what you download for PSX games.
Oh, also, after playing PuyoPuyo Fever for the GBA my g/f made me get the GC version. I'm still trying to convince her to be happy with Samurai Shodown 2 on NeoRage...
Brian_Provinciano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, there are different types of ROMs. ROMs can be of commercial games, or homebrews. Homebrews being free, are 100% fine to distribute if the author gives permission. The commercial ones are different though. Even if they are for old systems, it's still illegal to distribute them. And the fact is, although the developers and such may not be selling the games anymore, they can still be found on ebay and such. And the majority, very cheaply. Even if they can't be rented anymore, one could easily buy them and relist them on ebay when done. Distributing commercial ROMs on the net is not good. As well, the games are still owned by the companies, for possible rereleases or sequels. The exception is for games such as these unreleased ones which never saw the light of day and were never available in stores. Unless the original developers/current owners disprove of their release, it's great to see them finally out there!

However, if you own the commerical game, and want to dump it and play with it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to. Just as if you buy a car, you can paint it, pimp it, and open it up to look under the hood. Sure, a car company could tell you your warranty is void if you pimp your vehicle, but they can't stop you from doing so once you've purchased it. The same goes for ROMs. If you buy a game, you can dump it, modify it, and disassemble it. Provided, you don't distribute it either. If you do modify a ROM though, releasing patches without a ROM, which the players can only use if they have a ROM themselves is fine as well. If you legally own the game, there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to mess with it for personal use.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Mixed feelings... Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about this subject. There are a lot of games out there I would love to buy, but aren't available in English.

Perfect examples are Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, and Seiken
Densetsu 3. If these games were released on GBA I would be more then willing to pay money for them.

Also a lot of arcade games would have disappeared by now if it wasn't for emulation. Look at Mame for example..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: