Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Bandai Pippin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XDelusion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the Mac Mini (Pippin II ;) )comes without mouse and keyboard is fine with me. Do you realize how much Apple charges for there own!? It would cost you an additional $60.00 to have both. In which case I'm glad I can just use some of the extras I've got sitting around here.
Also this comes with a VGA adaptor, which fits in with the PC croud nicely. The OS is fully configurable (if not bloatware), and would run very well as a game console, as there is a $30 TV adaptor available, not to mention drivers available for XBOX joypads, which by the way are easy to adapt to USB, just match colors, and cap the non-matching cable.
Another thing, this beats out Sony's plans for the PS2 Multimedia Machine, as you can purchase a DVD-RW + and - compatable for it. And the thing is only the size of a 25 pack spool of CD-R's squared.
You CAN NOT buy a PC ANYWHERE on-line that is this small for one, and near this price for a second. Microboard set ups do not come cheap in the PC world. This motherboard was researched, unlike the off the shelf style of the PC world. On top of this you get the superior G4 CPU, a superior yet bloated succesor to winblows, which just happens to be Unix like under the hood, which means you can do pretty much what ever you want.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Kap, how many Apple users after seeing the beauty of the Aqua interface would switch to a relatively ugly X11 setup? While there are tools to help over come some of X's short comings, I think it would feel like a step backwards for most OSX users. Also what other types of Linux other then Yellow Dog, run on Macs? Or are you talking about various versions of BSD?

X, Apple might be ahead right now in small foot print machines with the mini-Mac, but due to market forces the PC will catch up it's just a matter of when.

On another note, does anyone here have any info on the graphical power of the Pippin? Other then it's resolution(640x480x16bit), I can't find much about it.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually know a few people that bought Apple hardware specifically to run linux. Kind of silly if you ask me, but they do it.

There are some X11 setups that aren't ugly, but I would agree the average is ugly. But, you brought up choice, I was just telling you. I stand by what I said anyway; if you buy a Mac you typically don't want to run Windows anyway, so OS choice is kind of a stupid argument.

I'm sure some manufacturer will come out with some micro formfactor all in one PC soon enough too, but the mini exists.. well, now. Wonder what it'll cost when a PC knockoff does get around to existing though, because unless someone like Dell does the work, I'm betting it'll cost more. (Wait, I'm forgetting about noname manufacturers in China. Hmm.)
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are aware that companies like Shuttle have been making micro-sized PCs for years now, right? No OS, CD, floppy or hard drive, but they're still pretty frickin' small. Too bad you usually only have one PCI slot to work with, and space for one hard drive at most. And they cost around $250. Add other stuff and you can still have a decent computer for under $500.

Check out this PCWorld article, for example...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit, are you aware that the Mac Mini is two inches thick? Micro ATX PCs dwarf this thing.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Smeg said. Shuttle cases are huge compared to the Mini, but small compared to a normal case.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I really wasn't aware. All the pictures I'd seen of the Mac Mini did not showcase the overall size of the thing... they were all top-view shots, and they still looked like a small box the size of a NES graybox.

Greaat.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
Greaat.

Cheaater.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Linux on Mac Reply with quote

Actually Kap, the last Mac I bought was for the express purpose of
learning Mac hardware or putting Linux on it. That's weird I know....

Yes the mini Mac is smaller then the Shuttle, but I was thinking more a long the line of VIA's EPIA/Eden line of products. While not as powerful as the mini Mac, VIA has been working on
these chips for years...

To each his own I guess..

Here's a link...
http://www.viaembedded.com/index.jsp#
eSPy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at the old Bandai Digital Entertainment (BDE) site and there are a few Pippin titles that I can't find anything on.

"@Card - Buy, sell and trade online trading cards. Today's favorite athletes will be featured on an exciting series of cards."

"Digital Manga - Comic books come to life like only multimedia allows, with spoken dialogue, music and special effects. Online connection will provide chat rooms and a real-time fan club."

"Mug-o-Matic - Take a blank face and add all sorts of facial characteristics that will provide hours of laughter for the whole family."

Looks like there was an @Card game for Japan, but it had a Gundam licence. The pictures on this site seem to be all Power Rangers and the text refers to 'athletes'.

http://web.archive.org/web/19961029232203/http://www.bdec.com/m-fst.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: