Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 pm

CASTLEVANIA DS SCREENS OH MY CHRIST SO SWEET

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: CASTLEVANIA DS SCREENS OH MY CHRIST SO SWEET Reply with quote

(this is a link that used to be a huge monster URL that broke the tables and made me have to scroll right and I hate that -Ed.)

S
P
L
U
R
T
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: ???? Reply with quote

Well, I glad to see that Castlevania is taking a new direction.

On the other hand, I kinda get the idea that Castlevania series is running out of steam.
narc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the same gameplay formula symphony of the night had. (which isnt a bad thing to me) Lack of Dracula kinda sucks if they keep doing it though.

Resident Evil drops the zombies and Castlevania goes into its 2nd game without Dracula. This combined with Megaman becoming some kind of PC program gives me a headache.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOD

AND I JUST SPENT ALL OF MY CHRISTMAS GIFT CARDS ON AN SP INSTEAD OF A DS

WHYYYYYYYYYYY
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ???? Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
Well, I glad to see that Castlevania is taking a new direction.

Is that sarcasm? The gameplay's the same as Aria of Sorrow, which wasn't too different from Symphony of the Night.

If you meant a new plot direction, it's not a drastic change. But then, there was never much plot to change in the first place.

BMF54123 wrote:
AND I JUST SPENT ALL OF MY CHRISTMAS GIFT CARDS ON AN SP INSTEAD OF A DS

(sucker)
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And hey it's not like Dracula isn't there. Soma is Dracula in a way, though you've given up your "evil" nature to chaos or some other random crap like that. Damn I want a DS. I really do.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how they just kind of added touch screen support at the last minute.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like how they just kind of added touch screen support at the last minute.

I bought a DS with Xmas money, and it's cool and all, but yeah, I'm afraid what we're going to be seeing are a lot of games and direct N64 ports with poorly-implemented touchscreen features slapped on at the last minute instead of developers actually taking the time to create new games that really utilize its capabilities. I still think it's a shame that the GBA could have been a great opportunity for companies to show that there's still life left in 2D, but instead they just introduced some mostly-slapdash new titles here and there and a bunch of ports from the SNES, NES and other platforms.

I really want to get "Feel the Magic," its delightful-looking weirdness is what started me on wanting a DS in the first place - except nobody around here has it right now. Can't find Mr. Driller either. So thus far I've just got the Metroid demo, Super Mario DS, and Ridge Racer DS.

Metroid is interesting, but this is my first Metroid-as-an-FPS experience and I have to say - what the hell does this have to do with Metroid? I know it's just a demo, but from what I'm seeing here, this could be Any Generic FPS Part 6 with Metroid elements tossed in. Not terrible though, and at least it uses the touchscreen well, though I still never quite adjusted to the somewhat-awkwardness of it.

Ridge Racer is fun, but it's just Ridge Racer 64. There's one of those quickly-tossed-in touchscreen features where you steer the car with the screen, but it's really really hard. I haven't played a whole lot of Mario yet, but there's probably not much to say about it anyway - it's Mario 64, and so it is. Great if you loved Mario 64, but I was always lukewarm on it and still am.

Still, this Castlevania looks decent enough, and some of those other gimmicky-touchscreen-designed games (ie, Wario Ware DS) look like they'll be fun.

Let's just hope they decide that the way to beat the PSP is by having new games with innovative features it can't offer instead of by having a bunch of N64 ports to compete with its bunch of PSX ports.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks. Aria of Sorrow is my favorite GBA Castlevania and I was hoping they'd do a sequel. ON THE GBA.

I'm still not buying a DS. :(
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you guys can speak for yourself, because I'm a big Castlevania fan. Wink

I don't always agree with IGA's ideas about Castlevania, but making an Aria of Sorrow sequel is a damn good one... AoS is the closest in spirit to SotN.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love the gameplay of the old Castlevanias, and even sympathize with the purists... however, I'd rather play a beautiful, 2D, SotN style Castlevania than the 3D offerings. And with the N64 ports coming to DS, we could have gotten Castlevania 64/LoD instead.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
And with the N64 ports coming to DS, we could have gotten Castlevania 64/LoD instead.

I think Konami likes money too much to do something like that. Besides, Iga denounces the N64 Castlevanias at every opportunity. As long as he's in charge, it'll never happen.

As much as it pains me, I've got to side with the furry on this one. I'd actually love to play this game, but there's no way in Hell I'm buying a DS for one stinking game.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Yeah it was Reply with quote

Yeah, my post was sarcasm.

Just about every new 2D Castlevania since SotN has been an action RPG. There's nothing wrong with 2D, but Castlevania is quickly becoming the Mega Man EXE of Konami.

Plus, it's gonna be a long time before I forgive Iga for nuking the N64 Castlevanias.

On the plus side the graphics do look good...
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
I think Konami likes money too much to do something like that. Besides, Iga denounces the N64 Castlevanias at every opportunity. As long as he's in charge, it'll never happen.

That's true, IGA does hate the N64 Castlevanias. Yeah, Castlevania 64 wasn't a mega blockbuster in sales or anything, but LoD at least is still fairly sought after.

However, it is much easier to port a game than to create a new one, and Konami doesn't have to have IGA's permission. Besides, stranger things have happened... who would have ever thought Konami would farm Contra out to Appaloosa for a crummy sequel? TWICE! O_o
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Vampire Killer Reply with quote

I like Castlevania, but I think it's just time for the series
to move in a completely new direction. The story is
getting old, the game play is getting old, it's
time to stop trying to emulate SotN and move on.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vampire Killer Reply with quote

SlyphGlitch wrote:
I like Castlevania, but I think it's just time for the series
to move in a completely new direction.

Thats what people said about Mortal Kombat and James Bond games, and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FlowingMindspin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited about this one, but I'd like to see the series go back to being more of a pure platforming experience. SotN was cool, but lots of SotN clones are not.
Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lugnut"]
Quote:

Metroid is interesting, but this is my first Metroid-as-an-FPS experience and I have to say - what the hell does this have to do with Metroid? I know it's just a demo, but from what I'm seeing here, this could be Any Generic FPS Part 6 with Metroid elements tossed in. Not terrible though, and at least it uses the touchscreen well, though I still never quite adjusted to the somewhat-awkwardness of it.

Finally, someone who agrees with me about Metroid as a FPS!
I think Gunpei Yokoi would be very sad to see Metroid applied to
a genre as tired and generic as FPS. I know I am. Hell, FPSs
don't even sell big numbers in Japan! Goldeneye 007? Perfect Dark?
The Japanese didn't care for those. And neither will they care for this
washed up, barely recognizable form of Metroid.

It's funny how in just 2 short years NOA can go from backing up Mr. Miyamoto every time HE called Metroid Prime a First Person Adventure, to using such hyperbolic language in Nintendo Power as "fragfests" and "kick-ass" to advertise, of all things,
An entry in the Metroid series.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blues wrote:
Gunpei Yokoi

... what's he got to do with Metroid? I thought he was the designer of the original Game Boy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FlowingMindspin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
Blues wrote:
Gunpei Yokoi

... what's he got to do with Metroid? I thought he was the designer of the original Game Boy.

I believe he created Metroid, or at least had a hand in its creation.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
Blues wrote:
Gunpei Yokoi

He was. He was also head of one of Nintendo's R&D teams, responsible for Metroid, Kid Icarus, Super Mario Land and a whole bunch of the early first party NES games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: