Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:07 pm

Star Odyssey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Star Odyssey Reply with quote

This was an RPG supposedly released by Sages Creation for the Genesis. I've seen screen shots, magazine ads, and the June 1992 issue of VG&CE (has bart simpson and krusty the clown on the cover) even had a full review of the game. I've never been able to find the actual game or the ROM though. Does anyone else know anything about this game?
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Odyssey was a translation of Blue Almanac, a Mega Drive RPG. The American release was indeed canceled, and I'm not sure if anyone has translated the Japanese ROM yet.

GamePro reviewed it, though I don't remember the issue.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen a couple magazine previews for the game. I'll probably scan them in sometime soon.

This is the first time I've heard the original name of the game.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was Sages Creation going to release the game, or were they the development team?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Almanac is (c)1991 Hot-B and Some Kanji Name I Can't Read.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cocoebiz.com/hayama/discography/TKCA-30298.shtml
http://www.gamemusicimages.com/tkca30298.html

Seems there was a PC Engine version as well. Most likely PCE CD. Although this could be a Genesis OST... And what the fuck? The music was composed by Noriyuki Iwadare? Wow. The last place I expected him to show up...

(Iwadare has composed music for many games. Grandia II is one of his best works, and I think he composed the music for Gyakuten Saiban 2 or 3.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ManekiNeko
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love Grandia II, I have to say that the music left me disappointed. It sounded like Iwadare was watching too much CBS Sports when he wrote the battle music for that game. Every time I get into a fight in Grandia II, I keep thinking that a polygonal John Madden will show up out of nowhere to offer color commentary on every attack and magic spell.

"He's runnin' in with the critical blow... will he make it? Oh yeah, it's goooooood! That monster's gonna feel THAT the next morning!"

JR
drx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the gigantic necromancery, but look what I just found:

It's a final build (yes, it's not a prototype) that was in the Sega archives. I wonder why it didn't get released?

Gonna release this in a few days, when I get some stuff sorted out.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If theres nothing changed besides text I should ips this and release it on romhacking.net as a translation under my own name. I need some street rep.
Tweaker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool. And, yeah I wonder why it was canned? Did the game suck or something? Razz
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deespence2929 wrote:
If theres nothing changed besides text I should ips this and release it on romhacking.net as a translation under my own name. I need some street rep.

I don't think that would get a GOOD rep.
neomerge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManekiNeko wrote:
As much as I love Grandia II, I have to say that the music left me disappointed. It sounded like Iwadare was watching too much CBS Sports when he wrote the battle music for that game. Every time I get into a fight in Grandia II, I keep thinking that a polygonal John Madden will show up out of nowhere to offer color commentary on every attack and magic spell.

"He's runnin' in with the critical blow... will he make it? Oh yeah, it's goooooood! That monster's gonna feel THAT the next morning!"

JR

I'll pm Lost Gamer when you release this. Hopefully he recieves email PM notifications.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx: awesome find, look forward to checking it out.

neo: please don't feed the furries.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I always hoped someone would find this one.

I'm not sure why they canceled it either, but Sage's Creation apparently left the game-publishing business in early 1992. I can't find much information on what happened to them after that.

And what's Kodansha Soken? I assume it's connected to Kodansha, the huge Japanese publishing house, but there's nothing online about a "Soken" sub-label.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
And what's Kodansha Soken? I assume it's connected to Kodansha, the huge Japanese publishing house, but there's nothing online about a "Soken" sub-label.

I googled the characters and the only things that turn up are video games. Since the characters for "Kodansha" are the same as the publishing house's, I assume they're related. "Souken" means "general research" or "total research." I assume it's some division.

(Spam: I interviewed Kimihiro Endou, one of the programmers on Blue Almanac [he didn't do much on it].)
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice find.

Are you planning on releasing the rest of the Sega archives eventually? The more eyes we have peeking through that stuff, the more likely we are to find more hidden gems, though I can completely understand if you're not able to do that.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Wow, nice find.

Are you planning on releasing the rest of the Sega archives eventually? The more eyes we have peeking through that stuff, the more likely we are to find more hidden gems, though I can completely understand if you're not able to do that.

I don't think you have to worry:

Quote:
This release is not all I have. I will be releasing more over the next hours, days and weeks - Dreamcast Sonic protos, Ecco protos, more Sega CD protos, so stay tuned!

All in good time, I'm sure.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never could understand the appeal of ecco the dolphin, yet I am eager to see how the proto compares to the final, being it is so different.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:

(Spam: I interviewed Kimihiro Endou, one of the programmers on Blue Almanac [he didn't do much on it].)

Cool. So was Sage's Creation a subsidiary of Hot-B, like Renovation was a subsidiary of Telenet? With the exception of Shadow Blasters, it looks like all of Sage's Genesis titles came from Hot-B.
GDRI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Fenris wrote:
Cool. So was Sage's Creation a subsidiary of Hot-B, like Renovation was a subsidiary of Telenet? With the exception of Shadow Blasters, it looks like all of Sage's Genesis titles came from Hot-B.

Sage's also published Sigma's Super Golf (Game Gear), but yeah, every other game involved Hot-B in some capacity. (I doubt Endou knows anything about Sage's Creation - besides, he hasn't replied to any of my e-mails since that night he answered the questions you see on GDRI).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: