Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 am

Dragon Slayer: Square's first?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. It looked equally comprehensible to me with either encoding, so I hazarded a guess Razz
galahad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally (kind of) created an exhaustive list of every game ever released by Square (as Square Co., Ltd. - I'll add on Enix and Square Enix games eventually). I've listed the title, genre, platform, release date (for japan/north america/europe and australia), developer, publisher, and the company that licensed the game. The list still isn't FULLY complete - I still need exact release dates for various areas on numerous titles. If you have comments and helpful information, post here or PM me please. The size of the page is only 40-something K, so I shouldn't run out of BW, but then again it is geocities (to say nothing of the lack of uptime). If people are having difficulty accessing it, I'll kindly ask any of you to mirror the page. Razz You'll probably have trouble viewing it in 800 x 600 res, but since it's not the final list, I can't be arsed to use table percentages. Have fun viewing.

EDIT: Somehow, I forgot to include the link. http://www.geocities.com/hblhawks6_2005/game_list.html
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of random things...
Hao's Mystery Adventure was released in the US as "Mystery Quest" by Taxan. It was a platformer.

Breath of Fire came out in Japan April 3, 1993. US version was like July or August 1994.

Also, I've always thought FFL3 was released about Sept. '93 (not '92) (unless EGM, GamePro, and NP were all late in covering it). The WarMech person (sorry, I forget at the moment) mentioned that the game was cancelled, and only because of fan demand, came out.
(BTW, if you're including all releases, would Sunsoft's May 1998 rerelease of all the GB "Final Fantasy" titles in the US count?)
I'm almost certain Mario RPG's US release was 5/15/96. I remember waiting forever for it to come out, and like going to the video store to play it the day it came out. I know the US version was published by Nintendo, I've heard the Japanese version was published by Square.
(EDIT: Square says 3/8/96, too. But Nintendo of America agrees with me. Traipse (sp?) around nintendo.com to find the "Classic" systems page, and they have pdf-format release lists for all their old consoles)
(Observation: Square's list doesn't even list Rad Racer 1, and lists Rad Racer 2 as Unknown)
Chrono Trigger US SNES came out in August/September 1995 (release dates were kinda hazy for most US games then).
FFVII-PS had the somewhat amusing US release date of 9/7/97. Pretty certain on that one.

Jikai Shonen Met Meg, I would classify as an action-puzzle.
Front Mission: Gun Hazard was a platformer.l Live A Live was an RPG, told in multiple scenarios, like the Saga games.
The Hanjyuku Hero games are strategy games. Though I have no clue how to play them.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is listed for a September 8, 2003 US release on Nintendo's official GB site (who also published the US versions of FFTA, Sword of Mana, and FF1+2 Advance).

Here's Square-Enix Japan's official release list (listing all games released by either company) if this does anything for you.
(EDIT: substitute 'jp' for 'na' to get the US list and 'eu/en' to get the English-language European release list)
FFVII PC isn't listed, so I'm guessing FFVII PC didn't come out in Japan?
(also, you listed PS where I think you meant PC version of FFVIII)
Though it doesn't include MSX or NEC's PC stuff.
galahad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, KingMike. I hate conflicting dates between Nintendo/Square-Enix's site. Mad I've updated quite a bit of information to reflect Kingmike's additional information. But any U.S. release of Hao's Mystery Adventure couldn't be a platformer - I've only played a bit of the Japanese release, but it looks more of a strategy RPG.

Anyways, if anyone else can contribute, please help. Very Happy
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://atarihq.com/tsr/fds/hao.html <-- Mind telling us how this appears to be a SRPG?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAO CAN NOT SWIM

GAME OVER
galahad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Hao's Mystery Adventure confused with Hanjuku Hero. My mistake. Embarassed
Zigfried

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Slayer was originally created by Falcom. They licensed it to Square, who developed that particular port of the game. (It's like how Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a Capcom game, but the Genesis version was developed by Sega.) The copyright date may not be the date that the MSX version was created -- offhand I don't know.

Some of the Dempa X68000 games (which are licensed by Namco/Tecmo/etc but developed by Dempa) have copyright dates from before the X68000 port was actually released. Might be the same case here...

//Zig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: