The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Snes Central Unreleased Games Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etabeta wrote:
Lakmir wrote:
I'm sure Chuck Rock 2 got released on SOMETHING...

Basically *all* Sega console: Game Gear, SMS, Megadrive and MegaCD

Plus Amiga and CD32

Still it is unrealeased on Nintendo systems Smile

They had intentions of releasing a SNES version, I remember seeing a prototype of it in magazines.
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Lakmir wrote:

There *IS* a Rocket Knight game on the SNES, it's just the sequel, Sparkster.

But we don't know which, and the date of Even's source (March 1993) suggests the original game.
It's really hard to judge with Konami. It seems they always made separate games.
Both versions of Sparkster were different, as well as Animaniacs (the only other game I can think of to be released on both consoles with exactly the same title).

From what I have been gathering, unless a studio was really big, most companies chose to make different games for different consoles, because it was cheaper. I found that out from Kaneko, they did different versions of Fido Dido and Socks the Cat for the Genesis and SNES.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
etabeta wrote:
Lakmir wrote:

Plus Amiga and CD32

Still it is unrealeased on Nintendo systems :)

They had intentions of releasing a SNES version, I remember seeing a prototype of it in magazines.

The only American magazine I have a scan for is EGM (one screen).

Evan, you're missing Cyber Slider (by Bullet-Proof), the North American version of Keeper. Looks like they plan to de-cutify it a bit (turning it into more of a "robot" theme compared to the aquatic theme of the original).

(EGM 59 (June 1994?), page 118)
Comparison to Japanese version:

I'd have to search for the Chuck Rock 2 pic again.
etabeta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
etabeta wrote:
Lakmir wrote:

Plus Amiga and CD32

yeah, and indeed that's what makes it eligible for Evan's page. Smile
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
ICEknight wrote:
etabeta wrote:
Lakmir wrote:

Plus Amiga and CD32

The only American magazine I have a scan for is EGM (one screen).

[...]
I'd have to search for the Chuck Rock 2 pic again.

There were a few more in the "Next month" section of the Spanish Hobby Consolas magazine. No idea which month, but I guess it could be tracked down by looking at the released dates.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Sound Fantasy you have "none" under known prototypes, but remember that Toshio Iwai showed the game off at a Gunpei Yokoi exhibit fairly recently:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3181123
Evan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume Nintendo has lots of prototypes. I am only listing prototypes that are known to be in private hands, and could potentially be dumped.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I would've guessed.
Still a shame Nintendo won't put that proto on VC. Even if it wasn't finished, it still looks interesting enough to play with, I'd buy it.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that also depends on Nintendo releasing anything on the VC. There's only been, what, one new VC release since August?

Agreed though - it would be interesting to try this out. If you want to try out something similar, SimTunes (also by Iwai) has a lot of the same gameplay elements.
Asaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Still a shame Nintendo won't put that proto on VC.

Have they released any mouse games on the VC?
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly no mouse or light-gun games for any console.
(they did release Operation Wolf for the NES, but only with standard controller support)
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another missing game from the list:

NHL Open Ice. A port of the arcade game, intended for release by Williams fall '96. Reportedly Williams felt there wasn't interest in more hockey games.
Pak Watch. Nintendo Power volume 83 (April 1996), page 103.
(The Smurfs was reviewed in the same issue, although it is not listed in Now Playing, so it is unclear if they actually expected it to be released in North America. Though aside from reviewing Japanese RPGs in Epic Center, it was unusual for them to review imported games.)

Volume 82 announces the Player's Choice line, with a list of "rumored" games including Super Castlevania IV. Not sure if that should count as "unreleased", though I think the "rumors" turned out right on the other five: Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars, Zelda, SimCity and Tetris & Dr. Mario.
That same page (102) confirms Gargoyles and Pocahontas were both canceled for the SNES because of poor sales of the Genesis versions.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading over a few '95 Nintendo Powers...

Brandish II for North America. Nintendo Power volume 72, Epic Center, page 35. The end of a blurb about PTO 2: "In addition to P.T.O. 2, Brandish II will be released this fall, as well."

I was pretty sure Spot Goes to Hollywood was unreleased in North America in addition to Europe. NP lists it volume 74 (July 1995) among a list of games at E3.
(interesting in that the same issue says Breath of Fire II (along with Mega Man 7) is canceled in its E3 report but still lists it in the Release Forecast at the end of the issue.
Luckily Capcom un-canceled it by the next issue.)

I suppose it doesn't count as a cancelation since it wasn't announced in the first place, but the August issue states Ocean decided not to release Theme Park in the US because they didn't think it would have a big enough audience.
And on the next page, kind of funny to see Nintendo promote "Flights of Fantasy", some public-access review show probably more infamous on youtube as a series of videos "Gaming in the Clinton Years" with such professional journalism as "we're disappointed by how enjoyable Symphony of the Night is" and "if you don't buy Donkey Kong Country, you're a moron!"

September 1995 Epic Center (page 51) hints Dark Half was, surprisingly, once considered for NA.
Quote:
At Enix, the focus is on The Seventh Saga II has shifted to 1996. According to Enix America, the game still needs to be translated to English and probably can't happen in this year. That is also true of the other upcoming Enix products, including Genesis (Terranigma) and Dark Half.

The next line also indicates Enix planned to pull a Final Fantasy and release DQ6 as DW5.
Next paragraph, talking about Koei
Quote:
The space colonization game (anyone know what they're talking about?) and Brandish II mentioned previously in Epic Center now look unlikely to be released for the Super NES.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention that GoldenEye was originally planned for the SNES?
It was initially announced as a SNES game in one of the early '95 NP Pak Watch articles. It was vol. 78 (November) that confirmed the move from SNES ("was slated for a winter release") to N(U)64. (page 112). That same page also states Virgin sold Spot Goes to Hollywood to Acclaim (who of course didn't release the game, either).
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
No mention that GoldenEye was originally planned for the SNES?
It was initially announced as a SNES game in one of the early '95 NP Pak Watch articles. It was vol. 78 (November) that confirmed the move from SNES ("was slated for a winter release") to N(U)64. (page 112). That same page also states Virgin sold Spot Goes to Hollywood to Acclaim (who of course didn't release the game, either).

Ken Lobb disputes GoldenEye SNES in an email exchange here:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2012/02/interview-with-ken-lobb.html
Evan

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems strange, because Nintendo Power talked about it several times.
goldenband

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Warrior of Rome II on the Genesis lately (mediocre game), and just wanted to confirm:

Warrior of Rome III was 100% unreleased, even in Japan (where it would presumably be titled シーザーの野望 III / Caesar no Yabou III, like the Japanese releases of the first two Genesis games), right? A Google search on "シーザーの野望" + "スーパーファミコン" (Super Famicom) revealed nothing (or at least nothing that could get past my basically-nonexistent Japanese language skills).

And: have any protos surfaced, in Japanese or English?

There's a bizarrely specific claim about the third game in a GameFAQs review of Warrior of Rome II:
Quote:
(On a side note Warrior Of Rome 3 was released on the Super Nintendo in Japan and uses the same game engine as 2 except it is upgraded a little bit and has a new story. This is probably the most rare game for that system only 500 of them were printed due to financial constraints of the publisher. Considering how good 2 is 3 is probably real good if someone could find it that would be cool. As for now no one knows where a copy is)

I'd imagine it's total BS but the specificity of it threw me. (Where on earth did Half.com get the box art, I wonder?)
Evan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half.com presumably had all of the Vidpro style cards that was available for stores. There were plenty of games that they had that never came out. As for Warrior Of Rome III, aside from the Half.com box art, I don't have any other information.

BTW, updates to SNES Central might be pretty rare this year. I am very busy finishing off my PHD.
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:

BTW, updates to SNES Central might be pretty rare this year. I am very busy finishing off my PHD.

Congratulations!

At first I thought you said you were busy finishing off your HD, and I thought... that might make update SNES Central very hard. :D
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see The King of Rally on your list. Released in Japan by Meldac, announced in SNES Buyer's Guide issue 6 (March/April 1993), page 17 for 3rd quarter release by ElectroBrain.

The next issue (7, May/June 1993), on page 10, they respond to a letter saying Fist of the North Star (6) was planned for release by ElectroBrain before the end of the year.
Issue 7 also has three more screens of Sunsoft's Superman on page 27, that are different than NP's lone screen.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/sahagin/snes-superman_zps4ec4c990.jpg
A few pics of Special Tee Shot next to it. Not sure if it's worth tracking down images of that seeing as whoever owns the one known proto hasn't shared it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: