Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 pm

Snes Central Unreleased Games Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, in case it's important, I'm pretty sure that the article from the Swedish magazine, which was indeed called Super Play (I was the one who mentioned it originally) was in fact a swedish translation of an enlish article from an issue of Edge. Dunno which issue, though.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the date of the magazine? We can maybe figure out which Edge issue from there. A user here scanned the first 60 issues or so...
Fredde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see... the issue of the swedish magazine with the article is from 2003, probably sometime in august or later. The article is part of a series on collecting for different game consoles, this one focusing on the SNES. And now that I look at it, I can confirm that it's a translation. Unfortunately it doesn't say who the original author is, only "Edge".
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh 2003, nevermind
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure something was lost in translation. When did the first Mario 64 demos get shown, 1994? Even in 1993, there were Project Reality demos featuring Mario characters.
ReyVGM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario FX never existed and was never mentioned in any magazine.

The only Mario game mentioned for several years was Super Mario World 2, which was pushed back several times and Game Players Mag even said that Miyamoto changed the graphics mid-development from DKC-type graphics to the crayon ones we know and love.

Super Mario 64 was first shown on the Shoshinkai show in November 1995 in Japan.

Miyamoto did say he started getting ideas for Mario 64 while developing Star Fox 64, but the game was never for the SNES.

There were no demos of project reality shown prior to 1995. That year was the big reveal of the games and prior to that only Cruisn USA and Killer Instinct were supposed to be what "Ultra 64" games were going to look like.
etabeta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I tend to be skeptical towards vg magazines articles when they come with no pictures

a few years ago (2004 or 2005) the Italian Official Nintendo magazine had an article claiming that Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 (a.k.a. Lost Levels) was released on arcades too

not sure what they had smoked before writing that, though, but I'm pretty sure there were no Arcade machine with a Famicom Disk unit Wink
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReyVGM wrote:
Mario FX never existed and was never mentioned in any magazine.

I'm pretty sure it was. It might have only been rumored, and it's doubtful there were any screenshots, but I'm almost positive it was mentioned in at least one magazine. I believe it was around the time they were previewing FX Fighter. My magazines are stored right now, but I may be able to go through them in a couple of months. If I can find an article that pertains to Super Mario FX, I'll scan it.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how some rumor or mention by an obscure magazine is going to trump the fact that Dylan Cuthbert said it never existed.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be this weird misconception that video game journalism was somehow better back in the magazine days when it was in fact 10x worse. Hand me any issue of EGM from the 90s and I will find you at least a couple glaring factual errors.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
I don't know how some rumor or mention by an obscure magazine is going to trump the fact that Dylan Cuthbert said it never existed.

Clearly, my opinion is insignificant in your eyes, but I don't like statements being out there that may not be completely true. Would it matter if Shigeru Miyamoto said it if it was factually inaccurate?

What I recall would have been in something like EGM or GameFan (not an obscure magazine, though I don't know what era magazines that covered Nintendo products would truly be considered OBSCURE, seeing as Turbo Play didn't spend much time speculating on Super FX games) and that would qualify as being mentioned in a magazine whether Evan or ReyVGM or whoever considers it valid or not.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "real/fake/wishful thinking" problem right now is that attention is directed at the "FX" part of the whole Mario FX.

Gotta look a bit wider. Basically, whatever people may have at some point interpreted/mistaken for "Mario FX" may just very well be some tech demo junk, an SGI/Project Reality demo, etc..

I mean, the majority of the world still isn't done with calling the Final Fantasy VI - Interactive CG Game an N64 version of Final Fantasy, which goes to show how horrible misinformation and stupidity is.

Anyway, shooting down even more of the possibility of any FX chip enabled SNES/SFC demo of any kind actually existing still doesn't change the fact that there's not a whole lot else to go on and the actual origin of the 90s rumor is still ... uncertain. I think things should be explored in more directions before shooting it down. Also, as far as the general description I at least vaguely remember of the rumor mentioning "Mario FX," the general description sounds like something that resembles what evt. became Mario 64 (at least being able to interact with and carry boring stuff like boxes in 3D space was one of the more "ZOMG!" things in my gaming infested teen mind when that game came out ) - so, the entire thing could just as well stem from a poor misconception/mistranslation/miscommunication that early Mario 64 / Project Reality stuff was somehow just "SUPER FX!!!111!"-related. At least that's what I'd be willing to bet money on.

(Not as a "I want to believe"-thing, but I'd like to once more point at the whole SNES Campus Cart thing as a case of people calling bullshit left 'n' right thanks to severe lack of proper info, but finally that thing turned out to be as real as they come.)
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a big update on the unreleased section on my site. I believe I have listed all the known binaries of unreleased games here. I'm always on the hunt for more!

http://www.snescentral.com/unreleased.php
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darius Force was released in North America. It was retitled Super Nova. Definitely not unreleased, I found that in EGM March 1993, the SFC game is previewed as Darius 3.

Seems to be a error on your table by UltraBots.

As for Joe Vs. the Wall, the only released puzzle game I know of by Ocean is PushOver, a game about an ant pushing a string on dominoes, apparently a license for some British snack food.
I don't suppose there could be a relation.
I mean, it was pretty unusual for Ocean to release something that wasn't an action game based on a license. :P

Missing Home Alone 2: Kevin's Dream. THQ was probably the publisher (as they did the other Nintendo-console Home Alone games), and it was developed by Argonaut (confirmed in an interview with Jez San in EGM, May 1993, page 110-111). He also mentions Wayne's World as a game they were working on for the SNES CD.
Quote:
Wayne's World for the forthcoming Super Nintendo CD-ROM accessory is like a big cartridge game on CD. It's the equivalent of a 64-megabit game! When the CD-ROM machine is released, we'll put it all together on CD and add some motion video from the original movie and a lot of heavy metal music.

I do wish I could find the place where I read Kevin's Dream got turned into Bobby's World.
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an exceedingly minor issue, but I want to point out that the Japanese and European versions of Might and Magic II are actually different games - the European game (and presumably the intended American release) was a fairly straightforward adaptation of the computer releases, while the Japanese game was similar to the NES version of the original in that it was based on the same general design but has entirely new art/audio assets, adjusted gameplay and a bunch of little differences.
Lakmir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7HeroesForceBattle wrote:
while the Japanese game was similar to the NES version of the original in that it was based on the same general design but has entirely new art/audio assets, adjusted gameplay and a bunch of little differences.

Reeeeeeeally.
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated the list. Up to 165 titles! Also, I found out that there is a binary of Dorque & Imp, which I was previously unaware of.
Lakmir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look through this list...

Albert Odyssey Gaiden was released on Sega Saturn. Working Designs localized it as simply "Albert Odyssey."

Blaster Master 2 found its way to the Sega Genesis.

I'm sure Chuck Rock 2 got released on SOMETHING...

Killer Instinct 2 ended up as KI Gold on the N64.

Looks like Super Fighter Team is going to be releasing Nightmare Busters.

There *IS* a Rocket Knight game on the SNES, it's just the sequel, Sparkster.

Just a few extra facts!
etabeta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakmir wrote:
I'm sure Chuck Rock 2 got released on SOMETHING...

Basically *all* Sega console: Game Gear, SMS, Megadrive and MegaCD

Plus Amiga and CD32

Still it is unrealeased on Nintendo systems Smile
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakmir wrote:

There *IS* a Rocket Knight game on the SNES, it's just the sequel, Sparkster.

But we don't know which, and the date of Even's source (March 1993) suggests the original game.
It's really hard to judge with Konami. It seems they always made separate games.
Both versions of Sparkster were different, as well as Animaniacs (the only other game I can think of to be released on both consoles with exactly the same title).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: