Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 pm

FF5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: FF5 Reply with quote

I just pulled this from insertcredit.
It's a link to some people who worked on the PC version of FF5.

It's kind of interesting...

http://www.warmech.net/special/ff5pcinterview/ff5pcinterview.html
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, neat.
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tony Duncan: Possibly an amusing story... even though the QA people at SquareSoft weren't amused by it. I forgot the exact circumstances, but there was a part in the game where the group was on top of a mountain with the dragon. They are chatting for a while and then go to the dragon to fly away. Under a certain set of circumstances, the dragon would reach down and snap off Lenna / Reina's head and it would roll away. Butz / Bartz would then yell out "You Bastard!!! You killed Reina!!!" Then everything would restore itself and the game would continue. When the QA people found it the first time, they tried and tried to make it happen again. After that, I was called into the product manager's office to discuss their displeasure.

After reading through all of it, I think this article is rather some kind of april-fools joke?
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily add 'events' like that if you've got access to the right parts of a game. (Even if you're just porting, you've still got the possibility to add more stuff)

Besides, the owner of the website with that interview is a person I don't think would just pull crap out of a hat.
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Butz / Bartz would then yell out "You Bastard!!! You killed Reina!!!"

This is clearly a reference to/spoof of South Park, which wouldn't have existed back then.

I judge that thing made-up, blah. Of course it is made to sound believable. Then again, I can't prove the nonexistance of the invisible pink unicorn.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFV PC port, made to be released (possibly online), AFTER the release of FF7 PC (which was a late 98/early 99 release, iirc)

South Park is from 96/97
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay under these circumstances it might be possible.
I still don't believe it, though, but can't really prove it either, because there's no statement that can be proven false (at least by me).

There's no statement about the picture of whether they're mockups
(the picture at the top obviously taken from emulation with Super Eagle on)
If the graphics were just being doubled, yet smoothed (which would look rather blurry), they could have stretched them fullscreen anyway.
(No Word about the ridiculous borders in the pictures)
"Each visible tile was usually a stack of several layers"<--
I don't think so, then again I'm not the RomHacker who knows it all
Quote:
"There are two approaches to porting a game from the SNES to PC: 1) emulate the SNES in detail and just dump the game cart's contents into your emulator, or; 2) analyze the game and reproduce it functionally. We chose the latter since it promised better results on the target machine and there are just so many modes it's hard to get an emulator right. Might have been a mistake, but..."

If they did choose to reproduce it, they wouldn't have had the screen size/border problem in the first place.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If they did choose to reproduce it, they wouldn't have had the screen size/border problem in the first place.

Yes, you would, as you'd in most cases prefer to keep the original proportions on things, and people usualy like to fill the entire screen with stuff (remember people even back in the old days bitching about the "black borders" on quickly released PAL games and such)

As for the pictures being mock-ups or not, I think that they might be real, all of them, they clearly say that they doubled the size of the graphic set and added smoothing.

Along with doubling this, you'd probably also take the trouble of making a Mode7 like map effect with higher resolution support.

As for each visible tile being several layers, what's the problem there?
Just take a look at something as 'play around with' as RPG Maker and you'll quickly see that you've got several layers of to work with, and imagine getting like a huge art dump on you, with no idea where any of it belongs and then basicly just have to randomly guess and compare with the original game.

Funny~

Quote:
they could have stretched them fullscreen anyway.

Just to repeat myself, aspect ratio, seriously, it looks horrible if you stretch something into a format it's not made for, no matter if you smooth it or not.
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Displaying a (doubled) 512x440 image of an SNES game at 640x480 with borders would actually distort aspect. Stretching it to 4:3, like it is displayed on your TV will result in a "correct" aspect. The only way to get this right and have every pixel match up would be to display at a 512x440 nonstandard resolution. (you can try that on zsnes)

Alright now this is a different thing: If you were to reproduce the game you would just use 640x480 as screenmode using the tiles doubled. This would result in a slightly larger displayed Area. (and to the above mentioned - although they may be slight - differences in aspect)
For Example, look at the PSX Version of Final Fantasy II, which is based upon and uses the graphics of the Wonderswan Color Release,
now the WSC has a much lower resolution than the psx - so they greatly increased the displayed Image Area. This is the logical thing to do.
http://www.warmech.net/special/ff2foma/comparison/store-wsc.png
http://www.warmech.net/special/ff2foma/comparison/store-psx.png
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logical schmogical, if produced first party, yes.
But this was a task given out to someone else.

I bet that if you made a kick ass drawing and someone said "Holy fuck, I'd make this drawing digital for you so a brauder audience can enjoy it" then you accept and suddenly the guy certainly makes a digital copy, but takes himself huge liberties with it, retouching the colors, removing some details and also at the same time, just for the heck of it, expanding the overall motive.

And as for Snes resolution,
Quote:
Resolution is between 256x224 and 512x448. Most games use 256x224, 320x224 or 512x224
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
William Ivey: It was full screen at 640 by 480 as I recall, but framed since it didn't fill out the screen from side to side at 512 by 480 displayed pixels. (The SNES would have run it at 256 x 220 if I recall the specs correctly.)[quote]

I was doing the math from there. You're of course correct with 256x224, I didn't come across a snes game that uses 320x224 yet, though.

Once again, I can't really prove this thing wrong. Of course, why would anybody attempt to hoax such a thing, but then again Warmechs Page is the only source this information is coming from.

"Logical schmogical" <-- This is what I would do with just a little understanding of whatever programming means, and I suppose thats what anybody would do, unless it was emulated in which case those borders might have been inevitable.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Logical schmogical" <-- This is what I would do with just a little understanding of whatever programming means, and I suppose thats what anybody would do, unless it was emulated in which case those borders might have been inevitable.

It's not a matter of programming, it simply was a port that wasn't produced in-house/first-party by square, so they probably had restrictions that would evt. prevent them from fiddling with the resolution.

And trust me Warmech is a very reliable source when it comes to info that's posted.
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't feel like reading the entire thread again, so, MedicoreMan, please clear this up for me.

You believe..

[ ] The "interview" is all made up
[ ] The interviewer made up random shit, but some/most of it is accurate
[ ] The interviewees made up random shit, but some/most of it is accurate

Thanks.
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here, I know about 3 People that have this syndrome of being storymakers. Like the guy that bragged about a Limp Bizkit being so cool when it was actually cancelled, or that he just smoked five grams of marijuana. Or like the guy that always had the newest PS2 emulator at home and he knew how to make a virus that would turn your ventialtion off in order to burn down your computer. There are people that can be attention whores over whatever.
Not that you can't be good at it.

If you read in the Wikipedia Article, for Example WarMech is being quoted claiming that this was an actual Picture of Final Fantasy VI PC (which was supposedly of WarMECHs Website - I couldn't find it there tho) when it was OBVIOUSLY (and you can read that from there) made up.

[x] The "interview" is all made up <- Yeah.

[ ] The interviewer made up random shit, but some/most of it is accurate. <- Could you specify accurate? Of course there are things being said about game development that are generally true. The shit sure isn't random fur sure here, rather carefully handpicked.

[ ] The interviewees made up random shit, but some/most of it is accurate <- In my view, the interviewees reside in the Interviewers Brain, I could imagine some for myself too. Many People have had imaginary friends throughout their childhood, adolescence, dictatorship whatever.
Teflon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to remind you about how creditible Warmech is, he states that some pages from a shitty FFT fancomic are prototype pages from an unreleased American comic based on FF1. I recall some people here correcting him, but he still kept them up.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper and lower comic shown on that page are different ones and the lower one even has in its fact section a note that says he's unsure about it being legit or not.

And congrats to taking Wikipedia as the ultimate source for info in this world, you don't trust someone like Warmech, but you infact trust a 110% fan-made encyclopedia anyone can contribute and edit!
Congrats!

Also, if you want something for your little rant about pictures and such, take a look at the font size.

And where on earth do you get all this FFVI PC talk of yours from? (screenshots, what?)
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

110%?
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know, 110%

I always write that, as 100% just aint accurate enough these days.
MediocreMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Final_Fantasy_VI

There's a screenshot that's supposedly taken from WarMECHs site. It is about the PC version of Final Fantasy VI and its a mockup showing the "hidden" Tiamat Monster, which is actually from Bahamut Lagoon and has been pasted in there. FF V PC is also metioned. WarMECH is being cited stating it was authentic.

As for the pictures: The font size really is different isn't it? Also, those are magazine scans. I just wish he'd note where they're coming from.

I could as well fake a whole article about FFVI PC, think up interview questions to ask to myself along with some nice screenshots, why? Because I have a fanboy website and I'd wish to have some HOT INSIDER Information on my webpage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: