The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:24 am

What's with this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, that title screen is unique.
narc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that he went through a waste of time just to string people along by using a picture especially since the auction was pulled.

Im still thinking fake myself but its possible that he could have something real.

That and I noticed someone on digital press was also trying to figure out what that was on the bottom right corner of the title screen. The pic is just too blurry.
hiroshi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proportion of the title screen is way too much like a gameboy, not an NES game. He could've hacked Link's Awakening and played it with the dreamcast gb emulator. Or maybe he just used a digital camera's tv out to display his reworked image. I'm not sure what the numbers are for at the bottom right, but they look very similar to the font used on that particular emu. But, it could be his digital camera saying "image 4 of 5" or something.

The composition is much too close to LA's title screen. Replace the egg with triforce, flourish, and you're done. The large pixels for TM seem to be the biggest give-away for me. And "The Legend of" is the same exact font as LA's, same proportion, same everything. If you replace LA with "The Triforce Saga" using that font, I'm sure it would run off just the same. It's kind of hard to put one screenshot over the other in photoshop due to the distortion of the tube TV, but I'd say it's pretty damn close. A real NES wouldn't display it anything like that. Plus, there's no way they'd use so few colours for the title screen... you'd think they'd go for 16.

I didn't get to see the auction, but he supposedly said he didn't have a NES at the time he bought it... but you can clearly see on his msn account he has amassed a large collection of NES systems, games and other videogame paraphernalia.

I think this myth is busted.
KatanaJon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the title is "The Triforce Saga".
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that one page says that because of that NP article, he believes the NES proto was 70% complete. Uh, the only mention of the NES in that preview is an unrelated note about Kirby.
The GB proto was probably 70% complete (that scan being from like spring '93, which was close to the GB game's release of August '93 in America (and very close to the Japanese release of June 6, 1993).

Not there's much believability in that page left, but I want to see some more of those Zelda Warrior shots.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Assuming the Rated O site's claim was legit, and that his proto won't work for him, is there still anyway possible to dump it or otherwise extract any sort of data from it?

Has anyone looked into that NoA email that was posted?

Deep down I know this is fake, I just really want it to be real -__- very much badly.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Question: Assuming the Rated O site's claim was legit, and that his proto won't work for him, is there still anyway possible to dump it or otherwise extract any sort of data from it?

I considered the possibility that the RatedO guy actually did have a homebrew or something he thought was a Zelda III prototype and asked if he would be willing to let Kevtris dump the data. His response seemed pretty positive, so I told him to send Kevin an email. According to Kev, all of a sudden the guy has a friend with dumping equipment he had mysteriously neglected to mention before. And OF COURSE the sentimental value just won't let him part with the bitrotting cartridge that becomes more and more worthless by the hour for just a few days to be rescued by an expert.

I think it's safe to assume the RatedO guy is in on the hoax.

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Has anyone looked into that NoA email that was posted?

It really doesn't mean anything. Their email is answered by random staffers. The way some people are pointing to how "he didn't say it never existed!" as proof is funny. Some bored college intern answering email said something, ergo what he did not specifically say is innuendo straight from the higher ups at Nintendo!

Not to mention people with actual authority at Nintendo who would remember or have info on such a thing would more likely go apeshit insane trying to recover the cart rather than giving a passive "meh" response in the event they believed it was real.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought comment 55 at (this very retarded) joystiq entry was interesting.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000357064460/#c542216
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He gives a nice rundown on what's most likely done to the picture, but he got the tech specs wrong.

GB is 160x144, not 256x224.

+
As a comment from me about why that picture isn't real.

Take your average crappy and outdated digital camera and take a picture of your average and rather crappy 21" TV, without the Flash on.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with #55. Unless the guy's really good with Photoshop, there's no way that image was pasted onto the TV after the fact. First, the edges of the screen are slightly rounded, which a standard TV tube will obviously do. Easy enough to fake, if you know what you're doing, but you'd think if the guy was capable of that, he would've made a more convincing label for the cart. Second, there are two reflections of the screen in that image: a barely noticeable one on the plastic "frame" below the screen, and another on the floor in front of the NES. The colors of both are consistent with what's on the screen. Third, I've been using image editing software long enough to know that no standard blur effect will recreate the subtle differences in luminance and washed out/bleeding colors consistent with a real TV image. Look at the brightness in the middle of the screen compared to the edges, particularly in and around the Triforce. That's a real picture.

Oh, and the environment is "conveniently completely black" because that's how you're SUPPOSED to take screenshots with a camera. You turn off as many lights as possible and disable the flash, otherwise you're going to get nasty glare. People have been doing this forever.

Of course, none of this proves that the image is actually coming from that NES...for all we know, there could be a Super NES with Mario Paint or a computer with TV output just outside the frame. A few in-game screenshots or even a closer image of the title screen would be nice. Personally, I'm interested in that little bit of "text" in the bottom-right corner of the screen...
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old camera + a TV like that would in most cases create a greyed out picture and some horrible black boarder that'd be scrolling by the screen. (usualy end up covering the upper or the lower half, unless you take the picture over and over again and get lucky with the timing)

But seriously, that screen looks freakishly bright for having been taken, so I still wonder if it's really real... the screenshot could be of anything, there might've even been less work put into it than you think:

Snapshot of TV room
*snap*

Snapshot of computer screen with dumb picture on it
*snap*

Photoshop
cut'n paste
smooth edges

I'd say the video source, evt. a video or more pictures would be highly appreciated.
narc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he sold it to knight 7 aka himself :P

Anyways laying money on a table doesnt make the cart real but if it was legit I wouldnt complain.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Friday, Li Wang wrote:
Nobody is flying anywhere except in the auctioneer's fictional world. Expect news about how the mysterious man offered a generous sum and took the cart home with him on Sunday, never to be heard from again. Oh yeah, and how he couldn't get around to taking any more "screenshots" before that time.

Somebody get me a gold star and one of those stickers with a picture of grapes that says "GRAPE JOB!" and when you scratch it it smells like grapes.
akadewboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold for $3,000 X_X

http://spaces.msn.com/members/vav00m/

Now it's time to wait and hope that they leak the ROM to the net.
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those Zelda posters on his wall in the last few pics of his photo album.
narc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now he is selling t shirts and saying silicon knights bought it. This saga is well past its time limit.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narc wrote:
Well now he is selling t shirts and saying silicon knights bought it. This saga is well past its time limit.

...but the ownage just keeps on coming.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, he linked to this thread in his little blog thing.

HI FRIEND!
midget35

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. This is my first post- so first up: a big 'hello'!

ok, now you no doubt all think I'm gay. Never mind...

Didn't this guy say he had no NES system to test the ZeldaIII proto?

Looking through his photo album I came across this picture:
(You know, honestly, it isn't worth having a url to an image that's like four times the width of my fucking browser window. So I deleted it. -kap)

if this link doesn't it's under 'Texas Micki - Sept 3' in his photo column.

Now, I'm fairly surehe states this is his room- but even if not- he clearly has access to at least 3 NES!

The chap in this photo has just seen the high-quality cart label, no doubt.
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: