Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:51 pm

Pirate crapiness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Pirate crapiness Reply with quote

So, did you see the last of CaH4e3's updates. Apparently, some multicart ROM containing the whole SMW pirate. But also, that Popeye II ROM (hack of Aladdin II, that pirate NES port of the SNES Aladdin).
Uh, yeah, wasn't somebody asking about that one shortly before Sardius' board blew up?
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude, link please. I don't remember his URL.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this SMW diffferent than the one you can download now? Cause I know on that one there are several unused levels.

Speaking of SMW NES, I tried to do a graphic hack of that game, it took me weeks just to do the 1st level because of how the graphics are stored. They keep them all in 4 different spots. It is really annoying to find peices for a pipe or hill in several different spots rather than next to eachother. These pirates arent very organized in how they store stuff.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cah4e3.shedevr.org.ru/
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ace.
Mxyzptlk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy! I was about to ask for some help with the pirate originals, Earthworm Jim 2 included.
Pardon my confusion but, where exactly I can find that "Popeye II" ROM? That rather sounds like one of my favourite Popeye shorts from the 30's...
(By the way, anyone know about the other P.O.'s I haven't been able to find: Boogerman II, Family Kid, Panda Prince and Toy Story?)
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit, that's awesome! I recall old pirate versions abruptly stopping after a certain point.

I'm way behind on my emulators, is there a gold standard to run this on? Or more importantly for my soon-to-be-modded Xbox, can it run on console emulation? I doubt it will, but I just thought I'd ask.
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Popeye II ROM is in the 45-in-1 on cah4e3's page. Also, they apparently need the modified version of fceultra on his page (updates to the pirate mapper definitions).
Mxyzptlk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail to the king!

Well, I hope the thing works. Anyway, here's another place I know full of the pirates' stuff:

http://neshideout.cjb.cc/intro/jogos.htm
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow they have something crazy called "Secret Ties" where did they get it?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostLevels is credited with reviewing it, and TSR is mentioned too. I'd love someone to translate that and tell me exactly what it has to say about TSR and if we're essentially getting shit on thanks to his reviewing shit on his site before anything was meant to be let out.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The first vestiges found on this game had been found in the site Grand Nestral Station , where scan of one exists one review of an American magazine showing some photos of the game . E during much time this was the only notice that if had on the game. Later TSR appeared with one review of this game in its page TSR Game Life . Some days later TSR strangely it removed link for review of this game in its site. In the same way that it made with Sunman and Hit-the-hoists. However as well as Sunman and it only Hit-The-hoists inside commented links of its page, and having access the code source still he is possible to find links for these reviews. To have access review of TSR on this game you can clicar here . Recently the staff of the LostLevels made one review on this game and as he was of if to wait they they disponibilizaram the Rom of exactly. It seems that a species of partnership between TSR and the faces of the LostLevels exists. All reviews occulted of Site TSR Game Life has its games published in the site lostlevels.org!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I see those hoists I just snap and start swinging.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fuck TSR. I realize he's a good guy and yada yada yada, but fuck TSR.

TSR has nothing to do with LostLevels, never has, and it isn't like we didn't try to get him involved. He does his own thing, and that's cool. But putting that stuff up when it was put up let all the cats out of the bag, and now there are at least some people who think this is all thanks to him when it has sweet fuck all to do with him.

This has been pissing me off for something like two years now, and it isn't even like it's all his fault. Another party whom I will not name is a larger part of it, and I'd appreciate no guessing or saying who that party is, because it would just be counterproductive. I just feel like getting it all off my chest, because I hate this feeling a whole hell of a lot.

So yeah, that's all.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I really don't care at all. In fact, I'd almost prefer not being associated with "releasing" these.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Mexicanese, so don't look at me.

He mentioned Red's old site in a few articles as well. I'm guessing it's not trash talk.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
Yeah, fuck TSR. I realize he's a good guy and yada yada yada, but fuck TSR.

TSR has nothing to do with LostLevels, never has, and it isn't like we didn't try to get him involved. He does his own thing, and that's cool. But putting that stuff up when it was put up let all the cats out of the bag, and now there are at least some people who think this is all thanks to him when it has sweet fuck all to do with him.

This has been pissing me off for something like two years now, and it isn't even like it's all his fault. Another party whom I will not name is a larger part of it, and I'd appreciate no guessing or saying who that party is, because it would just be counterproductive. I just feel like getting it all off my chest, because I hate this feeling a whole hell of a lot.

So yeah, that's all.

I stopped being pissed off about this stuff long ago, but what got me more than anything was how he just sort of seemed to have a "meh" attitude about taking it down or even bothering to hide it well. Or, as far as I know, bother to directly apologise to anyone involved. This was when Frank was really trying to come up with stuff to get noticed and get actual writing jobs.

TheRedEye wrote:
For what it's worth, I really don't care at all. In fact, I'd almost prefer not being associated with "releasing" these.

When it comes to "credit", I tend to care more about certain other people not getting credit than the group getting credit at all. If that makes any sense. Like that thing we had to rush out that time because of another someone's threat. I think that's the same principle that's pissing kap off.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of it, kind of not. It's kind of complicated, and I hate saying that, but the entire situation just sucked. I mean, hell, it isn't really his fault anyway, but his attitude towards it when it happened wasn't exactly helpful either. Bad situation.

It's credit and it isn't, it's leaks and it isn't. Complicated.

As it stands now, I'm still upset, but not nearly as much as I was when it happened. You can ask Frank and Ballz how livid I was that day, they were there. A couple years later, I'm only really upset when it's brought back up, when I see things like this, where the story is wrong and people think he has something to do with any of it.

Blah blah fucking blah. Sorry I brought it up I guess.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
You can ask Frank and Ballz how livid I was that day, they were there.

Yeah but Ballz had to sleep in the same room as you, how do you think HE felt?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy. Then again, I'm sure he's slept like a baby every day since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: