Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

Regional Differences in Unlicensed NES Games..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is infamous for the part where the guy claimed that Sushi powerups in Megaman were changed to hamburgers in the US version.

Uh huh.
Fredde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
If you think that story is cool, you should learn The Secret History of Tetris. Shit would make a decent Film Noir thriller. (Russian Spies!)

That's what I've been waiting for! It's got lawyers, shifty buisnessmen, iron curtains and even Michael Gorbatjov at one point. And don't forget the sucicide.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Green Meanie wrote:

I've got the hardcover and I can give a brief summary:
JAPS ARE BAD, THEY ARE SNEAKY, BUY AMERICAN

Did you read the book? The guy seemed very fond of Nintendo, but was honest about the fact that their US business practices varied from brilliant (the Donkey Kong suit) to illegal (some of their sales policies to stores). The "Japs are bad" sentement was prevelant all over America when Nintendo started having real trouble. He didn't make up that people in Seattle tried to block NJL from buying the Mariners. That was the actual xenophobic country we lived in.

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:

The book is infamous for the part where the guy claimed that Sushi powerups in Megaman were changed to hamburgers in the US version.

I honestly don't remember anything like that. I read the second edition, so it's possible an error like that was revised.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:

Uh huh.

Sounds like Alex Kidd!
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
Did you read the book? The guy seemed very fond of Nintendo

I did, and I got the total opposite impression then that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
Anal note: The first three games weren't called "Famista", but rather "Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium" (プロ野球ファミリースタジアム).

Don't forget Alien Syndrome and After Burner and Toobin' and Gauntlet, etc. Strange company, that Tengen. Weren't they an offshoot of what was left of Atari at the time?

At the risk of gazing into the magic Country Crock pail (and not that lame fatfree variety), I think Midway once said that in like 1984 or something, the feds mandated a breakup of Atari, and the 1983 and earlier arcade properties stayed with Atari Corp. (and whoever later owned their rights. Now owned by The Company Formerly Known As Infogrames), while the 1984 and later arcade rights went to the new created independant corporate entity (Atari Games. AG properties now held by Midway.)
Supposedly, this is Midway's explanation why they won't (wouldn't) release an Atari compilation containing pre- and post-1984 releases.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:

Uh huh.

Don't forget how Megaman's sprite was changed to look less asian.

He also said Konami made Double Dragon.

He also left out some shit out of the Tetris story, most of which would made Alexey Pajitnov seem to be a douchebag.

PopaSmear wrote:
Did you read the book? The guy seemed very fond of Nintendo.

If anything, I thought he cut 'em a LOT of slack. He seemed to really give Yamauichi more credit than he probably deserved. (he mentioned a few shortcomings, but he made those seem rather trivial).
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the Narcolepsy thing, I know from NoA people that at least that is true. He did fall asleep at meetings. I would honestly be suprised if Namco was the only company he offended that way. They're probably just the only company that cared enough to stop working with him.
Fredde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me... wasn't there some event when Atari was going to meet with a potential japanese investor in their Breakout arcade game, but the guy from Atari was badly hungover and offended the japanese?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: