Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 pm

webhosting options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: webhosting options Reply with quote

So I'm working on getting a podcast together. To make a long story short, it's still undergoing private test episodes until I can get an exact structure down.

Not sure when public launch is going to be, but part of the problem is finding known reliable hosting. I have a few options laid out, but was wondering if you guys knew of any others I haven't taken into consideration.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any good company suggestions as far as hosting goes, but I can tell you not to bother with total choice hosting or 1and1, our current lostlevels host. Total Choice is relatively behind the times bandwidth-wise, and 1and1 seems to have occasional bried moments where our databases stop responding. 1and1 does provide a lot of bandwidth for what we're paying, but they're also massive, which will probably mean shitty support if we ever do have a real problem (but we won't, because I rule!).

My advice is to get as much bandwidth as possible out of as low a price as possible, actual provider be damned, and keep all your files locally backed up (which you should obviously do anyway). If at all possible, try and get a dedicated machine with a bunch of friends, at least one of whom being knowledgeable enough to admin it.

edit: Also, this is probably pretty damned obvious, but torrent your podcasts, and I've heard something about iTunes picking them up or something, but yeah, I don't know.
Chlorine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of great things about DreamHost, and had I known about their prices I'd have chosen them over my domain's present host. I believe the cheapest plan they offer allows a terabyte of bandwidth monthly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little iffy on DreamHost. The subdomain of a friend of mine's own domain is on DreamHost. It's stable, but they seem to be really strict on their userend agreement; what I'm doing is kind of on a "gray area".

The "shady" content of my old site that I did years ago was hosted on another server... and I forget the password to get in.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking podcast or are you talking nobody you're paying would want to host what you've got without heavily obfuscating it?
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno what the legalities in playing copyrighted music are, so that's what I'm more or less refering to. Also, depending on what kind of shit I talk one episode, I might even host a rom or two.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely a fee applied to internet radio shit these days, I'm assuming it also applies to podcasting, but hell if I know. ROMs, yeah, you obviously know the answer there. Bleh.

I think you're really safe with a rom or two until somebody decides you're worth their time to rat out, whereas the *AA have bots scouring the internet for unrequitted love, I mean money.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
I'm assuming it also applies to podcasting, but hell if I know.

Considering all it consists of is making a hugeass MP3 and distributing it, usually via RSS 2.0 feed... they can't really regulate that shit.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't say the name of the song or artist anywhere if you can help it, heh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: