Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:53 pm

Son of M.U.L.E Genesis screens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSzczep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Son of M.U.L.E Genesis screens Reply with quote

Hi all

As promised, here are some SoM screens. I randomly chose the first fuile hosting service I could find that was free.

Would Lost Levels mind hosting the screens, perhaps with a front page mention? If not, no problem, since I'll be putting this on a few other forums, and FTPs.

And yes, I did put watermarks on it, purely since Mr Schiller asked me to tell everyone that World of M.U.L.E will be having additional info on the game put up later, and I thought a small, subtle linking, wouldn't do any harm. Besides, if people start posting these on forums, and emailing them, you might not realise otherwise where to go for more info. Smile

I thought it was a valid thing to.

As for info, I managed to speak with members of the original M.U.L.E team regarding this sequel, but they didn't have much info. The only person who would know the full story, sadly passed away due to lung cancer.

Also, I haven't yet spoken to The Fat Man.

Enjoy the screens, I think the most interesting part is that it was going to officially use Toejam (From T&E) as a playable character.

Otherwise it looks like business as usual.

Last edited by JSzczep on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
JSzczep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and be sure to keep an eye on:

http://www.worldofmule.net/

For further developments!

EDIT:
Btw, that server thing seems to have crashed, so I've emailed it to the Lost Levels.

EDIT 2:
And now it seems to be working again. Oh, this crazy internet! Why, I remember when things were powered by steam, and they actually worked!

So yeah, try it, and maybe the file is still there. Maybe it's not. I'm going for a nap, I might be back before the end of the day.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Even with BUTTER FLAVOR, it's still pretty neat. Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, this is interesting. I like the original game, and ToeJam is a nifty cameo!

Any chance the game/ROM might see a release at some time in the future?
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the guy who dumped it:
Quote:
Jeff and George are two of the few people who still own a cartridge with the game's alpha version; I was able to dump the contents and so preserve them or the M.U.L.E. community. I am planning on offering the game for downloading here, but before that, several legal issues have to be solved.

So let's hope so.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Sanger's an occasional drinking buddy of mine, we talk about it sometimes.
MOFOtheMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Heh, so I removes like ALL OF TEH WATERMARKS on ze Pics and I SENDS it to ALL EVERYBODY ON THE INTERNETS!!! SO NO ONE WILL GO TO www.worldofmule.net! ALL CREDIT BY ME!
BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! LAUGHING OUT LOUD! THAT'LL TEACH YA!)<-ignore...

EDIT: Okay, so I REALLY DIDN'T want to piss you off, I just hoped you would understand. Now that you didn't change your mind about it I put back watermarks, even better ones now (Okay I admit it wasn't funny at all). Please don't put any horrible unremovable giant tags (by which I don't mean the URL you put) on your FUTURE work, it would really degrade it.

Really, Really, thanks a lot for all your efforts. It is VERY VERY appreciated, and I'm NOT talking sarcasm here. Sad

Last edited by MOFOtheMonkey on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:23 am; edited 3 times in total
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Son of M.U.L.E Genesis screens Reply with quote

JSzczep wrote:
Enjoy the screens, I think the most interesting part is that it was going to officially use Toejam (From T&E) as a playable character.

Are you sure that was supposed to be official rather than just a parody?

ToeJam has three legs, antennae-like eyes, white cap and a big golden medallion... and the red alien in the pics doesn't feature any of those.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Toejam is a Sega character, and this game was being developed for EA. Who not only aren't Sega, they also published Genesis games without a license.

Son of M.U.L.E. never got past alpha. The story goes that EA looked at this playable build and asked Dani to add "guns and bombs." She refused, and let both the game and herself die before that happened.

Also thank god those shots are watermarked with the world of m.u.l.e. logo, the site being the first google hit for "son of m.u.l.e." wasn't nearly enough for me.
JSzczep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And still the insanity continues? Sometimes this place baffles me, really it does.

Well, lesson duly learned, and thankfully at an early enough stage in life to make a difference.

Trying to do something nice only brings about more flack, and I honestly don't know why I go to any effort to share such things. Ahh well, it's a pity I didn't follow my original idea of putting huge watermarks over fine detail, and crediting myself along with WoM. What's done is done, but I'm certain there will be other opportunities in future.

I must learn to follow my gut instinct next time, instead of being led astray by others.

As for the Toejam thing, yeah, good point. I haven't played it in a while. But it's a nice in-joke for Genesis owners regardless.
jc dracula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSzczep wrote:
And still the insanity continues? Sometimes this place baffles me, really it does.

Well, lesson duly learned, and thankfully at an early enough stage in life to make a difference.

Trying to do something nice only brings about more flack, and I honestly don't know why I go to any effort to share such things. Ahh well, it's a pity I didn't follow my original idea of putting huge watermarks over fine detail, and crediting myself along with WoM. What's done is done, but I'm certain there will be other opportunities in future.

I must learn to follow my gut instinct next time, instead of being led astray by others.
are you joking or are you actually a crazy person
did you read any of the posts where people tried to explain what their problem with watermarks is
JSzczep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be surrounded by idiots!

Download my original file. You will see that I put tiny, and very subtle watermarks in the corner, which didn't take away from the quality of the work. I stand by that decision. What I did was not a bad thing.

I did it, because the guy who supplied them, wanted me to make sure that everyone kept an eye on his site since he's planning a huge update.

"MOFOtheMonkey" is being a complete jerk, by adding really wierd, and crappy, flashing watermarks. THOSE ARE NOT MINE. Why do these things always degenrate into childish spoofs and jokes? You people should have a serious attitude to archiving such history. Instead it ALWAYS turns into photoshop gags, butter jokes, animated gifs, etc. I'm getting tired of it.

If people have a problem with the small white URL I put in the corner, which can easily be removed, well then, you know, too bad!

Just get off my damned case already. I didn't have to do any of this, I thought it would be a nice gesture, but people seem to be attacking me for... I have no idea why I'm being attacked here.

And yes, because of people acting like idiots, I HAVE become a jaded, bitter shell of a man, who in future, probably won't put any watermarks on anything, and simply won't bother doing anything at all. I could have saved myself a good ten minutes of time and stress, by simply not posting these screens at all.

Christ almighty, and people wonder why some guy hoards a proto? I put some godamned screens up and I get flak for crying out loud!

Damn, I need to retire from videogames, since this malarky is making me go grey before my years.
James

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could calm down and take it in your stride, dude. Hazing's par for the course around this part of the internet.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if it means anything, I appreciated the screenshots and was glad to see them.

Don't take the shit personally, sometimes the people on the board get out of hand, and it pisses even me off at times.

You did well in keeping the watermark small, and unobtrusive, and under the wishes of your source, which you can't ask for more of.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone needs to relax a little. We may not agree with every little thing the guy has to say, but it isn't like he's a monster.

Lets maybe go a week without tearing eachother new ass holes and take a breather, okay?
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofo, you're a dick. April Fools was Saturday Razz
MOFOtheMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I originally intended to point out is, that by some coincidence if someone actually was to use these on his website, he could have and would have easily removed the watermarks.
Even though these were small, I wouldn't want to have them there especially since these are, as you say, the only ones of their kind.
Then I thought maybe I should just make these GIFs unusable, so IF anyone here really was to steal them then he would have to remove the watermarks on his own, so I wouldn't be to blame.
I know now, that this was of course rude, but you really misinterpreted this as "hating" or whatever.

On another hand, I hoped that you would understand how completely ridiculous any kind of watermarks really are. Even if you drew all those pixels by yourself, what is the problem if someone used it on their website (or their auction), even without credit? I'd rather feel honored if someone was to spread my work.
The overemphasized concept of intellectual property in the western world is what leads to, for example, on wikipedia you need a licence for every piece of media, beit just a a little picture of a common household object.

What I would do If I was you (and I am not you as I am neither you nor Frank Cifaldi nor Frank Zappa) is creating an article on Wikipedia or a similar Wiki for, like games, and put those screenshots (unwatermarked) there. Then you can link to worldofmule.net or whatever you like from that page, and you are credited for your work with your username, you would even have copyright for your article. That's what I consider sharing the goods.

Then you probably would still have people complaining about the way you write or that the screenshots are only 320x224 big (duh!)
but hey thats the Internet. I don't understand why that could make you bitter, after all you'll have to encounter people that you consider idiots for the rest of your life.

So please, accept my apology, and thanks a lot for your efforts.
JSzczep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOFOtheMonkey wrote:
So please, accept my apology, and thanks a lot for your efforts.

No problem dude. S'alright. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: