The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 pm

Butter, direct from the cow's nipples
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This situation being my only real exposure to Retro Gamer, I have only negative connotations. When I get drunk I tend to wax poetic about things I admire, and journalism (done right) really is one of them, so shit like this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I'll never read this magazine (not likely I would have before now, but) and I'll do everything I can to badmouth it whenever it gets brought up around me.

This kind of shit that astounds me, because this isn't a bunch of stupid kids sitting around playing games, this is adults and livelihoods and a story that has personal interest to me. If really simple things like this can be twisted around and made to fit for no reason at all, it makes me wonder what else they've done and can and will do, because cutting corners is so much easier than doing things the right way.

It'd be great if the writer could come back and explain himself, but I expect the Modern Young Journalist approaches of pretending it's blown completely out of proportion and/or ignoring it completely to prevail. I expect no less from a person that cut the corners to begin with.

In conclusion, fuck the magazine, fuck the writer. I can only hope China starts exporting video game journalists next.
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have read the thread again with the context of the article (it didn't help that the original post was deleted), it sounds like the rantings of a bitter man. He probably had some small-time website which was crushed by some media conglomerate after they found out he was taking images from their site. Am I right?

It is pretty underhanded to make a thread here for these coercive purposes.
Fredde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woa woa, Retro Gamer isn't a bad magazine, just that particular article is. True, they do tend to get overly enthusiastic about some games, but most of the time they've got some pretty interesting and informative articles (that are, I assume, a bit better journalistically speaking). Szczepaniak doesn't write all their stuff.

For those who didn't know, the "gaming illuminati" article in Retro Gamer is apparently an extended remake of an article in The Escapist.
rolan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very good magazine Very Happy , filled with a genuine love of old games and consoles (although id prefer if they concentrated less on home computers like the commodore and spectrum and more on games for early nin.tendo and sega consoles).

Although i have to say id be furious also if i was quoted without permission from an internet forum post....Apart from that i found it an interesting article even if it did suggest that owning a copy of Biohard 1.5 would mean a capcom assasin would be dispatched to kill me if i ever mentioned it...
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
You've been hanging around the assembler forums too much. If you think having information on videogames you had no creative part of gives you some sort of fucking "street cred" on the INTERNET you should probably reevaluate your life.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to reencode these MP3s because I forgot to yell "MY NAME IS FRANK AND I ENCODED THESE COPYRIGHT THE RED EYE" in the middle of every song.

On the Atari ST forums I am a member of (atari-forum.org) I sent several people involved in the Atari ST game site, Atari Legend, my collection of screenshots I took using STeem and WinSTon. 3,000 or so. I was very happy to contribute them. They are nothing compared to the work the dumpers and emulator coders have done for us. I never understood why people just have to take credit for something they should have no business bragging about. Like the idiot who brags his NBA or NHL team kicks ass or won a game.
Fuck them.
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah here check it. I know it's old but it's worth it.

http://jaiammadeofdurbutter.ytmnd.com/
James

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, this guy quit his job. The issue in question raided a ton of filler material from Insert Credit, too.

Retro Gamer is an OK read, mostly.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude's calling this his "magnum opus" now, which is totally fantastic. Not so much for the fact that it's a mostly fictional pile of dogshit, but because he's claiming that an article he wrote about old video games is the best thing he has produced or will ever produce during his lifetime.

I guess the most disappointing thing about all this is that a lot of people are looking at the feature and saying "Oh, it's deceptive and full of sensationalist bullshit, but that's journalism for you!" Fuck that! I couldn't get away with that even if I tried! And I work for a magazine that has a cosplay section!
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't even know what this thread is about since i havent been here in a lil bit, but:

Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, while we've got you here, you're one of those who doesn't reply to my PMs. :(

Also, somewhat of a wow at that picture, was it really necessary?
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i replied to your pm
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you did, but then you forgot to hit the send button
Getz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Just FYI, this guy quit his job. The issue in question raided a ton of filler material from Insert Credit, too.

Retro Gamer is an OK read, mostly.

Did he quit over the article? And where did he call it his "magnum opus"?

Also I'm amazed at how well TheRedEye seems to have taken this creepy deceptive taken out of context article.
I mean
You won't like what I'm about to say here... But getting raged on the internet is what I'd do if I was Frank Cifaldi!
Wonderbutt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a dork, but I was at B & N for a few minutes and tried finding the article in Retro Gamer, to no avail. Is it the issue with the Contra tribute on the cover?
Ok I AM a dork. But a little help is appreciated!
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Sardius you write for NewType or Shonen Jump?

I'm just curious.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's referring to Hardcore Gamer, which has about a page of cosplay photos every month.

I know because I see it on my way to check the last-page comics, in the hope that Terry Wolfinger will put the Postmeister in his strip.
JSzczep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to leave this to die, but since Frank made some very scathing and unfair remarks about me on the 1Up podcast, I feel the need to post a rebuttal.

The main criticisms have focused on (1) the sensationalist nature of the article, and (2) the quote of Frankā€™s. I will address these issues separately.

(1) Sensationalism

Is this an argument of semantics? Perhaps youā€™d prefer ā€œreclusive communitiesā€ to ā€œsecret societiesā€? To me theyā€™re interchangeable in this situation. Digital Press, Lost Levels, ASSEMblergames, that Atari website with the unreleased 2600 fans, and so on, are all online communities, some more reclusive than others. Anyone who argues there arenā€™t reclusive online communities is an idiot.

To Frank and his 1Up cohorts: you run me down for some quotes and saying the picture I painted is not accurate and then right after that talk about how there is a culture attached to unreleased games and then demonstrate the controversy that this subject raises. A bit hypocritical, no?

I was making the article fun with a little embellishment. Of course thereā€™s some sensationalism. Iā€™m a writer for Godā€™s sake! Itā€™s what I do! Itā€™s why I was a good writer, with several fans, before I resigned from the profession (due to the low pay found in England).

Articles are meant to entertain and enthuse, theyā€™re meant to be exciting. Before Retro Gamer came under new management, people complained that the old RG was very dry, and read more like a school text book written by stuffy old men. When Imagine took over we jazzed it up, we made retro and old games exciting and fun. Itā€™s what I tried to do with all my work. Some true facts dressed up in a lot of fun. Hence the whole cloak and dagger atmosphere, which I accentuated from the original Escapist article. If you didnā€™t like the style, fair enough, but if you feel that all articles written about games need to be dull, dry, cut and pasted affairs, then again, I think youā€™re an idiot and I think THAT is shoddy journalism.

If there was a mistake regarding the number of NWC carts mentioned, or monetary figures, then that is worth pointing out, and I sincerely apologise for any genuine factual mistakes. I try to triple-check everything, and in an ideal world there would be no factual errors. But if youā€™re bitching about the style and the fact that to entertain the reader I described such groups as secret societies, well, then you can fuck right off.

Everyone complains about people recycling press releases, or the official company line, well, I heard these complaints, and actively tried to do something about it. I dug deep, I avoided companies, and I spoke about various games ā€œscenesā€. And yet people still moan? What the hell do you people want from a games journalist?! I might as well have just recycled some PR crap, and saved myself the hassle. ā€œSega and Nintendo say they donā€™t know anything about unreleased games. Thank you, goodbye.ā€

I stand by this article and what I wrote 100%. Nothing was fictionalised. These unreleased games DO exist, as do the people who trade in them, as do the online forums, and the FTP servers, and so on. So, there was a little bit of sensationalism, a little bit of exaggeration regarding peopleā€™s behaviour and motivation. So fucking what? People found it fun, and the raw facts about the games are true. I only know of one guy who raided some companyā€™s trash (Segaā€™s bins in the UK), but it was a fun anecdote worth emphasising with a little narrative.

The article IS a good article, as highlighted by the countless people who are praising it, still from when it appeared in The Escapist. I fail to understand the intense level of hostility its styling has generated. From what I can tell, you simply hate collectors and people who trade in this stuff (hence those weird and frankly ridiculous butter jokes), hence why you didnā€™t like the article. Grow up, other people who have no intention of collecting loved it.

Go read Gamespot or something else if you donā€™t like it. If I were to go back in time, Iā€™d do it all exactly the sameā€¦ bar the Frank quote (see below).

(2) Frankā€™s quote

Frank is a liar. As pointed out by Mayhem, I quoted Frank twice in the article. Iā€™ve also quoted him in past issues of Retro Gamer. In fact, me and Frank have a little history. I used to respect and quite like him, and would either quote him or mention him, since a lot of my articles were connected to him (Wacky Worlds, Sonic Xtreme, etc).

The first quote, dated back to The Escapist version of this article. I took it from ASSEMblerā€™s forum, and I still asked Frank if I could use it. Here is the PM I sent him on Lostlevels:

Quote:

To: TheRedEye
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:13 am
Subject: Quotable quotes
Greets

I'm in no rush for this, so don't put aside your wild crab-filled roadtrip adventure.

The article is about the underground prototype collector communities, etc.

But I was hoping to quote you like so, which was taken directly from your post on the ASSEMbler forums:

Quote:

I also spoke to the legendary Lost Levels founder and all-round nice guy, Frank Cifaldi, about the reluctance to release publicly.

ā€œA lot of people have this elitist need to be the only person able to play a game, some have this weird belief that holding on to a one-of-a-kind game gives it ā€˜legendaryā€™ status and makes it more ā€˜historically valuableā€™ than it would be if [publicly available], and still others just mouth off about how much they paid for the damned things. No one but the gameā€™s copyright holder is entitled to have a game never sold at retail level. The rest of us either rely on the kindness of strangers, or spend a hell of a lot of money dealing on the black market. To me, once Iā€™m over the excitement of being Indiana Jones and discovering something special and new, I specifically want to see how other people react to it. Seeing people actively playing and discussing the game I found is much more gratifying to me than being able to brag about having something.ā€

I like that statement, nice Indie analogy too.

regards

The original quote can be found here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/23/7

He said in his PM reply:

Quote:

To: JS
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:28 pm
Subject: Re: Quotable quotes Quote message
That picture of me in a fadora isn't just sexy, it means something too! Yeah, go ahead if you'd like.

See, he was happy about being quoted.

He then asked:
Quote:

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:41 pm
So where the hell are you going to publish a piece about the Assembler community?

My reply:
Quote:

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:49 pm
Subject: Re: Quotable quotes

Well, the piece has been in the planning for over 5 months now, involving interviewing several members, ploughing through the forums, asking too many questions etc. The delay is because several mags either screwed me around, or simply went bankrupt (really dreadful tale of corporate greed with that one!).

[ā€¦]

The Short Answer:

It will either go in a later issue of:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

[ā€¦]

If all goes well, it should be published before the New Year. Once out there, I'll be sure to start a topic on assembler's forum, and here [LOSTLEVELS] if you like.

Wish me luck! Hopefully no magazines collapse this time.

Best regards

Frank then spoke personally about trouble he has had with publishers. Which I found really endearing.

Then months later, from me
Quote:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:37 pm
Subject: It's up!

The Escapist article is up:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/23/3

You and Lost Levels are of course mentioned!

Thanks for the help, I hope it proves an interesting read. The fact that you want unreleased games making it out there, has gone down well with many people.

Best regards

His happy reply:
Quote:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:56 pm
Subject: Re: It's up!

Looks good, but I really don't understand why people have thought of Robotech for the N64 as a holy grail for so long, considering the ROM has been online for several years.

Notice how he likes it, and presumably its sensationalist style. He even comments on the Robotech thing. I find it ironic that about a year later he totally changed his view of it, and lyingly described it as ā€œsmoke and mirrors about NOTHING AT ALLā€ on the 1Up podcast.

Then he added:
Quote:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:48 pm

My boss actually found the article before you showed it to me, he's on top of his shit!

I work at Gamasutra now, if you didn't know, with Brandon from Insert Credit and Simon Carless, former Slashdot Games editor.

I misinterpreted what he said, and asked:
Quote:

From: JS To: TheRedEye Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:11 pm Subject: You're in trouble?

Quote:
My boss actually found the article before you showed it to me, he's on top of his shit!

Why, did the mentioning of your name get you in trouble? I sincerely hope not. I had been thinking, that since the article contains your words, it might go against your contract for not having online articles, even though I was actually just quoting a conversation you had with someone online.

I hope I didn't get you into trouble with this, I had asked just to make sure it was ok to quote you.

So... Is everything ok then? From the way you worded that, your boss is furious? Is there any way for me to make amends? I would not want to jeopardise your new position there.

Anyway, let me know if things are ticking along smoothly or not.

Best regards

See how I cared about the situation?

His reply:
Quote:

From: TheRedEye To: JS Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:34 pm Subject: Re: You're in trouble?

No no no, no trouble at all!

We batted around a dozen PMs back and forth over the months, and a few emails, mainly to do with my articles which featured him.

Theyā€™re all there in his PM account on LostLevels.

I used to think Frank was a decent chap, hence the ā€œnice guyā€ quote. I once respected him, I respected his work, and from the brief conversations we had, I quite liked him. He seemed very altruistic. A friend of the guy who sold him the Wacky Worldā€™s prototype described Frank in some very nasty terms, and said I should not deal with him. But I thought to myself, no, Frank is a decent chap. So I ignored this guy and continued to deal with Frank. How wrong I was!

I regarded Frank as an important person within the scene, who could give a polite, printable counter-view to the article, like he did before ā€“ as opposed to most people who oppose collectors who are utterly unprintable, and resort to those stupid fucking butter jokes or simple rudeness and hostility.

So, I started a topic on LostLevels, wanting to get some opposing views and quotes. My usual routine when investigating a ā€œsceneā€. (Iā€™ve done this with the Jag community, CDi community, and ROM translation community, and they have all loved the articles I wrote ā€“ someone get Nightcrawler or Gideon Zhi to back that last one up). Itā€™s what I do, itā€™s what I like doing, and itā€™s what Iā€™m good at: ā€œscene investigationsā€.

I wanted some quotes on watermarking.

Instead, he edited my original post and put ā€œPROPERTY OF LOST LEVELSā€ in big red letters, in my text. Or one of his mods did this. Then he, and the rest of the forum, became very hostile and aggressive regarding this subject. I couldnā€™t get a word in edgeways, and I found it very disheartening.

There was no need for the hostility. He comes across as some kind of bipolar madman: jovial one minute, and then flipping over a table and setting it on the fire the next!

So I thought, to hell with it. You knew who I was, and you knew I often quote you. If you didnā€™t want to come across as such a jerk in print, you shouldnā€™t have behaved like one. Try a little courtesy for once. You said those words when I started a topic to ask you about the subject, and so I printed those words on the subject.

Going back, Iā€™d leave you out completely, but then Iā€™d no doubt get accusations of not trying to tell both sides of the story. Yet, when I went to the other side, to get their side of the story, Iā€™m flamed to hell and back.

Seriously, fuck having to deal that stuff. Iā€™m out of journalism now, and never want to go back. I regard that as the best work Iā€™ve done. Itā€™s exciting, thrilling, and it breaks new boundaries. Which other articles have been written on such things? I stand by the article - it was a great piece of work.

Now, Iā€™m going on holiday for three days, and although I only expect more flaming by the time I get back, if there are any sensible questions or comments, I will try to reply to them.
Drakee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSzczep wrote:
I was going to leave this to die, but since Frank made some very scathing and unfair remarks about me on the 1Up podcast, I feel the need to post a rebuttal.

The main criticisms have focused on (1) the sensationalist nature of the article, and (2) the quote of Frankā€™s. I will address these issues separately.

(1) Sensationalism

Is this an argument of semantics? Perhaps youā€™d prefer ā€œreclusive communitiesā€ to ā€œsecret societiesā€? To me theyā€™re interchangeable in this situation. Digital Press, Lost Levels, ASSEMblergames, that Atari website with the unreleased 2600 fans, and so on, are all online communities, some more reclusive than others. Anyone who argues there arenā€™t reclusive online communities is an idiot.

To Frank and his 1Up cohorts: you run me down for some quotes and saying the picture I painted is not accurate and then right after that talk about how there is a culture attached to unreleased games and then demonstrate the controversy that this subject raises. A bit hypocritical, no?

I was making the article fun with a little embellishment. Of course thereā€™s some sensationalism. Iā€™m a writer for Godā€™s sake! Itā€™s what I do! Itā€™s why I was a good writer, with several fans, before I resigned from the profession (due to the low pay found in England).

Articles are meant to entertain and enthuse, theyā€™re meant to be exciting. Before Retro Gamer came under new management, people complained that the old RG was very dry, and read more like a school text book written by stuffy old men. When Imagine took over we jazzed it up, we made retro and old games exciting and fun. Itā€™s what I tried to do with all my work. Some true facts dressed up in a lot of fun. Hence the whole cloak and dagger atmosphere, which I accentuated from the original Escapist article. If you didnā€™t like the style, fair enough, but if you feel that all articles written about games need to be dull, dry, cut and pasted affairs, then again, I think youā€™re an idiot and I think THAT is shoddy journalism.

If there was a mistake regarding the number of NWC carts mentioned, or monetary figures, then that is worth pointing out, and I sincerely apologise for any genuine factual mistakes. I try to triple-check everything, and in an ideal world there would be no factual errors. But if youā€™re bitching about the style and the fact that to entertain the reader I described such groups as secret societies, well, then you can fuck right off.

Everyone complains about people recycling press releases, or the official company line, well, I heard these complaints, and actively tried to do something about it. I dug deep, I avoided companies, and I spoke about various games ā€œscenesā€. And yet people still moan? What the hell do you people want from a games journalist?! I might as well have just recycled some PR crap, and saved myself the hassle. ā€œSega and Nintendo say they donā€™t know anything about unreleased games. Thank you, goodbye.ā€

I stand by this article and what I wrote 100%. Nothing was fictionalised. These unreleased games DO exist, as do the people who trade in them, as do the online forums, and the FTP servers, and so on. So, there was a little bit of sensationalism, a little bit of exaggeration regarding peopleā€™s behaviour and motivation. So fucking what? People found it fun, and the raw facts about the games are true. I only know of one guy who raided some companyā€™s trash (Segaā€™s bins in the UK), but it was a fun anecdote worth emphasising with a little narrative.

The article IS a good article, as highlighted by the countless people who are praising it, still from when it appeared in The Escapist. I fail to understand the intense level of hostility its styling has generated. From what I can tell, you simply hate collectors and people who trade in this stuff (hence those weird and frankly ridiculous butter jokes), hence why you didnā€™t like the article. Grow up, other people who have no intention of collecting loved it.

Go read Gamespot or something else if you donā€™t like it. If I were to go back in time, Iā€™d do it all exactly the sameā€¦ bar the Frank quote (see below).

(2) Frankā€™s quote

Frank is a liar. As pointed out by Mayhem, I quoted Frank twice in the article. Iā€™ve also quoted him in past issues of Retro Gamer. In fact, me and Frank have a little history. I used to respect and quite like him, and would either quote him or mention him, since a lot of my articles were connected to him (Wacky Worlds, Sonic Xtreme, etc).

The first quote, dated back to The Escapist version of this article. I took it from ASSEMblerā€™s forum, and I still asked Frank if I could use it. Here is the PM I sent him on Lostlevels:

Quote:

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:13 am
Subject: Quotable quotes
Greets

I'm in no rush for this, so don't put aside your wild crab-filled roadtrip adventure.

The article is about the underground prototype collector communities, etc.

But I was hoping to quote you like so, which was taken directly from your post on the ASSEMbler forums:

Quote:

I also spoke to the legendary Lost Levels founder and all-round nice guy, Frank Cifaldi, about the reluctance to release publicly.

ā€œA lot of people have this elitist need to be the only person able to play a game, some have this weird belief that holding on to a one-of-a-kind game gives it ā€˜legendaryā€™ status and makes it more ā€˜historically valuableā€™ than it would be if [publicly available], and still others just mouth off about how much they paid for the damned things. No one but the gameā€™s copyright holder is entitled to have a game never sold at retail level. The rest of us either rely on the kindness of strangers, or spend a hell of a lot of money dealing on the black market. To me, once Iā€™m over the excitement of being Indiana Jones and discovering something special and new, I specifically want to see how other people react to it. Seeing people actively playing and discussing the game I found is much more gratifying to me than being able to brag about having something.ā€

I like that statement, nice Indie analogy too.

regards

The original quote can be found here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/23/7

He said in his PM reply:

Quote:

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:28 pm
That picture of me in a fadora isn't just sexy, it means something too! Yeah, go ahead if you'd like.

See, he was happy about being quoted.

He then asked:
Quote:

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:41 pm
So where the hell are you going to publish a piece about the Assembler community?

My reply:
Quote:

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:49 pm
Subject: Re: Quotable quotes

Well, the piece has been in the planning for over 5 months now, involving interviewing several members, ploughing through the forums, asking too many questions etc. The delay is because several mags either screwed me around, or simply went bankrupt (really dreadful tale of corporate greed with that one!).

[ā€¦]

The Short Answer:

It will either go in a later issue of:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

[ā€¦]

If all goes well, it should be published before the New Year. Once out there, I'll be sure to start a topic on assembler's forum, and here [LOSTLEVELS] if you like.

Wish me luck! Hopefully no magazines collapse this time.

Best regards

Frank then spoke personally about trouble he has had with publishers. Which I found really endearing.

Then months later, from me
Quote:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:37 pm
Subject: It's up!

The Escapist article is up:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/23/3

You and Lost Levels are of course mentioned!

Thanks for the help, I hope it proves an interesting read. The fact that you want unreleased games making it out there, has gone down well with many people.

Best regards

His happy reply:
Quote:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:56 pm

Looks good, but I really don't understand why people have thought of Robotech for the N64 as a holy grail for so long, considering the ROM has been online for several years.

Notice how he likes it, and presumably its sensationalist style. He even comments on the Robotech thing. I find it ironic that about a year later he totally changed his view of it, and lyingly described it as ā€œsmoke and mirrors about NOTHING AT ALLā€ on the 1Up podcast.

Then he added:
Quote:

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:48 pm

I work at Gamasutra now, if you didn't know, with Brandon from Insert Credit and Simon Carless, former Slashdot Games editor.

I misinterpreted what he said, and asked:
Quote:

From: JS To: TheRedEye Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:11 pm Subject: You're in trouble?

Quote:

Why, did the mentioning of your name get you in trouble? I sincerely hope not. I had been thinking, that since the article contains your words, it might go against your contract for not having online articles, even though I was actually just quoting a conversation you had with someone online.

I hope I didn't get you into trouble with this, I had asked just to make sure it was ok to quote you.

So... Is everything ok then? From the way you worded that, your boss is furious? Is there any way for me to make amends? I would not want to jeopardise your new position there.

Anyway, let me know if things are ticking along smoothly or not.

Best regards

See how I cared about the situation?

His reply:
Quote:

From: TheRedEye To: JS Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:34 pm Subject: Re: You're in trouble?

No no no, no trouble at all!

We batted around a dozen PMs back and forth over the months, and a few emails, mainly to do with my articles which featured him.

Theyā€™re all there in his PM account on LostLevels.

I used to think Frank was a decent chap, hence the ā€œnice guyā€ quote. I once respected him, I respected his work, and from the brief conversations we had, I quite liked him. He seemed very altruistic. A friend of the guy who sold him the Wacky Worldā€™s prototype described Frank in some very nasty terms, and said I should not deal with him. But I thought to myself, no, Frank is a decent chap. So I ignored this guy and continued to deal with Frank. How wrong I was!

I regarded Frank as an important person within the scene, who could give a polite, printable counter-view to the article, like he did before ā€“ as opposed to most people who oppose collectors who are utterly unprintable, and resort to those stupid fucking butter jokes or simple rudeness and hostility.

So, I started a topic on LostLevels, wanting to get some opposing views and quotes. My usual routine when investigating a ā€œsceneā€. (Iā€™ve done this with the Jag community, CDi community, and ROM translation community, and they have all loved the articles I wrote ā€“ someone get Nightcrawler or Gideon Zhi to back that last one up). Itā€™s what I do, itā€™s what I like doing, and itā€™s what Iā€™m good at: ā€œscene investigationsā€.

I wanted some quotes on watermarking.

Instead, he edited my original post and put ā€œPROPERTY OF LOST LEVELSā€ in big red letters, in my text. Or one of his mods did this. Then he, and the rest of the forum, became very hostile and aggressive regarding this subject. I couldnā€™t get a word in edgeways, and I found it very disheartening.

There was no need for the hostility. He comes across as some kind of bipolar madman: jovial one minute, and then flipping over a table and setting it on the fire the next!

So I thought, to hell with it. You knew who I was, and you knew I often quote you. If you didnā€™t want to come across as such a jerk in print, you shouldnā€™t have behaved like one. Try a little courtesy for once. You said those words when I started a topic to ask you about the subject, and so I printed those words on the subject.

Going back, Iā€™d leave you out completely, but then Iā€™d no doubt get accusations of not trying to tell both sides of the story. Yet, when I went to the other side, to get their side of the story, Iā€™m flamed to hell and back.

Seriously, fuck having to deal that stuff. Iā€™m out of journalism now, and never want to go back. I regard that as the best work Iā€™ve done. Itā€™s exciting, thrilling, and it breaks new boundaries. Which other articles have been written on such things? I stand by the article - it was a GRATE piece of work.

Now, Iā€™m going on holiday for three days, and although I only expect more flaming by the time I get back, if there are any sensible questions or comments, I will try to reply to them.

man, leave Frank alone, he's cool
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet Drama!!!
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSzczep wrote:
blah blah blah

tl;dr

Two things:

1. You're a piece of crap.

2. Do you really think you can get a fair shake? Even if you have something to say, even if you believe you're "right", nobody wants to read it, especially when you're writing bible-length posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: