Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

California Raisins NES Possibilities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cscan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: California Raisins NES Possibilities Reply with quote

My girlfriend described in detail the California Raisins game for NES during a conversation we were having about childhood video game memories. She stated that it was one of her favorite games for NES, and talked about the shooting/moonwalking aspects of the game.

So what, right? Anyone could read up on this game and know all of that incredibly common knowledge.

WRONG. In the most respectful way possible, my girlfriend is a ditz with no video game or internet savvy. She could not care less about video games. She has no internet access and no possible way to know that this game went unreleased and is now legendary. In fact, she didn' t even know of my interest in unreleased games.

I believe the proto for this game was found in Florida. Please correct me if that assumption is wrong. It is interesting to note that my girlfriend has immediate family in Florida which has me conjuring up all sorts of "what if" theories.

Also, I spoke to my girlfriend's older sister who also confirmed that they owned this game.

Does anyone have background info on how the proto ended up in Florida? Better yet, did anyone have memories of playing this game even though it went "unreleased?"

I'm currently tracking down my girlfriend's NES games which she believes were given to a younger cousin.

On a cool sidenote, another of her favorite NES games involved in her words "controlling two snowmen who packed little snowballs to throw at enemies." She also said it looked a little like Pac-man and that she and her sister played it constantly. I'll give you three guesses what game she was talking about but if you don't get it right on the first try you're mentally ill.

Her description of both games in typical ditzy fashion leads me to believe she is telling the truth and also that she has amazing taste in video games. I'll post back to let you know what turns up.

[/u]
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, supposedly the person who allowed the cart to be dumped, bought it from some lady in a game shop. They wouldn't buy the game because it didn't have a real label on it. Supposedly the lady was the mom of a former Capcom employee. I guess just she was just trying to sell of some stuff lying around the house (including a few other Capcom protos, perhaps the Clash Man edition of MM2? :D ), not knowing the value of it.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've heard "mom of a Capcom employee." In fact, I think you just made that up.
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, thought I at least got that part right. Ah well, that was a few years ago, so my memory probably faded. Can't even remember which message board the cart was revealed on. Sardius? DP? You probably know the story better than I do.
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I seem to also remember somebody pointing out that Skrybe posted a slightly different version on his page. I believe the difference was like one version having an extra "." or something on the copyright screen (or some other trivial difference, also only one version supposedly having compressed/encrypted copyright text).
Were there two carts found, or what happened?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...that was a mistake on our part! I did manage to get another version, the final version. The differences were INSANELY minute, and I didn't want to have to explain why I had two versions, so the plan was to just put the final one out there and delete the not-quite final one from history forever.

I just became the enemy of every ROM kiddie ever.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Huh, thought I at least got that part right. Ah well, that was a few years ago, so my memory probably faded. Can't even remember which message board the cart was revealed on.

Was it here?

I love the guy who threatens to send people photos of his games just to prove he's been collecting for TWENTY YEARS.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Actually, I seem to also remember somebody pointing out that Skrybe posted a slightly different version on his page.

Yeah. Like Red said, there was a mixup, and I mirrored the wrong file on my page. The only differences known are the text on the copyright screen, a fix that prevents you from getting stuck in a wall in the Grapevine stage, and a different attack pattern for the final boss. Both versions are in GoodNES, the one labeled (Prototype) is actually the final version.
cscan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so nobody can offer up an explanation as to why there are two roms?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...we just did. twice.
cscan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Yeah. Like Red said, there was a mixup, and I mirrored the wrong file on my page.

You explained why two versions exist(above quote), but I was asking if you know where the second version came from.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. From us. They both came from us.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one labled Prototypbe is the final revision of the game, no more changes, it is done.

The other is a revision that still has a few bugs that needed to be fixed. As you can see from the final, they were fixed.

Lastly, for the third or however manyeth time, yeah, we didn't mean to let both versions out there. There is no practical reason for an uncomplete prototype so close to the final revision that we also happened to have to get out.. but it did. Oops.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cscan, don't think we're not giving you a straight answer just for the hell of it:

TheRedEye wrote:
and I didn't want to have to explain why I had two versions,

Okay?
cscan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well excuuuse me princess! No seriously though, I apologize.

I read that quote from RedEye about not wanting to explain like ten times but my curiousity always gets the better of my common sense.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem.

So did you find out if your girlfriend really owned a copy of California Raisins? Did she have any family in the game magazine business? The copy that showed up in Florida was almost certainly a leaked review copy, and the one your girlfriend had could be a similar case.
cscan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the search. The two contradicting stories I've heard are
A) Her mother claims the games were given to her cousin who now resides in boston
B) She thinks that her NES was broken but that they kept the games and stored them in the attic

I'm begging her to call her cousin in Boston on a daily basis but she feels that she needs an excuse to call because it's rude to call somebody just for an old videogame(the irony of this situation kills me)
In the case of situation B, Thursday is my off day so I'm going to politely ask to rummage her attic then.

I'm almost positive nobody in her family is/was in the gaming industry. Her entire immediate family consists of professional athletes so we can rule that theory out.
cscan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just an afterthought about your gaming magazine theory Skrybe, but do you know what magazines are based in Florida that could be possible sources for the game? If I knew the name/s I could mention them and see if they rung any bells with her or her family.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cscan wrote:
This is just an afterthought about your gaming magazine theory Skrybe, but do you know what magazines are based in Florida that could be possible sources for the game? If I knew the name/s I could mention them and see if they rung any bells with her or her family.

None. They all were, and still are, in California.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, EGM started in Illinois, so I could be wrong.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Informer is in Minnesota.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: