Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:51 am

Final Fantasy 64
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ig88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Final Fantasy 64 Reply with quote

A couple of years back i saw quite a few reports
on various websites about a Final Fantasy installment
on the Nintendo 64 console.

Doing some research, I have discovered this article:

http://www.neomidgar.com/ff64.shtml

It seems the game got completed for the biggest part.
Yet i very much doubt any alpha or beta releases ever
leaked from the oh so secure "squaresoft labs".

Does anyone know anything more about the (ceased)
development of this game, or has some comments ?

My thanks
-ig88
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, THAT article is complete fabrication and based a lot of it's "facts" on theories and speculation.

There was an article on this "game" that I read in GameFan before it's death right around the FF7 hype, which in itself was never really a game but more of an interactive demo of Square's CGI concepts they put to show at a computer graphics conference called SIGGRAPH.

As I recall, it used FF6 characters for show that reacted to either mouse motions or some sort of "shape" movement. One could draw a circle and the characters would fight some dummy enemy (I believe it was the golem in those pics), or draw a star and the characters would use magic.

This was never a planned game. I don't even think it was intended for any specified console, but was widely believed to be an N64 game due to Square's strong relationship with Nintendo at that time.

...then not long after that, Final Fantasy VII came along and shocked the gaming subcultures.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linked off the same url as is in ig88's post is more insight backing up some of what mr crush says:

http://www.neomidgar.com/FF64ert.shtml
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one of those quotes from that link that's even remotely on the nail is the first one; the screenshots are NOT fake, as they were even published in EGM when they were doing coverage on the developing library for the N64 (at that time under the "Ultra 64" handle) and also made the assumption that they were building ideas for (they even stated the then-nonexistant Street Fighter 3 would debut on the system...posting a moch-up SF2 logo). Square themselves confirmed what those shots really were; concepts for the next FF game which were shown at the SIGGRAPH conference.

Also, as the story's been told time after time again...the PlayStation started off as a CD-Rom attachment for the Super NES...NOT the N64. So that last guy was also way off.

I'd have to go digging around, but I don't even think these images were developed from any sort of console hardware, including the N64.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to go through The Lost Levels Reference Library(tm), but I thought those shots were from an N64 demo. Any idea of a timeframe?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
EDIT: I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited by TheRedEye on Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, do you have a catalogue of what all you've got? (Yes, I'm a fucking dork. Sue me.) I may have some stuff to fill in the blanks for the Reference Library.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, holy shit. This is simultaneously the worst piece of videogame journalism ever and the best example of how anyone can say anything they want on the internet.

Quote:
Final Fantasy 64 went into thoughts and production when the Ultra 64 was announced.

Source?

Quote:
The Ultra 64 was soon renamed Nintendo 64.

What is "soon" relative too? If it's relative to the announcement of the Ultra 64, based on memory alone I'd have to disagree.

Quote:
Around that same time Square was still with Nintendo without a contract.

Could be, could be. Easily proved, too. BUT:

Quote:
They got most of the game done while still with Nintendo and then the unthinkable happened Square made a big move to Sony Playstation Home Entertainment.

Source for getting the game done? Source that there ever WAS a game??? Total crap. Also, you're missing a period, dipshit.

And what's this "big move?" If I understand correctly (and forgive me for my lack of knowledge here, I've never been a Square fan), they were under no contractual obligation at the time. There wasn't a "big move," they simply decided (I'm assuming) that the Sony Playstation was better suited for their game, so they developed for it.

Or was there an exclusivity cause? Did they go from one contract to another? In which case, I suppose "big move" would be sufficient. The rest is crap, though.

Quote:
The move did a lot to the Nintendo system. Many supporters of Nintendo/Square moved with the crowd and got a Playstation.

Fine, fine journalism, this is. No sales figures, no testimony, no basis on logic...nothing.

Quote:
Still fans wanted to see the release of Final Fantasy 64. It was a no go.

I'm sure some "fans" dreamt of a Final Fantasy 64, but correct me if I'm wrong here...was this title ever even ANNOUNCED?

Quote:
When Square left Nintendo they dropped the production of Final Fantasy 64.

Beating a dead horse here, but I still don't know what he means by Square "leaving Nintendo," and I still see no evidence that a "Final Fantasy 64" was announced, let alone in production, let alone CANCELLED.

Quote:
The game and its fans soon died out and that's when another remarkable game from Square Soft was introduced.

The nonexistent game had fans? Fanboys are retarded.

Quote:
Final Fantasy 7 was the next from Square. This game was a HUGE hit.

Very true. But since I'm being a bastard: It's Final Fantasy VII, not 7. And saying a game is a "HUGE hit" is a feebily weak statement. All caps never helped anyone.

Quote:
Because of the huge success of Final Fantasy Games on the Playstation console, Square signed an exclusive contract with them.

Wait, did I miss something? Did Square make a "big move" and have another HUGE hit with another title, Final Fantasy Games? Why have I never heard of this title? What is it, like an olympic events kind of thing with Final Fantasy characters?

Also, here we see an exclusivity contract. Here, then, if this is true, would be the "big move from Nintendo."

Quote:
That's when Final Fantasy 64 was just forgotten about.

Oops!

Quote:
Nintendo although has suffered a lot from that impact. The home of the Final Fantasy Games was over.

That's the most bizarre placement of "although" I've ever seen.

Also, what happened to the home of the Final Fantasy Games? Was the stadium bombed or something?

Quote:
All they had now was Mario and other small releases.

Idiot. Kind of weird how they sold millions of consoles and survived for, what, six years? Anyone want to help me out on that number? You see, in addition to not being a Final Fantasy fan, I've never owned an N64.

Quote:
That doesn't mean the system couldn't survive though. They went on making many GREAT games. Some such as Goldeneye, Mario Cart, Super Smash Brothers, and many many more.

Just...stop. I'd say "quit while you're ahead," but you're about fifty miles behind everybody.

Quote:
Still, not much is known at all about this game. It was clearly designed after Final Fantasy 6. You can see Locke, Celes, and Shadow.

It is a TECHNOLOGY. DEMONSTRATION. They used characters and situations they had already established to show what a Final Fantasy game in 3D could potentially look like. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF A "GAME."

Quote:
Here is a letter from JJ from Nintendo:
Well, okay. Since you asked me so nicely, I guess I'll share this news with the general public. Let it be known that (long silence) I, and the rest of the World 64 staff have been diligently working on Final Fantasy 64 for quite some time. (Large applause) We've had this plan of countering the Playstations superb FFVII since it's announcement, and have just been unfairly holding out on the gaming world. I hope that you all will except our apology and will work to make our debut game, Final Fantasy 64, the best selling game in videogame history. Thank you for listening.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha DIE
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

You got it all onto shelves? How uncharacteristically organized :) Actually, that isn't remotely all of it, is it?
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

software lifespan of N64 (as far as my data goes)..

June 23, 1996 (Pilotwings 64, Super Mario 64, Saikyoo Habu Shoogi, Japanese launch) - August 1, 2002 (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, US)

Incomplete data on Europe and Japanese release dates.. there could possibly be something later than 8-1-2002. But yeah, basically a little over 6 years.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check through my collection when I get home, I know I have an issue or two with it around here.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You got it all onto shelves? How uncharacteristically organized :) Actually, that isn't remotely all of it, is it?

I hope not. Hell, I have that many. If this is the World's Greatest Video Game Publication Archive, I feel disappointed. And sad. Very sad.

And a little thirsty. And I sort of have a headache. And I think I came across those damn pictures in question just the other day when flipping through an EGM, but I'll be damned if I know what issue it was.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, yeah, this is most of it. Tim exaggerates a little.

But I don't regret my purchase!
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That letter at the end of the article confuses me. Who's JJ? What's the context of that letter? When was it written?

And yeah, it goes with out saying it's a poorly worded story, but hey, not everyone is striving for journalism perfection like you, Red. :)
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I was (am) pissed that this guy makes up stories, has no references, and is somehow believed. I'm more mad at the nature of the Internet than I am at him.

Nitpicking was just fun!

And yeah. That letter was absolute bullshit. It's what drove me over the edge.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamefan, Volume 4 Issue 5, Page 20, caption for "FF64" sceenshot of Locke:
Ah, remember SQUARE's beautiful SIGGRAPH demo (GF Vol. 3, Iss. 10)? Though it wasn't the Nintendo64 game everyone assumed it to be, it still holds a valuable spot in FF history as the most direct ancestor of FF VII's battle system. Believe it or not, it's actually a pretty cool (and totally playable) little game. Instead of the usual menu system, you control your characters by drawing shapes (a star for magic, for example) with the mouse. Maybe Square will send you a copy if you buy an Onyx... (or maybe not)

Edit: Isn't Onyx the type of computer that IL&M used for it's special effects?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Did one of Ernster's minions write this? Its bullsh!t quotient alone makes me wonder.

Quote:
That doesn't mean the system couldn't survive though. They went on making many GRATE games. Some such as Goldeneye, Mario Cart, Super Smash Brothers, and many many more.
Please tell that's the result of a Sunman filter.
nateJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is. Isn't it just great? I mean, g r e a t?

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's been years since I saw those pictures.

I saw them in an old Club Nintendo magazine ... except that they did say these were concept shots and not a real game. I mean, c'mon - that's Locke, Terra and Shadow in those pictures. As if they were going to make a sequel to the game...

Which they should. But I digress...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ernster
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edit: Okay, Ernster, it's like this. We've all decided to grow up a little and removed the stupid little group you were in. We've decided to stop picking apart everyone of your posts for their idiocy because it isn't worth our time or yours, and we have a LITTLE faith that if we can grow up, you can too. Give it a try, please.

As for BMF's comment, really, if you can't take a little gentle ribbing in this world, and give it back without looking like a twelve year old, what can you expect? If you keep on making posts like this, we will just ban you from the board and forget about you rather than continue to have childish fights with you EVERY TIME something happens to wound your ego.

So, think about all this, and if you still have a problem, please, either stop reading our forum or stop posting on it. If this stupidity continues, we'll take action on our own, and believe me when I say that is the last thing we want to do.

Thanks. --Mod]
nateJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAH!! It lives! :shock:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: