Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:
The original design, the 32X game, was called Sonic Mars, and featured characters from the shitty Saturday morning cartoon that created the modern furry epidemic.

Are you talking about the "edgy" cartoon, or the "funny" one?

The "edgy" one with that hot hot squirrel or whatever she was.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saturday morning one was the one with the full cast of furries including a walrus. The weekday toon focused more on two of Robotnik's bumbling robots, and didn't have the yifftastic supporting cast.
FlareNUKE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
The game eventually known as Sonic X-Treme was cancelled on at least four platforms. The original design, the 32X game, was called Sonic Mars, and featured characters from the shitty Saturday morning cartoon that created the modern furry epidemic.

Ah yes, Sega of America tried to make all those Archie characters I hate so much tie in with the games. Once in Sonic CD, then Sonic Spinball, Now Sonic Mars!
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlareNUKE wrote:
Ah yes, Sega of America tried to make all those Archie characters I hate so much tie in with the games. Once in Sonic CD, then Sonic Spinball, Now Sonic Mars!

Are you talking about the "Princess Sally" reference in the U.S. Sonic CD manual? 'Cause I don't think the cartoon had any influence on the game at all, if they even existed at the same time.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how it didn't come out till well after Sonic CD, you might have a point! Blaming Archie for the characters when they're a comic book company and not an animation studio doesn't help much either.
FlareNUKE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
FlareNUKE wrote:

Are you talking about the "Princess Sally" reference in the U.S. Sonic CD manual? 'Cause I don't think the cartoon had any influence on the game at all, if they even existed at the same time.

Amy Rose is called Princess Sally
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on old Sega junk, and I'm not going to pretend to be, so if some of this stuff is off, go ahead and call me on it.

The characters originally appeared in the Sonic comic book. My guess is that the "edgy" DiC cartoon was probably in production close to that time frame, so I'm not really sure if they were something originally designed by DiC or Archie. I have a feeling it was Archie though, if only for the fact that they're really into furry shit. Look at their version of TMNT if you want a good example, most notably the eco-preachy spinoff Mighty Mutanimals...

Scary stuff I tells yous...

But yeah, I'm gonna guess that Sonic CD (and with that, Sonic 2) was in development long before those characters ever surfaced. And even then, it's not like they would even have been taken into consideration to be used as even story content, mainly because Sonic Team (and/or Sega Japan) had their own plans. Why Sega's American branch decided to tie in the games with Archie's setting is beyond me though. They were in Sonic Spinball (American developed), and maybe some other Sonic games (were they in Bean Machine?)

Amy Rose was originally going to be the sidekick (ala Tails) in Sonic CD. If I remember correctly, she only followed Sonic for like a few levels and then gets kidnapped. I think they took the sidekick aspect out of the finished product, but I could be wrong on that (never played the game). I do, however, remember seeing an Amy sprite running in a level from an issue of EGM.

But yeah, I'm not blaming Archie for whatever stupid creepy yiff-fodder they crapped out. I'm just going to blame Sega of America for actually giving a shit about it. For a company that immitated Nintendo's business structure (at least partially), you'd think they would have taken notes when Nintendo wasn't trying to tie in the ideas of whackos they licenced their characters off to with their own original products... because, yeah, they knew the Mario games would do JUST FINE without King Toadstool.

(Granted, if Nintendo had borrowed the Stupid Bomb from that one story Valiant did, Super Mario World could have been even cooler than it was...)
FlareNUKE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy Rose was in Sonic CD and she appears for three levels, one in the first level as she chases you and holds you, second to be kidnapped, and third when you race Metal Sonic and rescue her. And if the various reading i've done is true. Then the American Version has Amy's name as Princess Sally. Meant to tie-in with the Archie Comics. Though Sally's character turned out to be made already, and as something completely different-looking then Amy. And I'm just assuming that last sentence, it's probably not true...
Shiratski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another turbulent SonicX week Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: