Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu May 23, 2024 6:24 am

same name, different version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiroshi

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: same name, different version Reply with quote

is there a list out there of games that share the name of their international counterpart, but were completely different attempts? not localization makeovers, but completely different from the ground up.

mainly I was looking for Famicom/NES differences. for example, Rampart is radically different on the Famicom, and looks nothing like the arcade version (it's a lot more fun, too). You probably couldn't tell at first glance, but Joust on the NES and Famicom are completely different ports. And of course there's Tetris.
Nosuch

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Famicom version of Maniac Mansion is pretty damn different, too.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PAL version of Rainbow Islands (ported by Ocean) is a lot different than the NTSC version (ported by Disco). Ocean's graphics and level layouts are a lot more faithful to the arcade version, but the game itself plays pretty slow in PAL mode, and doesn't control quite as effortlessly as Disco's version.
hiroshi

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosuch wrote:
The Famicom version of Maniac Mansion is pretty damn different, too.

Completely different. Unlike Jaleco, LucasArts actually ported SCUMM to the NES. Shocked

I love the artwork. I always thought the US version's graphics looked like ass.

BMF54123 wrote:
The PAL version of Rainbow Islands (ported by Ocean) is a lot different than the NTSC version (ported by Disco). Ocean's graphics and level layouts are a lot more faithful to the arcade version, but the game itself plays pretty slow in PAL mode, and doesn't control quite as effortlessly as Disco's version.

Ocean did a good job porting the game to all the home computers in Europe, especially the Spectrum. The three year old Disco port was showing its age, so I can see why they re-did it.

edit: found a few more! Fantasy Zone was done by Sunsoft in Japan, Tengen in the US. Also, Airwolf is a completely different game in both regions.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioning LucasArts, another game comes to mind;

Star Wars, the Namco game released in Japan is completely different (and somewhat hilarious) when compared to the Star Wars the rest of the world got, done by JVC. (which is still actually one of my favorite NES games).
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:
Mentioning LucasArts, another game comes to mind;

Star Wars, the Namco game released in Japan is completely different (and somewhat hilarious) when compared to the Star Wars the rest of the world got, done by JVC. (which is still actually one of my favorite NES games).

The JVC game came out in Japan, too. The Namco game was just released a few years earlier, and JVC got the license when Namco's expired.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're counting things that are even within the same region, there's also Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rygar was not only different from the arcade, but the FC version got different music than the NES version.

-Rob
hiroshi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Rygar was not only different from the arcade, but the FC version got different music than the NES version.

That's more of a localization difference, not a completely different version.

Li Wang wrote:
If you're counting things that are even within the same region, there's also Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

thanks, that's another I never noticed. maybe it's similar to what happened with star wars on the famicom.

hey wait, that's the THIRD re-make involving lucasarts!
rolan

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kinda surprised at how different the japanese and usa versions of DJ boy are for the megadrive/genesis... i love having both its kind of like owning an expansion pack as they have many surreal differences and i think even some levels are different though my memory is hazy.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Puzzle Bobble DS... but its counterpart was called Bust-A-Move DS, and it was later released in Japan anyway. =|
hiroshi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
I'd say Puzzle Bobble DS... but its counterpart was called Bust-A-Move DS, and it was later released in Japan anyway. =|

it still counts, otherwise you'd assume they were the same game. I'm looking for games that you'd normally miss out on just by looking at the title. especially if one region lacks both versions.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious reply would be "Super Mario Bros. 2" and all SNES era Final Fantasies.

Here's a nice list of differences between the US/JP versions of Zelda 2: Adventures of Link.

Contra had all of it's cutscenes removed in the US version (aka ultra cheap localization!)

Ghostbusters 2 was also entirely different in Europe (but it was called New Ghostbusters 2 - so slightly different title). Euro version was from HAL as opposed to Activision. Also, it didn't suck as much ass.
hiroshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
The obvious reply would be "Super Mario Bros. 2" and all SNES era Final Fantasies.

obvious, but it counts. we technically didn't get the exact same versions, just remakes, eventually.

handofg0d wrote:
Here's a nice list of differences between the US/JP versions of Zelda 2: Adventures of Link.

Contra had all of it's cutscenes removed in the US version (aka ultra cheap localization!)

again, I'm not looking for localization makeovers... that's for another day. there's usually a lot more information on that topic than what I'm referring to.

handofg0d wrote:
Ghostbusters 2 was also entirely different in Europe (but it was called New Ghostbusters 2 - so slightly different title). Euro version was from HAL as opposed to Activision. Also, it didn't suck as much ass.

aah, now this is more of what I'm looking for. completely different game, completely different team making it. slight title difference, but it still counts. :)
mrdomino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiroshi wrote:

handofg0d wrote:

aah, now this is more of what I'm looking for. completely different game, completely different team making it. slight title difference, but it still counts. :)

well, both HAL's and Activision's games were released in Europe (hence the title difference) but I suppose it still sort of counts - you probably wouldn't know there were two Ghostbusters 2 games unless you were looking for them.
Getz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Street Fighter the Movie? The home version was completely different to the arcade version
hiroshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrdomino wrote:
well, both HAL's and Activision's games were released in Europe (hence the title difference) but I suppose it still sort of counts - you probably wouldn't know there were two Ghostbusters 2 games unless you were looking for them.

or if you're American, you completely missed out on it.

Getz wrote:
What about Street Fighter the Movie? The home version was completely different to the arcade version

no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: