Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:49 pm

Buttload of Sega protos to be released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drakee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, a lot of these 32X ones don't seem to work. Anyone else having the same problem?
BBH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit. This is... wow. Bless you, drx.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out one of the Streets of Rage 3 protos at random, and it played World Heroes. Can anyone verify this?
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx probably misnamed one. The protos are good, but they weren't prepared for the traffic. They should of let people know ahead of time the torrent would be hosted at hidden palace and not sonic retro forums. Cause now guests cant get into the forums cause of the large amount of traffic.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, wow, this is amazing. I don't even know where to start here. Thanks so much drx, this is goddamned incredible.

Drakee wrote:
Gah, a lot of these 32X ones don't seem to work. Anyone else having the same problem?

I tested out the ones you were talking about in Fusion, and they all seem to work okay. Well, except for the early Doom ones. Those are weird.

So...has anyone tried any of these things out yet? There's some really interesting stuff here. Like:

Richard Scarry's Busytown -- The early copies seem to have a totally different way of using digitized sound and have a lot fewer voice samples. In the final, the screen would freeze whenever voices played, but you can still move around and do stuff in some of the prototypes while people are talking. The tradeoff is that the sound quality is a lot lower and some things are so garbled you can barely understand what they're saying.

Huckle is also kind of retarded in the prototypes. He greets people by saying "You're welcome!" and then takes off from the deli without saying anything when he's done.

There's also some pretty big differences in some of the Sonic games I guess but WHO CARES. This is the biggest break we've ever had in researching the development of Richard Scarry's Busytown.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most interesting thing I've played so far is the earliest version of X-Men 2 - it's essentially an entirely different game.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sardius wrote:
So...has anyone tried any of these things out yet?

I looked into the Ristar ROMs and here's what I found with some minimal poking.

Jul 1 - No music during SEGA intro, no glitter on SEGA logo, no intro text, Intro movie still has Ristar's mother shown like in the JP version, Title screen has 1994 copyright in top right, Round 1 titled "Planet Neer", Debug enabled with START button, 2 lives

Ristar's Mom:
(This was included in the JP retail, in the US retail we see the galaxy but no Mom)

Jul 18 - Intro matches closer to retail with music for SEGA logo (but missing the â„¢) glitter on the logo, etc. Still no intro text (like the JP version), and Ristar's Mom still present. Round 1 titled "Planet Neer", No debug (that I've found), 4 lives

Aug 12 - Added the â„¢ to the SEGA logo, Intro movie has text with grammatical errors, Title screen is different with name change to "DEXSTAR" and several graphical changes, Round 1 titled "Planet Flora" (as in the retail), 4 lives no debug

Aug 26 - Intro Same as Aug 12 with completely different intro text (closer to US retail but some minor changes), still called "DEXSTAR" and still no debug.

I'm sure there are more changes but I didn't dig much deeper than loading up the first stage.

Someone with a PC (I'm running a Mac), should look at all 4 of them with drx's "Feel" utility, a Ristar level editor:

http://www.hacking-cult.org/?utils

Title screen comparisons:
Jul 1:
Jul 18:
Aug 12:
Aug 26:
US Retail:
JP Retail:
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drakee wrote:

Yeah, the first few ROMs are a bit weird. Apparently, the 32X was still in development when those builds were made, so they're probably trying to access a feature of the hardware that was changed or removed (PWM sounds are pretty broken, for example). On top of that, KEGA's 32X emulation is still a bit off, and it uses game-specific hacks based on the ROM's CRC. Since the Chaotix protos obviously don't match the final, the hacks aren't applied, and eventually things go bonkers.

On a side note, Tails still exists in the early protos (as a glitched Knuckles), complete with flying ability. Awesome.
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fiddled a bit with the shining force 2 (earliest) lots of name changes from the us version chester = dewy, there aparnetly is a lot of code differences as none of the older game genie codes function on it.

and baby boomer is the most fucked up game ever, I love it.

I really want to rip into the mmprtm game to see how much of power rangers 2 is left inside it.

ps4 seems identical to the release from what i played (played up to the point where that freaky birdguy joins you)

so many good games to dig thru and not enough time to play , stupid job Wink

also i've played a couple of the sor3 and i'm seeing little dificulty tweaks but it looks like they are all made after they butchered the japanese version (wierd colour changes already in place ,"ash" already missing etc etc)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a scrapped idle animation in the Comix Zone May 26 proto:

It was removed four days after this build. I guess the occasional farts when squatting were enough bad smell for one game.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc, GC demos and dumped games and such can be played straight to the GC using a Datel device and PC . I think I own the device, but have never used it and I forget how it works.

-Rob
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzwing wrote:
ps4 seems identical to the release from what i played (played up to the point where that freaky birdguy joins you)

PSIV has significant script differences, depending on how old you go - things like Chaz and Alys being named Rudy and Ryre, for instance. What "freaky birdguy" are you talking about though? Are you sure you're not still talking about Shining Force?
neomerge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats weird how they chagned the game from Ristar to Dexstar then back to Ristar. Jul 18th almost looks identical to the US Retail. Also kinda dumb how they took Ristars mom out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:

It was removed four days after this build. I guess the occasional farts when squatting were enough bad smell for one game.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find out why did they remove this animation, but I found out another hilarious bug report, about something we already know, for May 26:

Quote:

Bug #699

On the File I.D. Table, the field Title (USA) reads:
"JEAN CLAUDE CRAYON DANS LE ZONE
COMIQUE"
Change to:
"COMIX ZONE"

Also:

Quote:

Bug #700

On the File I.D. Table, the field Title (JAPAN) reads:
"JOE PENCIL IN THE COMIX ZONE"
Change to:
" "

By the way, sorry for the shameless plug, but if anyone wants to donate (which is always welcome), please contact me :)
Druid II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:

That animation is in the final, although it takes a lot more time of idling to get it played.

I've toyed around with SOR3 - the earliest build still has Axel in his original clothing, and has the ten star system on the character select. All voices and the script are already changed. Also, that one shows garbled data in the character bios.

the two versions after that one have the complete level select under options (enter with up+b), although only one of them works (the other one locks up when going ingame).

It seems the SOR3 prototypes are from the "butchering" phase, but all of them are too late in it to show significant changes. None I could find, anyway.

edit: haven't checked the easy mode ending though - that one may not be implemented yet.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Yeah, the first few ROMs are a bit weird. Apparently, the 32X was still in development when those builds were made, so they're probably trying to access a feature of the hardware that was changed or removed (PWM sounds are pretty broken, for example).

Are you sure about that? I think the 32X was released in North America in November 1994, which is about a month before the earliest proto in drx's set.
drx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlcice wrote:
BMF54123 wrote:
Yeah, the first few ROMs are a bit weird. Apparently, the 32X was still in development when those builds were made, so they're probably trying to access a feature of the hardware that was changed or removed (PWM sounds are pretty broken, for example).

Are you sure about that? I think the 32X was released in North America in November 1994, which is about a month before the earliest proto in drx's set.

The earliest is actually 36 Great Holes starring Fred Couples (32X REV1.x) (Prototype - Jul 06, 1994) (hidden-palace.org).bin, which is about four months before release, and uses a completely different hardware revision.

There are many more from before November...
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Blitzwing wrote:

PSIV has significant script differences, depending on how old you go - things like Chaz and Alys being named Rudy and Ryre, for instance. What "freaky birdguy" are you talking about though? Are you sure you're not still talking about Shining Force?

hmm I was playing the aug 15th version and the names were still chaz and bitchface, freaky bird guy = Gryz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzwing wrote:
Smeg wrote:
Blitzwing wrote:

hmm I was playing the aug 15th version and the names were still chaz and bitchface, freaky bird guy = Gryz.

Yeah, pay close attention to the dates. For whatever reason, drx used the names of the months in all the dates instead of numbers, which means they're in alphabetical order rather than chronological. The earliest version of PSIV in the collection is from May 30 1994.

Also, I didn't know Motavians were supposed to be birdish. They don't look like it.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:
The earliest is actually 36 Great Holes starring Fred Couples (32X REV1.x) (Prototype - Jul 06, 1994) (hidden-palace.org).bin, which is about four months before release, and uses a completely different hardware revision.

There are many more from before November...

So there is material from before the hardware release! That's interesting; do you know how the hardware is different?

For some reason I misread BMF54123's post as referring to Chaotix, whose earliest builds are from December, though now that I look he didn't say that anywhere. Sorry about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: