Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sun May 12, 2024 10:29 pm

Mario 3D on the SNES???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pentarou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredde wrote:
Well, I have an issue of the swedish Super Play that has the following picture in an article about SNES...

...with the following quote attached to it (translated from Swedish):

"Prototype carts for Super NES are getting harder and harder to find. Many are also missing labels, so you shouldn't have too high expectations before you've put them in your console. A copy of the three-dimensional Super Mario-game is deffinitely invaluable."

Could this be the cart?

hmm. I have an issue of Edge with that exact picture and text (well, close enough - the Edge text is in English, but it looks like one is a direct translation of the other.) Strange.

I'm pretty sure the magazine I originally read about it in included some more detail, as well as a screenshot of "Polygon Fighter" (an unreleased Argonaut game), but I still can't find the damn thing. If anyone else here has any issues of N64 Magazine (UK), I remember it being in a "Mario Family Tree" feature...

edit: also, whichever magazine originally used the image seemed to have got it from here - the text just reads "Super Famicom" and "do not make illegal copies of this software", and it's actually a prototype of Ultima: The Savage Empire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't that unreleased game FX Fighter? I remember that game. I even had a poster that came with a Club Nintendo magazine. They only showed like two or three grainy screenshots though. And it was always named FX Fighter as far as I know.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fredde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, now that I looked trough the article, I also found the following little text (once again translated from Swedish, of course):

"There was a number of prototype games for Super Famicom, many made by Nintendo themselves. The most discussed one is probably the three-dimensional Super Mario-game that was started to be developed after Star Fox. Shigerum Miyamoto has said that the project was abandoned due to the constraints of the hardware, but that it later was developed to Super Mario 64."
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wasn't that unreleased game FX Fighter? I remember that game. I even had a poster that came with a Club Nintendo magazine. They only showed like two or three grainy screenshots though. And it was always named FX Fighter as far as I know.

Yeah, but I seem to recall EGM referring to it as "Polygon Fighter" or something equally generic early on too, though.

That game did finally make it out for the PC...and it was hideous.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat info. Thank god they waited, though. There's no way in hell you could make anything even remotely cartoony with the FX chip.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that could be the reason why they later worked on improving the FX chip, but even with all the optimizations they just had to face the facts and cancel it in favor of Yoshi's Island, which did use the improved chip.

In fact, there might be some elements from that Super Mario FX in Yoshi's Island, like some bosses who look kind of 3D-ish when they turn around (namely, the one that loses his pants and the big amoeba thing), and perhaps even the last fight with Bowser where he approaches from the background.

They may have tried to use round shapes for the enemies, so they would be easy to handle in a 3D environment without having to use any polygons for them (they actually did that in Super Mario 64, if I remember correctly).
ScubaSteve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys. Hate to flog a dead horse/thread, but I was just strolling through the neighborhood looking for any info on the 3D SNES FX Mario test/game/prototype that Shigeru Miyamoto was supposedly working on at some point.

I just wanted to say that I too had heard/read in a magazine somewhere years ago (probably EGM (circa late 90s?), maybe Nintendo Power circa 95-96) that Miyamoto had started to work on a 3D game for the SNES using the FX Chip but then abandonded it because of hardware limitations. Then supposedly it was Miyamoto's quest for this 3D Mario game that he wanted to design that ultimately shaped the N64's hardware -- especially its controller, and most likely its graphics hardware as well. It was probably an article on Mario 64 and the N64, maybe even a Miyamoto interview.

The N64 is the console that Mario 64 built. Now only if they had looked ahead and put the analog stick in its proper place, instead of thinking of it only as a sideline, shoved right in the middle where no one will ever use it. Smile

ScubaSteve

P.S. One of the only references I can find to an FX SNES Mario online is on this page: http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?funfacts/funfacts.htm
Shiratski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario FX
Developer: Nintendo EAD
System: Super Famicom
Miyamoto was said to be experimenting with a 3D Super Mario game on the Super Famicom using the Super FX2 chip (used in the unreleased StarFox 2). While no screenshots were seen, it's safe to assume that the SNES couldn't cope with such an ambitious project. It is likely unused elements of the game were incorporated into Super Mario 64.
http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb/fran/mario.shtml
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario World 2 used the SFX2, could there have just been some confusion somewhere along the way?
jethro jazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its was definately a separate project, ive seen it mentioned plenty of times over the years. miyamoto gave it up because the things he wanted to do were simply not possible with the hardware. i remember vaguely reading something about the proto only containing a small blank environment that mario could move around in 3d, with a box he could pick up, carry around and throw. no idea what recess of my brain im digging this out of though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: