Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

Game & Watch Gallery 2 (US) Non-GBC variant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nensondubois

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Game & Watch Gallery 2 (US) Non-GBC variant Reply with quote

Tossing the confusion aside (why the original game was not released internationally, and it's obscurity in itself, blah, blah, blah.) We need to clarify something else Game Boy-wise.

I know I'm walking on eggs by saying "Wikipedia stated so, meaning it must be true", but they insist that a non-GBC version of Game & Watch Gallery 2 was released in the US at a presumably slightly earlier time than the GBC version released in November 1998. Gamefaqs has no listing of a Game Boy version slightly making the confusion more ajar.

Here's where things become interesting... or not. I downloaded a Game & Watch Gallery 2 GB US version from dge(... you know the site; probable no rom site listing rule here, don't feel like checking because I can't find them. Lest be safe.) and played it in GBC mode. Guess what. The game is in Black and White with the GBC decorations, and glitches sending me to the demos whenever a button is pressed at the title screen, so I went to hack the game sure enough I found that the header is altered or figured maybe the rom is a bad dump.

Two things (I doubt the first one but it could be a marketing ploy or something test-esque bizzare.)

1. Nintendo/TOSE produced a test batch on monochrome copies and later realised that the header was faulty (we already assume the game was GBC planned from start) and quickly fixed them. This wouldn't explain a few things and raises a few question in it's own merit; how could an oversight like this happen and if so, was the packaging and manual GB or GBC? Probably the latter.

2. Wikipedia idiots jumped onto the probable bad rom dump and bit into it labeling it as a GB release. More than likely.

Finally, I searched on Ebay and I couldn't locate a monochrome copy aside from the Asian/PAL releases of Game & Watch Gallery 1, so, either it is extremely rare or simply does not exist outside of possibly Nintendo or TOSE's hands.

What happened? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: