Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:53 pm

Hokuto no Ken: The thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taiki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Hokuto no Ken: The thread. Reply with quote

Hokuto no Ken is out.

Beg, borrow or steal this game.

it is fucking awesome.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of 2 big fans in the world of Last Battle for Genesis (Hokuto no Ken for MD in Japan, of course).

When it came out, I thought it was the most awesome thing. Ever. I know a lot of people can't stand the game, especially with it's convoluted, incomprehensible Engrish, but the music and the whole post-apocolyptic look of the game blew my mind. When the Genesis came out, Last Battle and Altered Beast were my first ever 16-Bit home experiences, so it really knocked me out of my seat. The music is still awesome, imo. The dungeon music owns.

The game is HARD. I mean really HARD. Most people can't even make it to level 3 out of 4, let alone pass three or four. You get one life in the game, though there is a secret continue.

I didn't know anything about Hokuto no Ken, but I did think at the time that Last Battle had some semi-similarities to the shitty Fist of the North Star NES game. I knew nothing about the anime, so I wasn't able to say, "Awww, it sucks in comparison!" I know now that they butchered the series when they made Last Battle, but I had no such reference, so it ruled to me.

I've only legitimately beaten the game once (no Game Genie, no stage select). The continue, yeah, I used that, but whatever. If anyone wants a REAL old school challenge, none of this namby pampy crap they've got nowadays, the try to beat Last Battle. Only real gamers will like it, the rest, ummm, aren't real, or something.

-Rob
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
I am one of 2 big fans in the world of Last Battle for Genesis
[...]
though there is a secret continue.

...How do you exactly enter the code, by the way? I've been trying pressing A+B+C+START at every intro scene to no avail.
The_bag_of_sand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS2 fighting game looks badass. Isnt it made by the Guilty Gear team?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
taiki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_bag_of_sand wrote:
The PS2 fighting game looks badass. Isnt it made by the Guilty Gear team?

YES.

Arc System Works.

Anyway, combo system is kind of convoluted, and if you're not used to games like say, Guilty Gear it might be confusing...

Otherwise, it's nice to see a new 2D fighting game that doesn't suck.

Double plus bonus is that it's a license title, so, that's even more goddamn rare these days.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
rbudrick wrote:
I am one of 2 big fans in the world of Last Battle for Genesis
[...]
though there is a secret continue.

...How do you exactly enter the code, by the way? I've been trying pressing A+B+C+START at every intro scene to no avail.

Well, you have to pass a level first! Otherwise, you just start at the beginning of stage 1, as you normally would.

BTW, I have the Sega Ages PS2 release of Hokuto no Ken. Which version is it a remake of? Also, when I got to play the original SMS version tha's on there, the whole PS2 freezes and I have to restart it. I think it is an effect of the mod chip I have in there to play imports, but I dunno. Anyone else have this problem? The main game also randomly freezes at certain point sometimes. Actually, it's always the same spots in the game, only sometimes it doens't do it. I dunno.

-Rob
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, I made it work just once, and could only select the first level because of that. But I can't make it work anymore no matter how many levels I clear.
Do you need to press A+B+C+START at the SEGA logo, intro text and the "legend of somethingorother"? Or wait a little, or press them in some specific order?

Sorry for the kinda off-topic, by the way, but I'm a bit desperate. =(
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I never had a problem with getting it to work at all. I just hold down ABC, and hit start at the title screen. Even if you hold down all three from the Sega logo on and keep hitting start until the continue/stage select screen comes on, I remember it working.

Another way to trigger it, though risky, and only tested ona model 1 Genesis, is to remove the cart with the power on and reinsert it. It may take 30 tries, but the level select will appear. BTW, similar tricks work for other games. In Thunder Force II, it causes unlimited lives sometimes. I Space Harrier (1? 2? I forget) it does the same, iirc. Thunder Force 3 had some weird stuff happen to the lives count, but the game died on me from doing it. Well, it was a rental, so I didn't care. Anyway, the trick works for a lot of games.

-Rob
handofg0d

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I've never tried such risky tactics... I kept my cheating to the old fashioned Game Genie variety.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Another way to trigger it, though risky, and only tested ona model 1 Genesis, is to remove the cart with the power on and reinsert it. It may take 30 tries, but the level select will appear.

Funny you mention that, since that's what I did the only time it appeared (also in a model 1, by the way). Stopped working after my first Game Over, though.

Quite wierd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: