Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:56 pm

VC Alternative, Week Two: Scarabeus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RossH wrote:
In my experience, any game that is good will make it to market eventually. I doubt there are any games that are sitting in a warehouse somewhere that would be a commercial success- the company that owned the rights would either put it out or sell it to someone else that would.

That is quite often true (The Red Star comes to mind), but not always - being a good game unfortunately doesn't always equate to commercial success. And if a system is reaching the end of its lifespan and a game for that system still hasn't been released, it's likely it never will be.

I suppose now it's possible unreleased games might make it out via download services and compilations, but that's only if the current rights holder is interested in doing anything with them (or even knows they own the rights, for that matter - sometimes they don't).
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RossH wrote:
In my experience, any game that is good will make it to market eventually. I doubt there are any games that are sitting in a warehouse somewhere that would be a commercial success

Rent-A-Hero, the halo DS game, Lamborghini, Revolt (Xbox), 100 Bullets, Deuce, Half-Life (Dreamcast), Propeller Arena, Starfox 2, Earthbound 3 (N64), and Shenmue (Saturn) would all like to have a chat with you.

Juiced and Madden 96 are off crying in the corner.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
RossH wrote:
In my experience, any game that is good will make it to market eventually. I doubt there are any games that are sitting in a warehouse somewhere that would be a commercial success

Rent-A-Hero, the halo DS game, Lamborghini, Revolt (Xbox), 100 Bullets, Deuce, Half-Life (Dreamcast), Propeller Arena, Starfox 2, Earthbound 3 (N64), and Shenmue (Saturn) would all like to have a chat with you.

Yes and No.
I kinda think that people often mistake personal interest in an unreleased title for market demand/interest.
And often think that 'cause they would've liked to see the game, everyone else would so too. And totally ignoring the fact that at the same time as the release of game _______ was set to be, there were other alternatives that possibly were more interesting or had some sort of market advantage over "unreleased title".
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
RossH wrote:

Juiced and Madden 96 are off crying in the corner.

We don't know that Mother 3 was any good, Shenmue did eventually come out (duh), so did Juiced, some of StarFox 2's ideas were used for the superior StarFox 64, you probably haven't played 100 Bullets because it wasn't very good, and Deuce doesn't seem like it ever neared completion.

Can't argue about Propellar Arena though, but I think Ross's point still stands. Propellar Arena's death was just an unfortunate effect of 9-11. If it was slated to be released for a healthy system, we probably would have seen it eventually.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some of StarFox 2's ideas were used for the superior StarFox 64

When I loaded up StarFox DS the first time, I honestly felt like I booted up a StarFox 2 (SFC) "final/sequal".
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:
Quote:
some of StarFox 2's ideas were used for the superior StarFox 64

When I loaded up StarFox DS the first time, I honestly felt like I booted up a StarFox 2 (SFC) "final/sequal".

Yeah, seriously. And as much as people give that game crap, I think it's more solid than StarFox 2.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:

Yes and No.
I kinda think that people often mistake personal interest in an unreleased title for market demand/interest.
And often think that 'cause they would've liked to see the game, everyone else would so too. And totally ignoring the fact that at the same time as the release of game _______ was set to be, there were other alternatives that possibly were more interesting or had some sort of market advantage over "unreleased title".

I don't disagree with your point, but with the aside of Shenmue which of those titles wouldn't have turned a profit? 100 bullets, while crap, would have turned a profit for the same reasons garbage like NARC can do it. I'm not particularly concerned if the game is any good, just that it would be commercially successful.
Dais

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
We don't know that Mother 3 was any good,

I think it's a fair assumption, though, even overlooking the fact that most impressions of it have been very positive. And it would have been a definite sale to every Earthbound fan, and there seem to be more of those than anyone is willing to deal with.

I looked over my informal list of cancelled games, and while it's true that a lot of these console/handheld games seemed doomed from birth, quite a few of the PC titles looked like they would've been hits (or at least notable releases). No idea whether to chalk that up to the nature of reporting on cancelled titles for the two different worlds or what....
sebmal

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

If the GBA version is anything to go by (and it most likely is seeing as how many areas from the N64 version are there) then I'd wager it was pretty damn awesome.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
Carnivol wrote:

Yes and No.

I don't disagree with your point, but with the aside of Shenmue which of those titles wouldn't have turned a profit? 100 bullets, while crap, would have turned a profit for the same reasons garbage like NARC can do it. I'm not particularly concerned if the game is any good, just that it would be commercially successful.

I don't remember NARC being profitable, when was that announced?
handofg0d

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:
Carnivol wrote:

Yes and No.

Right here.

Okay, I'm being a dick. The article doesn't mention NARC specifically, but NARC did release in Fiscal 2005...
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebmal wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

If the GBA version is anything to go by (and it most likely is seeing as how many areas from the N64 version are there)

Wait...how do you know which areas from the DD64 ended up in the GBA version? rbudrick is t3h confused.

-Rob
sebmal

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
sebmal wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

If the GBA version is anything to go by (and it most likely is seeing as how many areas from the N64 version are there)

Wait...how do you know which areas from the DD64 ended up in the GBA version? rbudrick is t3h confused.

-Rob

Pretty much every screenshot from the N64 version ended up in the GBA version in one way or antother. I think Starmen.net has some comparisons.

EDIT: Yup, they do. http://starmen.net/mother3/gameinfo/comparisons/
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but wasn't N64 Mother 3/EB64 buggy as hell?
That was Nintendo's reasoning for cancelling it.
And why else would they cancel such a high profile game?
And considering there were very few RPGs on the N64.
Dais

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT I MISUNDERSTOOD DUMB ME

EDIT: man I hate message boards

Last edited by Dais on Thu May 10, 2007 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebmal wrote:
rbudrick wrote:
sebmal wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

-Rob

Pretty much every screenshot from the N64 version ended up in the GBA version in one way or antother. I think Starmen.net has some comparisons.

EDIT: Yup, they do. http://starmen.net/mother3/gameinfo/comparisons/

Wow, thanks, man! It's great to finally know that both games were probably following the same story. ANybody hear if Corey has had any extra luck with those M3 disks yet?

-Rob
handofg0d

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
ANybody hear if Corey has had any extra luck with those M3 disks yet?

-Rob

I'm sure if he had, we would have ALL heard about it. Unless it just happened like RIGHT NOW... in which case we'd be hearing about it very soon.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

I much prefer spouting off random facts based off of conversations i vaguely remember. It's much more reliable.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
rbudrick wrote:
ANybody hear if Corey has had any extra luck with those M3 disks yet?

-Rob

I'm sure if he had, we would have ALL heard about it. Unless it just happened like RIGHT NOW... in which case we'd be hearing about it very soon.

Right, but I mean he needed a couple extra things to happen first, and I didn't know if he got ANY further with them. Of course, I didn't think they were dumped or anything yet.

-Rob
yemtrader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please repost this rom for download somewhere? The original link doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks in advance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: