Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 am

Rent a Hero No. 1 for Xbox...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_bag_of_sand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Rent a Hero No. 1 for Xbox... Reply with quote

Does any one know if they actualy finished the translation? And does any one know why they all of a sudden canceled it? It looked like a fun game, but probaly wouldent of sold too well here. None the less it probaly would of had a hard core fan base from the looks of it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was completed, but it got far enough to have a build at least partially playable in english. I actually passed up an english build for $300, I don't know who bought it.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I don't know if it was completed, but it got far enough to have a build at least partially playable in english. I actually passed up an english build for $300, I don't know who bought it.

If we're thinking of the same sale, the buyer would prefer to be anonymous. Like Red said, i don't know if it's completely translated, but enough to be playable. I also know there's more then one copy out there. The people i know to have it are what you guys would call... buttery...

As for why it was canceled, i think you answered your own question. A rabid but small following isn't enough to justify a game anymore. Certification alone is insanely expensive, plus the cost of stamping and the royalties to Microsoft
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm still waiting for somebody to translate Rent a Hero for the Genesis.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The publisher updated its site a few years back saying that the game was fully translated and ready for release, but was on indefinite hold due to "the current gaming climate."

EGM and GMR reviewed it, too, so there's got to be like a million copies floating around somewhere. Okay, maybe more like a dozen, but still.

I want this game really bad, by the way. I'm surprised it hasn't been ripped and distributed yet.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sardius wrote:
The publisher updated its site a few years back saying that the game was fully translated and ready for release, but was on indefinite hold due to "the current gaming climate."

EGM and GMR reviewed it, too, so there's got to be like a million copies floating around somewhere. Okay, maybe more like a dozen, but still.

I want this game really bad, by the way. I'm surprised it hasn't been ripped and distributed yet.

Well let's hope you're right about the number of copies. It would be a shame to see the translation go to complete waste.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supsrising the Genesis version wasn't even translated. Here is a partial translation if that helps. http://www.romhacking.net/trans/74/
The_bag_of_sand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it does get ripped, that way in the future when I decide to mod my Xbox I can play it. It looks really fun, I tried the Genesis rom but couldent get far due to the lack of Japanese I know (None). I am also surprised that it hasnt been translated. Another unlikely senerio is that Sega will translate the Genesis one and release it on Virtual Console (which is like a -00.1% chance).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
exodus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, translation was done - I talked to a company about bringing it out here, but it's too late for that now...
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitter. If RW Bivens had your attitude we never would've seen some true lost classics like Penn & Teller's Smoke & Mirrors. Shame on you.
exodus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, well this is one of those companies that needs to make money, though.

I don't know why a budget publisher hasn't picked it up though, frankly. where's 505 gamestreet when you need them?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy :(
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgAce looks at the release date for Red Star, looks at his watch. Waits....
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

505 abandoned the xbox a while back, it seems. Guilty Gear Isuka and whatever they were calling Shikigami no Shiro both got cancelled, at least - I'm sure i heard rumblings of them picking up Rent-a-Hero, but thinking about it I might just be making shit up.
JSzczep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Rami Galante (Managing Director of Digital Bros S.p.A. - AKA 505 Street Games) back in March 2005, asking about RAH1 and he replied, asking for more info on the game. Apparently he'd not heard of it.

So I sent him a bunch of links explaining the game, and bigging it up.

He seemed really keen after that.

I was going to post the emails, but after his name is the legal mumbo jumbo about not passing the emails on.

Anyway... I was really psyched about RaH1. I mean REALLY psyched. Actually, nearly all the original Xbox games I actually like are Sega ones. The rest is either multiformat, or crap.

Hopefully it gets ripped and released.
James

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey didn't you say you'd buy it up and horde it when this came up ages ago?

I think I wrote a funny post about fat knights questing for bubsy 3D protos and eating ham ;D
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
ProgAce looks at the release date for Red Star, looks at his watch. Waits....

Take Two announced a release date of April 6, 2007 for the PS2 version. I believe it's europe only though.

COULD IT BE TRUE?
JSzczep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
hey didn't you say you'd buy it up and horde it when this came up ages ago?

I think I wrote a funny post about fat knights questing for bubsy 3D protos and eating ham ;D

Hi James,

I don't recall saying I'd horde it, though I have made a lot of mentions in the past of wanting to acquire a journalist's copy of the English version. Myself and Jeremy Peebles spoke about this, at length, on the GameFAQs forum for RAH1. In fact, if I recall correctly, we both agreed that if either of us were to acquire it, and it never came out, we'd happily share copies with other fans. Then later I made enquiries on ASSEMbler's forum about the game, though no one was selling. If you can point out any remaining posts, anywhere, regarding me saying I'd horde it, please feel free to refresh my memory.

As for you writing a funny post, well, you always write funny posts, and so I have trouble differentiating between all of them in my memory.

Anyhoo, seeing as I now have a better paid job, I'd more than happily buy a journo's original English build of it. And yes James, I'd release it, if only to silence you for five blissful minutes.
Druid II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know about RAH1 is that it was translated more or less fully, but never released. A pity, I was really looking forward for this game.

Although, as Segagaga is currently in the process of being translated, maybe theres a chance that the same team will work on the DC RAH1 afterwards.

Also, I heard that a RAH remake was planned for the saturn first, but was canned (possibly the project was moved to the DC, as well as Shenmue: the games most likely feature similar engines). The remains of RAH Saturn can be seen in Fighters Megamix, where he is a playable fighter with his own vocal theme song (instrumental in overseas versions).
handofg0d

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow doubt it. The SegaGaga Translation is being offered as an unofficial patch to be applied to backup copies of SegaGaga. And they are doing it in their spare time as a side project. Considering that RAH1 was already (mostly) localized, a localization I doubt they have access to, I don't think they'd take the time to start from scratch. I could be completely wrong, as I don't know James Howell et. al. personally but it seems pretty unlikely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: