Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu May 09, 2024 12:47 pm

Pescatore bugfix v1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Pescatore bugfix v1.0 Reply with quote

Thanks to the magic of FCE Ultra movie files and a bored roommate (again, sorry for pulling you into this), I've finally tracked down the bug that was causing the game to randomly glitch and/or crash. Yay.

Pescatore bugfix v1.0

Technical blah: an NMI routine and the sound effect-playing code were sharing a couple of scratch RAM addresses. If NMI hit during a specific part of the sound code (usually when there was a lot of activity on-screen), it would overwrite an indirect JMP address and send the game into la-la land. Oops. Moving the JMP address elsewhere in RAM for the duration of NMI fixed the problem.

I also fixed the bug that was corrupting parts of the turtle sprite in the credits. The game was merely writing background tiles to the wrong VRAM addresses. Sigh.

Enjoy, or something.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I had wondered if it would have been possible to fix the freeze glitch. Thanks BMF. This is probably the closest the game will be to what a retail release would've been like.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still a lot that could be done (little touches here and there, such as making the ○ marks change into ● instead of flashing/animating or other tricks, like having a seperate copy of the tiles in VRAM that animate rather than animating the playing field itself) as well as a few other misc. things (2P mode, anybody?) but aside from that, at least it runs now. Hooray!

I'll probably do a mini-review of it later today if I get some free time, to explain some things. The review on Lost Levels is needlessly harsh and shows that whoever wrote it didn't have a damn clue about how to play it.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, BMF. I'd been wondering for a long time if the game had been dumped correctly due to the freezing issues and stuff. That's a relief to know it was a programming glitch rather than a bad dump. A bugfix without the altered copyright info would be kinda nice, though...
AlabasterGothe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Cool

I'm gonna have to try this out, and I've been playing this for the last few days too. Thanks for making me stay up late playing this fixed version now! Very Happy
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the text mostly so the ROM wouldn't get mistaken for an alternate revision (hello GoodNES), but I suppose I can release a ROM with just the bugfixes if enough people want it.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're insane, BMF. Thank you for being insane.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot BMF, makes the game much better.
Mind if I make a patch for preservation on romhacking.net?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, go for it.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a quick review-tutorial thing of the game here.

Hopefully it will be useful.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
I'll probably do a mini-review of it later today if I get some free time, to explain some things. The review on Lost Levels is needlessly harsh and shows that whoever wrote it didn't have a damn clue about how to play it.

To be fair, we really couldn't figure out what to DO with the game. We couldn't dig up any real information on the game and couldn't get ahold of anyone, so it ended up being a piece of mean fluff. I think Ichiban Crush did a good job with what nonexistent resources he had, and when you consider that we're not really trying to do reviews but the story of what happened (when possible), well, I don't think it was so bad.

The more the merrier, anyway. I haven't read what you wrote up yet, but I will sooner or later, and I'm sure I'll enjoy that too.

Meanwhile, BMF, you couldn't stop rocking if you tried.
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Robert M. McFly.

BMF, thanks again (for about the 4th time) for that Cheetahmen II patch you made about 7 or 8 years ago. People still ask me for that patch from my FAQ of the game.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-So, what do we do now, young sir Albert?
"That answer is simple, Dr.Johnson! To the PowerPak!"

Lovely, BMF! I suppose I'll have to try it out on my tr-/Dusty old NES if I get the time for it soon-ish. (Never actually got around to trying Pescatore in the first place)
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
The review on Lost Levels is needlessly harsh and shows that whoever wrote it didn't have a damn clue about how to play it.

Believe me, I probably know Pescatore inside and out (literally). More than I probably ever wanted to know. And that's including gameplay mechanics. So I think I have a pretty good idea on how to play the game.

Though I will admit I probably should have brought up the fact that the music was pretty good. However, as kap has stated, I wasn't really trying to review the game, but instead try to make an educated speculation as to why it went unreleased with only one real clue to go on; when it was revealed. I don't even believe it was mostly quality that killed it from release, but rather the times.

Play the original FDS PuyoPuyo (released, jeez, I'm guessing four years before that Shoshinkai show?) and compare. The styles are very much alike.

Pointless defenses aside... BMF, damn good work! I may have been a little rough on the game, but I think people should form their own opinions, and I think they deserve to do that without having the game crash with every other drop of squid stacks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: