Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:15 am

Forgotten game from Nintendo Power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zucot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Forgotten game from Nintendo Power Reply with quote

I apologize now if this belongs in another section of the boards...

I vaguely recall a special section in an issue of Nintendo Power (I want to say that it would've been in the SNES era) that featured the winner of a 'design your own game' contest. There were pictures of some kid and concept art from the design that he came up with (levels, bosses, etc.) The one visual that stands out in my mind is a boss concept for some gangster guy in a robotic/hovering wheelchair.

I remember it being pretty cool and have not been successful in finding that issue.

I also want to say that it was part of some CES coverage, but I could be way off there.

Anyone remember this?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That kid was J. Scott Campbell, who grew up to become a semi-famous comic book artist. He created (or co-created?) Gen 13 and Danger Girl.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! Nintendo Power #6 (May/June 1989), p. 95. You can download it from Retromags here, though I don't know what the signup process is like anymore:

http://www.retromags.com/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=220

Campbell also drew a poster for issue 200, and was the subject of an interview that talked a bit about Lockarm.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, since I had the issue out and the scanner on, I figured why not.

Make sure to click "All Sizes" to get the huge version.

Edit: relevant interview blurb from issue 200:

Quote:
It's funny. As an artist, you're constantly picking apart your own work, and I think there was a time period there where I would look at [the Invent the Ultimate Video Game submission] and cringe and kind of go, "Oh, I can do so much better now." But...there's been so much time that I look back on that and I really do see a charm to it. I look at the concept and the ideas I had and it was almost as though I couldn't cram them all into one video game concept.

In addition to the poster Campbell drew for #200, there is also some Zelda, Metroid and Mario art he drew around the same time as the Lockarm concept. I don't wanna scan it because it's only a few years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: