Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

SEGA's "secret room", trashed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: SEGA's "secret room", trashed? Reply with quote

Some of you might have read this article already. Somebody's just unveiled some room at SEGA of America with a ton of finished games and prototype disks.

If you look at the pics you'll see much of the released Genesis, Master System and Saturn stuff, and a lot of DreamCast prototypes including Propeller Arena, Dee Dee Planet and something called Sonic Proof.

This looked quite cool, and made me wonder if some insider would ever be able to show any of the interesting protos to the world... but then I read:
Quote:
drx said on irc yesterday that all this stuff got trashed.

So :( . Oh well.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...what? Trashed? As in, room -> dumpster?

Sega, what the HELL is wrong with you?!
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, what a waste. They should have at least sold it all on eBay for charity, like Nintendo of Canada did...
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let me get this straight. SEGA moves into a new building, begins setting up an archive room, community manager takes photos of it, updates it on Friday, and on Saturday SEGA destroys the entire room?

You obviously misunderstood, drx is probably talking about early builds of games, which are useless to the company.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever's the case, I hope he can give us some details whenever/if he comes back. =\
drx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, people tend to mix stuff up on IRC.

SEGA destroyed most if not all of its old stuff, carts, revisions etc. What you saw in that room is recent stuff. I know from several SEGA people who experienced the 'destruction' that for example several Sonic X-Treme builds saw their demise that way.

It's how I got some of my protos, anyway. The proto archives, a backup tape, an unreleased DC game (that i'm yet to release) that I got, they were all meant to be destroyed and were "saved" by the people I got this stuff from.

Apparently there was a lot more than just the discs I got (regarding archives), but it's all gone now.

I also know from someone else that as of ~2003 SOA possesses no sources / prototypes of any Sonic 1-3K (Megadrive) games, which I'd guess would be the case for any other games from that period. Of course, the person who gave this info could be unaware of some unlabelled discs laying around or discs in private offices or something.

It's sad really, especially when it comes to all those unreleased games. Very sad.

PS. I've been away for some time but I felt that this needed some straightening up. I will be back soon, with more proto goodness. I've got some fun stuff, like Fighting Force Saturn. If anyone is interested, shoot me an email Smile
neomerge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:

PS. I've been away for some time but I felt that this needed some straightening up. I will be back soon, with more proto goodness. I've got some fun stuff, like Fighting Force Saturn. If anyone is interested, shoot me an email Smile

Woohoo!!! I love the Fighting Force games!!

But yeah It's a shame to see this stuff just get trashed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Denny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you DRX Smile

Looking forward to more proto treasures and that DC game. Care to name it yet?
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A *lot* of stuff like that is trashed. Several of my prototype systems were literally pulled out of dumpsters...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: