Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 pm

MK genesis proto screenshots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: MK genesis proto screenshots Reply with quote

This post is to sort of make up for my last post claiming proto screens of Mk1, but they were not.

Note the off-pallette of the BG and HUD. Rayden is also spelled as Raiden. There is a SNES-ish title screen complete with a unused exhibition mode.

Also, to plug the drx's forum, which I uploaded this scan for in the first place:
http://forums.hidden-palace.org/viewtopic.php?t=2781

There's other scans that I found in that thread.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I remember that the earliest screenshots didn't even have levels yet, it was just the fighters in front of a plain gray background.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: MK genesis proto screenshots Reply with quote

deespence2929 wrote:
Rayden is also spelled as Raiden.

I'm pretty sure it was spelled like that in the final version, too. It was changed in either MK2 or 3.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they changed it to Rayden for the home versions because SNK owned the rights to the name Raiden, cause of some wrestler character in one of their games. When the rights to the name expired they finally were able to use Raiden in MK4.
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
That's cool. I remember that the earliest screenshots didn't even have levels yet, it was just the fighters in front of a plain gray background.

I remember that! And what's funny is I saw another issue of that magazine once, it was weird cause it was so totally a UK mag, since it was about the 'Megadrive' instead of the Genesis.

And I never thought about the 'Raiden/Rayden' thing .... though I'm surprised the MGS character got to spell it that way.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd, I once read in a magazine that the rayden/raiden issue was actually an internal conflict inside midway's mk dev teams. Some thought it was cool because RAYden shot electrical RAYs.

The only reason I even remember this is because I was retarded obsessed with MK as a kid. If it's true or not, or a magazine BS thing, I don't know. Could be either, as I've started to lose faith in the honesty of game magazines from the year 2000 and below. Fuck it. I don't trust any of them. I guess I'll have to dig through these fucking magazines I bought recently. Blah.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkTetsuya wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

I remember that! And what's funny is I saw another issue of that magazine once, it was weird cause it was so totally a UK mag, since it was about the 'Megadrive' instead of the Genesis.

I swear to god I saw screenshots of MK people and grey backgrounds in EGM. Am I the only one? (Do I need to scroll up and reread the rest of this thread? ...)
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
DarkTetsuya wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

I swear to god I saw screenshots of MK people and grey backgrounds in EGM. Am I the only one? (Do I need to scroll up and reread the rest of this thread? ...)

I remember that too, they mentioned something about that's how far the genesis version was done and backgrounds weren't in yet.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
DarkTetsuya wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

No, you can just read the thing you quoted and see how I already mentioned that. It was indeed EGM, and GamePro too I think.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the same EGM where they had the longest interview i've ever seen. Seriously, they interviewed Ed Boon for about 20 pages.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing the grey backgrounds and thinking about how much that version was going to suck. Ah, to be young and stupid again... Razz
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:
odd, I once read in a magazine that the rayden/raiden issue was actually an internal conflict inside midway's mk dev teams. Some thought it was cool because RAYden shot electrical RAYs.

The only reason I even remember this is because I was retarded obsessed with MK as a kid. If it's true or not, or a magazine BS thing, I don't know. Could be either, as I've started to lose faith in the honesty of game magazines from the year 2000 and below. Fuck it. I don't trust any of them. I guess I'll have to dig through these fucking magazines I bought recently. Blah.

If that were the case then the arcade games would of used Rayden from MK1 then on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: